Detecting Other Supernaturals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detecting Other Supernaturals

So I'm about to play my first Sin-Eater, and as I've got a pretty hard jonesing for a specific ability, I have a question: Do Sin-Eaters have an aura-perception ability (or equivalent) that shows what type of supernatural template someone is? I see that Passion Oracle lets you see someone's emotional aura, but I'm looking for something more like Mage's Prime Sight or Vampire's Auspex -- something able to be used in the moment. I'm sure that Sin-Eaters have several ways of digging for information about people in a long-term sense, obviously.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

They do have the ability to sense a persons relative health/ when they are likely to die (don't have the book on me so I am just going from memory). When I played one in a mix game, I could tell that the vampire was dead but didn't exactly know what he was. Same would work with a Promethean.

Comment

Originally posted by ElvesofZion View Post
      They do have the ability to sense a persons relative health/ when they are likely to die (don't have the book on me so I am just going from memory). When I played one in a mix game, I could tell that the vampire was dead but didn't exactly know what he was. Same would work with a Promethean.
      At the very least, the fact that higher level supers have inhuman maximum ages might be a clue as well.

Comment

Theres a Manifestation - Phantasm Oracle, I think - which lets you see through any and all illusions.
        I would argue that that abillity lets you see through stuff like a Changelings or a Prometheans mask thingie. Vampires have allready been covered, and I'd like a Werewolf would look inhumanly healthy and partically in Twillight. Mages, well...Outside of Aura, I dont see that working unless you catch them doing magic stuff.

Comment

They way I do it:

Vampires: Easy, no powers needed.

Werewolf: Checking their Aura with Passion Oracle would show something, but otherwise not detectable without wolfing out.

Mage: Not really detectable.

Promethean: Does not show as really alive to a passive glance, has a manner of death. Phantasm Oracle can see Disfigurements.

Changelings: Phantasm Oracle gives a chance to see through the Mask but as always, it is resisted and has a penalty to do so. Checking their Aura can reveal something too, but gives less info if you don't know what you are looking for.

Mummies: Like Vampires and Prometheans, they don't show as alive to a passive scan, so are somewhat easier to detect, though not necessarily identify.

Demons: Not really detectable. A GM might say you could try Passion Oracle Aura check ( which would be spoofed), tho I don't allow it

Onyx Path Moderator
          Forum Rules
          This is my mod voice. This is my goth voice.
          [Geist: Balance of Shadows ][ Vampire: The Conspiracy of Hrad Černá Hora ][ Scion: Bohemian Front][Changeling: Malibu Dream House] [Demon: Night Train Detective Agency] [WoD: The Golden Eagle]

Comment

If we go by the book, Mummies are supposed to register as simultaneously dead and alive to abilities that can tell either one or both. So chances are, an Arisen would be a really weird thing for a Sin-Eater to look at. GM fiat applies, as with everything, but it's something that makes sense, considering their unique natures.

I think it's also worth making the distinction that "not alive" might not necessarily equal "dead" in the case of the Prometheans. Not all of them at least, I'd say.

And technically, Spoofing only prevents abilities from recognizing the Unchained as something other than a human. It does not stop any other function they may have, and in the case of things that don't affect them directly or are always passive, like a Bound's death senses, Supernatural Tolerance from Cover would most likely not even apply. Arguably, Demons would always ping as "alive".
            Last edited by YeOfLittleFaith; 12-11-2014, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Samedi View Post

Mummies: Like Vampires and Prometheans, they don't show as alive to a passive scan, so are somewhat easier to detect, though not necessarily identify.
              I always forget about mummies when thinking of the 'dead' splats.

Comment

Ghosts might be able to tell, depending on their influences, numina, or possibly even merits (if the game includes lucid dead and if you let them have access to supernatural merits).

There might be fetters that can detect supernaturals, although such would probably be pretty rare.

Comment

Thanks for all the input and help! There were some great ideas tossed around!

Comment

I have a few questions about Sin-Eaters in regards to other Sin-Eaters. I may have missed this in the core rulebook, but can Sin-Eaters detect other Sin-Eaters? Like if one is in the same room with another Sin-Eater, can they tell that the person is bound to a Geist by looking at them? Would they have to view Twilight in order to tell? Also, can they see another Sin-Eater's Geist (like a ghost possession) or does the Sin-Eater have to allow their Geist to be seen by other Sin-Eaters?

Comment

Sin-Eaters can see Bound Geister if they're not hiding within their hosts as a function of their ability to see ghosts.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                      Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                        Sin-Eaters can see Bound Geister if they're not hiding within their hosts as a function of their ability to see ghosts.
                        What you said sort of feels off, the Geist doesn't "hide" within their Bound partner. And wasn't it stated that Geister only "appear" in the host's mind. Sin-Eaters can't usually see the Geister of other Bound regardless, hence the guy making an app to help Sin-eaters find each other.
                        Last edited by Korogra; 04-20-2015, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Quite. Although, a Sin-Eater can still walk up to another person and groupe them, thereby checking their Threshold. If the person is alive and has a Threshold, the person is most likely a Sin-Eater. Few other things have died and returned to life.

Comment

Originally posted by Korogra View Post

What you said sort of feels off, the Geist doesn't "hide" within their Bound partner. And wasn't it stated that Geister only "appear" in the host's mind. Sin-Eaters can't usually see the Geister of other Bound regardless, hence the guy making an app to help Sin-eaters find each other.
                            Incorrect.

Originally posted by Geist: the Sin-Eaters Core Rulebook v1.1, p19, "Merging, Not Possession," Paragraph 2, Sentence 5.
                            That said, other Sin-Eaters can perceive the geist of a fellow Bound, unless the geist deliberately chooses to “lie low,” dwelling within its host and remaining subtle around others.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                            Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Okay, so then they can see another's Geist, unless the Geist chooses to "lie low." I re-read the section on page 19 that you highlighted. Other than that though, it doesn't go into any further detail. How are all of you handling this rule in your own games? Thanks for the responses!

Comment

Working...
                              X