Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you want to see in a Sin-eater Chronicle book?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ghost View Post

No, it really isn't. It's best interests is getting you to Synergy 0 so it can drive and you are bound and gagged in the trunk.
    Best interests possibly, but the books seem to make it out that the Geist gets annoyed at the Sin-Eater for hitting a breaking point and it seems Synergy 0 is basically the Geist saying 'Okay, I've had enough of your shit now...'. The book makes it seem that the Geist pretty much usually just wants to live vicariously in the back of the Sin-Eater's mind. The strange part comes in when building up Psyche means the Sin-Eater feels the pull to the Underworld, becomes more ghost-like and needs to spend time in the Underworld, where I think the Geist would rather keep playing Shadow with it's chosen Bound in the living world than play ghost-prison warden... Of course some Geists may like that kind of power play, so I don't know...

It's best interests seem to be keeping a Sin-Eater away from ghost stuff altogether, though a Sin-Eater needs their Plasm to defend themselves against more insistent ghosts looking for help, so it makes a vicious cycle of helping ghosts pass on to be able to defend against a potential Bigger Fish Yellowbones if one comes knocking...

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghost View Post

Out of curiosity, why did you go this way instead of something like, "Before play make a list of behaviors that you're Geist would find objectionable using this list as a model."?

It's not super clear in my write-up, but ignoring/acting against the Geist's Drive is a Breaking Point, as well. (Cf. the paragraph above the one you quoted.) The idea is that there are some actions that disturb the bond, regardless of what either the Sin-Eater or the Geist desire. These are generally things that spit in the face of the natural cycle of life and death. A big part of that is to underscore the themes of the game (as I set them out above).

I think that a system for easing some restrictions (becoming somewhat calloused as in Mage, or adopting something like a code from Hunter) would not be wildly out of the question. A way for the Geist and Sin-Eater to decide as a unit to ignore some deathly taboo in favor of their goals, but they'd suffer some distress (which would require more thought than I currently have to give it) as a trade-off.

Comment

• I'm actually drawn to the idea of a "Geist" game being made up of multiple protagonist splats: sineaters, wraiths, revenants, born-with-a-caul hard-core mediums; species essentially being a "W axis." Thresholds, Psyche, and most of the powers would make sense as the same for all of them - one or two inherent powers, systems for injury, and integritypes would be things that vary.

Comment

• Originally posted by SunlessNick View Post
          I'm actually drawn to the idea of a "Geist" game being made up of multiple protagonist splats: sineaters, wraiths, revenants, born-with-a-caul hard-core mediums; species essentially being a "W axis." Thresholds, Psyche, and most of the powers would make sense as the same for all of them - one or two inherent powers, systems for injury, and integritypes would be things that vary.
          That sounds good. Sounds similar to the Promethean splats.

Comment

• Originally posted by SunlessNick View Post
            I'm actually drawn to the idea of a "Geist" game being made up of multiple protagonist splats: sineaters, wraiths, revenants, born-with-a-caul hard-core mediums; species essentially being a "W axis." Thresholds, Psyche, and most of the powers would make sense as the same for all of them - one or two inherent powers, systems for injury, and integritypes would be things that vary.
            I don't know. The themes of Geist are already fairly dilute, and if we tried to spread it out any more, it'd be see-through.

Words of Wisdom from the Forums:
            "Don't be unlucky and get dead by a wolf-man."
            "Most of the current eras are too modern, we need 'Dark Eras: The electroweak epoch'."

Comment

• Originally posted by malonkey1 View Post
              I don't know. The themes of Geist are already fairly dilute, and if we tried to spread it out any more, it'd be see-through.
              Just like ghosts? ☺

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
              Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• I'm just hoping Geist the Sin-Eaters 2nd edition featuring the Krewe Chronicles gets made.

I trust the Devs to take their time and do it right; I still enjoyed the rushed original and I believe it can be something that can make even the best of them proud.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

• Originally posted by malonkey1 View Post
                  "How do* you live when you inescapably see the death beneath the world?" is a pretty good theme for any of the species I mention.

* Not "how do" as a synonym for "how can" - but as a choice, an expression of a self to strong for either life or death to contain.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anteros View Post
                    One of the things that bothered me most with the Sin-eaters was their lack of link to a real world legend. They could have been the WoD versions of soul reapers (like Shinigamis, the Ankou, etc..) or resurrection deities (like Osiris, Tammuz, Adonis, Attis...) at the center of fertility rites and mystery cults. Instead we have a strange combination of the cWoD Wraith and Mummy who don't really do anything the Moros weren't already doing before. It feels too much like they only exist because we needed a ghost splat to mirror the cWoD.
                    In short, I hope the second edition will move beyond that and give the Sin-Eaters the distinct identity they need and deserve.

A lot is being said about how Geist is about second chances and celebration of life. This aspect needs to make it into the game's mecanics and gameplay. Sin-Eater powers especially, should be as much about life and joy than about death and horror.
                    I always thought that that is what sin eaters are......the base for those legends. Although they have no real power in that direction (aside from making ghosts come alive and being able to devour them that is). They just did not feel "gritty" / "death" enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryu View Post
                      They just did not feel "gritty" / "death" enough.
                      As I understood it, that's the paint job. Looking at the details of their existence: hounded by restless shade, knowing full well what awaits most on the other side, and that there really is no decent way to escape your fate (without trading it for something worse). And through it all, you have a psychotic room-mate that's with you all the time (or your don't, actually, and that's just your schizophrenia personified).

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryu View Post
                        I always thought that that is what sin eaters are......the base for those legends. Although they have no real power in that direction (aside from making ghosts come alive and being able to devour them that is). They just did not feel "gritty" / "death" enough.

Nope! IRL, sin-eaters function more like shamans that specialize in funerals.

That said, I would not be opposed to Sin-Eaters being recast as Ghost-Claimed Exorcists or something similar. Still would like a name-change unless the scope of the game broadens from ghosts to spirits...

Would also still prefer a nWoD version of Wraith instead of (or at least in addition to) a second edition of this game.

Comment

• The equivalent of the Lucid Dead Numina would be nice to have in the Geist Corebook.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

• Emphasis on "the equivalent of". The Lucid Dead Numina was an exercise in concision — of getting as much utility out of as little space as possible. And the GMC rules for ephemeral entities connects Lucidity to rank, about which I have mixed feelings.

Comment

• All of my knowledge of Geist comes second hand so take these random ideas with a grain of salt.

you could emphasize the partnership between the two halves of the Sin-eaters by making it have a negative impact for the sin-eater to dominate the Geist and when the Geist dominates the sin-eater. so it is a partnership. some of the character creation is about the Geist and what it disagreements with the sin-eater are for the synergy compromise questions.

also as an alternative to the storyteller playing all the Geists each player controls two characters one sin-eater and one geist. Whether that geist is their own or an other players is up to the group

Comment

• Guys, I've given possible chronicles a lot of thought. Here are some ideas.

The Fragmented Chronicles (as in the ocean of fragments)
                                The Gatekeeper chronicles (as in the gates found within the underworld)
                                The Grey [Ghost] chronicles (exploring the perspective of ghost to sin eater and using them as antagonist when raising them above 2nd rank)(also their could be some added effects to the bargain and how synergy effects the "ghost" in the making within a sin eater)
                                The Highway Chronicles (effectively this would just be a midnight roads setting for Geist: The Sin Eaters; but a lot of it)
                                Sounding the Seventh Trumpet chronicle (This would be a vain attempt to stop the end of days. The interesting thing here would be showcasing Sin Eaters in an end of days setting because I love the idea of the RP between players when the bargain becomes absolute, do the players still care?)(There should also be a section in the book for tier 4 Sin Eaters, which is to say, not bound. I'd recommend some mechanic that allows for the synergy of the hybrid soul to harmonize with the underworld, I've been thinking of a mechanic named "Cacaphony". The hybrid tier 4 named "Barons" or "Baronesses" is not quite a death lord in function, but can control a lesser threshold for example: instead of death by deprivation - death by dreams or instead of death by chance - death by curse.)
                                To Rule Below (The idea here is a book entirely based upon how the dead dominions function in the greater scheme of things)(Sin Eater is basically a weak version of Werewolf due to a lack of investment, this is were we start investing. This book would explain the ramefications of manipulating the dead dominions and their inhabitants in the lower mysteries in the fallen world.)

There are plenty of ways to go about it and sadly even if this game line does make it to 2nd ed its growth has been so stunted that there's no way to know if it would ever be on par with the other lines. Personally Sin Eater has my favorite themes and is my favorite to run out of Cwod and Nwod. If there's any developers who want to tackle this game line send me a message, I'm willing to dedicate my personal time to see the most under appreciated line gets a second chance I just don't have the skill set to do it alone.

Comment

Working...
                                X