mementos as weapons?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mementos as weapons?

I've read that in twilight mementos can be used as weapons to fight. Now I understand it if the memento is a knife or maybe a gun... but what when it comes to be a tea spoon rather than a tennis shoe? It's qute easy to write on a book "mementos are weapons" but putting it into dramatical terms, how can a sin-eater face supernatural beings wielding a teddy bear?

Short Answer: Metaphysical weight.

Long Answer: Reality in Twilight is not based on physical laws as we'd understand them - instead, how much something produces an emotional or metaphysical resonance gives you their "value". And mementos all bleed Death resonance; that teaspoon got filled with the full importance of someone's death... and so you can use it to beat up ghosts.

If it helps, think of it as an (odd) enchanted item - I'm vaguely reminded of the Hoe of Destruction.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

Comment

But I'm still thinking in terms of dramatical acion... I mean I know that the spoon gains some powers within the twilight but in practical terms what happens to the spoon? It turns into a flaming blade or it's still a tea spoon? Right now I'm imagining a sin-eater which try to stab a serial killer ghost with a tea spoon and it's not really epic after all!
      Last edited by Ipergigio; 12-29-2014, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Is shanking someone really supposed to be epic? It's still a spoon (though I guess you could have it reshape into a sword or something...)

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

Comment

If you think that having mementos actually turn into weapons when used offensively (spoon into sword, as suggested) is silly, you could make mementos have a sort of short range telekinetic/curse attack. Low level mementos leave bruises with blunt impacts (bashing damage), medium level mementos leave cuts and gashes (lethal damage) and high level mementos leave bizarre wounds, such as burning tatoos into bodies and squeezing them so hard that they vomit their insides (aggravated damage).

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

Ah, then a memento works likely tools used by mages to cast spells?

Comment

Originally posted by Ipergigio View Post
              Ah, then a memento works likely tools used by mages to cast spells?
              Probably not. At most, I would give a dice bonus equal to a memento's dot rating to Death and/or Spirit spells. You can boost your Death and/or Spirit spells with multiple mementos, but the maximum bonus a mage could get this way for each spell would be +5. Maybe there could be a drawback in the form of unwanted attention from ghosts, geister and similar beings.

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

In Jim Butcher's "Ghost Story", there was a revolver that fired memories to destroy ghosts. Along those lines I'd suggest something like an energy blast, but everyone who sees it feels/knows the resonance. So a spoon used to poison someone looks like blasts of this nasty looking liquid that gives off teargas-ish fumes.

Comment

Well, if stabbing someone with a spoon isn't to your taste, maybe wrapping your fist around it and hitting them with it works, in the same way that holding a roll of quarters and punching someone would hurt them (and you, but let's not quibble) more. As for a tennis shoe. . . wear it and kick them. A teddy bear could be an acceptable flail-type weapon, holding it by the arm and swinging the body at them. . . picture the body of the bear weighted like a sock filled with loose change, and that could do some damage.

My Geist GMC Updates
                  My Infinite Macabre Goodies
                  Parasite Eve: The Third Birthday Chronicle
                  Shamelessly pimping my book

Comment

Working...
                  X