Sources of inspiration for Geist.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sources of inspiration for Geist.

I'm looking for sources of inspiration for Geist. So far I have the anime "Mirage of Blaze" on Hulu; the greywalker series by Kat Richardson (so far I've gotten through the 4th Novel Vanished and read the short story "The third death of the little clay dog" in the anthology "Mean Streets") and chapter 8: Ancestral Spirits and Graveyard Magic in "The Candle and the Crossroads: a book of appalachian conjure and southern root work by Orion Foxwood. Does anyone else have a source of inspiration they would like to recomend?

I would suggest the Blackwell Legacy games. The main character Rose has an almost geist like situation with her partner Joey.

Comment

The Crow is a given. Far from precise but can work for a Torn.

The ghost stories of M. R. James I always recommend for anything involving ghosts.

The Innocents with Deborah Kerr based on The Turn of the Screw by Henry James is a good ghost story movie, and The Turn of the Screw makes pretty good reading.

Onyx Path Moderator
      Forum Rules
      This is my mod voice. This is my goth voice.
      [Geist: Balance of Shadows ][ Vampire: The Conspiracy of Hrad Černá Hora ][ Scion: Bohemian Front][Changeling: Malibu Dream House] [Demon: Night Train Detective Agency] [WoD: The Golden Eagle]

Comment

I always thought the movie The Frighteners was good inspiration.

Comment

New BBC series "Intruders" is promising to be an interesting look at how an organization of Abmortals could work.

Eric Christian Berg
          Onyx Path Freelancer
          Promethean: The Created Second Edition, Dark Eras Companion

Comment

Paranorman.

Yes. Really.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

Comment

Originally posted by ElvesofZion View Post
              I always thought the movie The Frighteners was good inspiration.
              And Beetlejuice! There's a lot of great uses of the Caul Manifestations in there.

Simulacre: An Alternative Morality Stat for Prometheans
              Homebrew Athanors

Comment

Fades; great but sadly short lived BBC tv series.

“There are no rules. Only Principles and natural laws.” - Promethius
                My Homebrew no longer fits in a signature, you can find an index of it here.
                Full length fan-books I contributed too: Princess: the Hopeful, Leviathan: the Tempest, Dream Catchers

Comment

I'll second Beetlejuice here.

Onyx Path Moderator
                  Forum Rules
                  [Geist: Balance of Shadows ][ Vampire: The Conspiracy of Hrad Černá Hora ][ Scion: Bohemian Front][Changeling: Malibu Dream House] [Demon: Night Train Detective Agency] [WoD: The Golden Eagle]

Comment

I've started to read a newly released comic series called 'Hexed' and it has a dimension in the second issue called the Shade, which is an Afterlife kind of place. Perhaps the main character Lucifer fits more into the Mage bracket than a Sin-Eater, though I loved the interpretation of The Shade and want to describe the Underworld more like that come specific Dead Domains.

Of course there are certain scenes in the film Jacob's Ladder, especially when the main character is wheeled into a hellish hospital place that reminds me very much of how the Underworld is described.

OST-wise, I think very much of 'We are the People' by Empire of the Sun, moreso the music video when it comes to things like Flesh Fairs, Wakes, etc.

Comment

It's not a good game, but Beyond: Two Souls is why I found out about/got into Geist in the first place. It's about a girl with a ghostly partner who can possess people, heal her, drain the life out of people, and do telekinesis. A big chunk of the game is dedicated to investigating ghost activity. The climax is basically shutting down a man-made Avernian Gate that's just vomiting ghosts everywhere.

Too bad it suuuuuucks.

"Nihhina kalekal-zidu kal masun, kal manudanadu. Nihhina kalekal-zidu nukal shaghu-desasudu — nihhina kalekal-zidu kal innu-desasudu udhkal samm." Arthur Ashe
                      Check out my tumblr for Chronicles of Darkness-related musings
                      He/him pronouns, please

Comment

A new movie called "As Above, So Below" ended up being quite interesting to me when seen as a journey thru the Underworld.

- If you must be ridiculous, I must ridicule you.
                        - Those that can give up essential liberties in exchange for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Oculus is another recent ghosty-ish film... Haven't seen it myself, but my friend thought quite highly of it. Might be worth checking out.

Comment

I know it's already listed in the corebook, but "Dead Like Me" is perfect. It has the right characters right down to the splats, the right interactions with ghosts, but especially the right tone. You died, maybe your past life is precluded to you, you have your inner struggles and you have to help other deadies, but you are alive, so celebrate! The main characters are even in a kind of crew and there is sort of a mythology behind it!

Italian nuisance. English is my second language, so be patient!

My homebrew:
                            [VtR 2e] Light From a Dead Star: Rome

Comment

It's a song not a book or movie, but Smaller God by Darling Violetta (from the Bloodlines Soundtrack) is really as good a Geist song as you are likely to find.
                              Last edited by Baroness Nerak; 10-02-2014, 06:16 PM.

Onyx Path Moderator
                              Forum Rules

Comment

Working...
                              X