What Do You Love About Geist?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Do You Love About Geist?

Geist: The Sin-Eaters gets a lotta love on these boards. While I certainly appreciate the unique weirdness of the game, I'm not over the moon with it as some of you guys are.

So help me catch the passion! Tell me what it is you love about this game, and why you love it. What does it bring you that other WoD games or other RPGs don't?

Simulacre: An Alternative Morality Stat for Prometheans
    Homebrew Athanors

It's a celebration of life, and of the things that tie us to to life and what they mean to people. That's certainly the best part of the game.
    Last edited by Christian A; 11-20-2014, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Everything that has to do with the Great Below(Kerboroi,Deathlords,the Dead Dominions,etc). The customization of the Krewes, and the sheer coolness of budding up with one of the Geister.

Comment

I enjoy Geist as a good horror game with a lot of macabre feel which is not as angsty as many ghost/death type games. It is part Beetlejuice and part Crow, but the mood can easily swing either way. Given the general lack of society, it can be used almost as a blue book game with some emphasis on hauntings, though making ghosts provide a combat challenge is difficult at best. Sin-Eaters also make good additions to other games as NPCs, given their talking with the dead and returning from the dead themselves, can make for implacable foes.

Overall I like the tone and flexibility of the game. You can do a lot with it, and it seems to encourage you to use more of the WoD in conjunction with it. The style of the game lends itself to very interesting and deep characters in my experience, and one of my most successful campaigns has been run with Geist. So I really like it.

Onyx Path Moderator
        Forum Rules
        This is my mod voice. This is my goth voice.
        [Geist: Balance of Shadows ][ Vampire: The Conspiracy of Hrad Černá Hora ][ Scion: Bohemian Front][Changeling: Malibu Dream House] [Demon: Night Train Detective Agency] [WoD: The Golden Eagle]

Comment

I enjoy Geist for a fair number of reasons-in fact, before Mummy and Demon forced me to reconsider things(and I'm still doing so), Geist was my third favorite game, and it was there only because Werewolf was technically more coherent mechanically. These days, I just know I really like the game, and I want to take a second to say that I can't wait for when Jason leads 2nd Edition, and if I'm not hired by that point I hope he'll hire me for Geist*.(This is how things are in my head, yes)

Geist is great as this sort of psychotic, multiple-personality-disordered carnival, all devil-may-care smiles and slow walks of remembrance. It's this psycho-spiritual/personal histories junkyard of a character/game, full of Jungian shadows, broken watches, and comic book mythologies. It should be a sad game-and it is, as all characters you come across should have a story, one's marked with some form of pain-but it's not at the same time, it hurts in good ways and it lives and breathes and dances even as it's crying. It has the sense of duty that Forsaken has without some of the strictness of opinion about it, and it has the vibrant, beautiful personal recovery story of Changeling without getting caught up on harsh particulars unless you want to. It's scary and powerful and thoughtful.

I would say that if I had to pick one, It would be that psycho-spiritual/historical junkyard aspect that defines characters and setting, but really Geist has a lot to love. These are, in many ways, my kind of people, good or bad, so I blend with them well.

*I would totally write a setting for El Paso, and it would be awesome.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Onyx Path Freelancer
          Working on:The Hedge(?), Night Horrors: Enemy Action
          The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

One of the things I find really cool about Geist is the fact that Sin-Eaters don't correlate perfectly to any kind of classical monster. You can point at a lot of different things, the myth of Osiris, Siberian shamans, ghost stories of every stripe, early 20th century spiritism, vodoun, hoodoo, revenants, Sadako, that all influence Geist in one way or another, but none of which you could definitively call a Sin-Eater. So a lot of the game feels like this empty-yet-suggestive space that you get to fill up with things you find cool without having to worry too much about being "unfaithful" to the original source or what-have-you.

Comment

I really like the personal customization of each character's Geist and Bargain. I feel it combines the internal character growth of a Mage's Awakening with the pure grim imagination of a Changeling's Keeper. That and how each Geist is still a Ghost at heart despite how much they embody a specific form of death, and that when all brought home creates one of the most creepy/coolest metaphorical "devil on your shoulder" in any WoD game.

Comment

I like Geist for the splendid marriage of life and death. Enough said.

Comment

It's a rum-soaked funeral with a big band and bitter-sweet songs. Perfect

Comment

Geist is a carnival that you get invited to just by dying. There's always a crowd, the food is free (and deep fried) and there's never a hangover (because you're dead). Every ride is an exciting, edge-of-your-seat affair, because it might kill you again. Each and every structure isoutright unsafe, with missing rails and broken supports, but there's no reason not to explore. The further in you go the more garish and frightening the carnival gets, with freak shows and parties. Pulses get fewer and fewer until at some point the only people near you haven't been people for centuries.

Geist is a game that lets you play both sides of the coin: living and dead, sober and drunk, joy and tragedy, funeral and birthday party. More than any other World of Darkness game, Geist wants you to change things, it wants you to build things however you want: character, geist, krewe, and kult. It can be played as a rollicking drinking song or played slow like a dirge.

Comment

I love the idea of Krewe's making their own death cult mythos

Fool's Corner Productions: Where we review Video Game, and eventually tabletop RPGs

Comment

Geist is the game that brought me into storytelling games so it will always have a special place in my heart. The thing I love the most about it though is the fact that there's no mandatory angst about it like other WoD lines. The characters can still lead human lives, still aspire to their old dreams-and maybe push even harder towards them now they know how fragile life really is. And it even encourages players to make characters that enjoy life. It says that yeah, the world of darkness can really suck sometimes, but you could be dead, and you chose not to be, so it can't be all bad can it?

Comment

I love its Underworld.

Comment

Originally posted by SunlessNick View Post
                            I love its Underworld.
                            And manifesting things
                            Boom-de-yada, boom-de-yada,
                            Boom-de-yada, boom-de-yada

Comment

Setting. Oh lord the setting. If you haven't read Book of the Dead, do yourself a favor and fix that fact. I love the little hints peppered about the place that there's really something else going on, and that the Sin-Eaters were once a part of something bigger than they are now. Like how it's a sin against Synergy for them to enter the Underworld. Granted, a fairly trivial sin, but a sin nonetheless -- it says to me Sin-Eaters were once meant to be guides to but not through the Afterlife.

Comment

Working...
                              X