Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
    The Darkness comic, and games
    Marvel Spiderman's Symbiot characters
    Bleach maybe? The swords have identities
    Soul Eater
    Shaman King

nWoD Warhammer Fantasy RPG,
    WoD Wraith: The Oblivion
    and Infernum-style Demon: The Descent, Shadows of Abaddon --> http://madnessforums.com/forums/inde...opic,26.0.html

Comment

I came to this thread a few years ago to get inspiration for my first sin eater game and now, having created several long running storys that were well received by my players, I think the greatest inspirations for this gameline for me was horrific world news made sensible by the gallows humor of philosophers like Neitzsche and Seneca.

Comment

Tim Burton's The Corpse Bride seems very Geisty to me. Probably because its a lovely little ghost story. Perhaps the Land of the Dead is a bit too upbeat for a Dead Dominion, but there are arcane rules you have to follow even there. You could even see the Corpse Bride as a Geist who would have bonded with Victor had he finished the deadly wedding ritual.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Abattoir works as an amazing story. I won't lay out any spoilers here, however, I have borrowed HEAVILY from this in an ongoing Geist game. The players seem to enjoy it a lot.

"Kinda I want to" - Trent Reznor

Comment

In volume 5 of Twin Star Exorcists it is revealed that exorcists get their power from the spirits of a dead exorcist. I don't know if they go over this in the anime or not, I've only gotten up to episode 35 so far.

​mefathiel8 can you give us some quotes of Nietzsche and Seneca that have helped frame World events for you?

Comment

The game Beyond: Two Souls comes to mind.

Comment

The Abhorsen series by Garth Nix could work well, especially for Gatekeepers. The series follows a sect of necromancers dedicated not to raising zombies, but maintaining the balance between the living and the dead.

Lupe Fiasco's The Cool could also be interpreted as a Geist story, with Michael Young History being the Bound and The Game being a Geist. Then again, this being The Cool, it can be interpreted to mean near about *anything*.
                Last edited by Borne; 05-23-2018, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Evil Dead for antagonists is always fun and many Sin Eaters do end up dealing with some occultist experiment gone horribly wrong. Cemetery Man is another good one if you want a decent depiction of what a Gatekeeper Sin Eater gets up to.

Comment

One I don't think I've seen: the Greywalker series of Urban Fantasy novels by Kat Richardson. I never finished the series, unfortunately, but they involve a detective who dies and comes back able to see "the Grey," the world that ghosts seem to inhabit, and even enter it partially. There are a few other powers that are reminiscent of a Sin Eater as well that are a bit spoilery.

Also, Mike Carey's Felix Castor novels have a lot of focus on ghosts, making them ultimately responsible for just about every supernatural thing except demons (which are another matter entirely). Vampires, zombies, and werebeasts are all the result of undead spirits inhabiting various physical forms.

Comment

I can't watch the History, Discovery, or Travel channels anymore without seeing potential cenotes, Haunts (1e vernacular, can't get my head around the new terms), and Avernian Gates everywhere. From the Nazca water funnels with their deep aquifers to the Puerta de Hayu Marca to the ritual chamber underneath the Pyramid of the Feathered Serpent with its miniature scale model "Underworld" and liquid mercury channels, there are some great mysterious locations out there in the world. Even Ancient Aliens features a lot of "mystical" places from ancient civilizations.

Comment

Originally posted by Chesh View Post
                        Haunts (1e vernacular, can't get my head around the new terms)
                        We haven't got a replacement term for Haunt yet, so you're in the clear.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                        Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                        Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Actually, the topic of Avernian Gates reminds me of Rick Riordan's novels, especially Heroes of Olympus - the fourth book is called "The House of Hades" and deals with having to find the titular structure and close the doors to the Underworld. Might be an idea for an inspiration for an Avernian Gate. That book also has some interesting investigation of the Underworld as well.

Comment

Originally posted by EndlessKng View Post
                            Actually, the topic of Avernian Gates reminds me of Rick Riordan's novels, especially Heroes of Olympus - the fourth book is called "The House of Hades" and deals with having to find the titular structure and close the doors to the Underworld. Might be an idea for an inspiration for an Avernian Gate. That book also has some interesting investigation of the Underworld as well.

I agree with the first part and love Rick Riordan, but his Underworld is a true afterlife instead of just a prison for ghosts.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Working...
                            X