Geist: God's Own Country

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geist: God's Own Country

So guys, what did you think about Geist Dark Era? I was really blown away by it, liked a lot, didn't know anything about New Zealand and didn't expect much, it was a real surprise!

Really appreciated the tacit reminder that ghostly Twilight is a lot more busy than spiritual Twilight, as well as the implications about the role the Underworld plays in the way the world runs and why Ghosts Being Around is generally Bad News.

Likewise glad to see examples of the Underworld and the Shadow interconnecting and Ned's personality issues suggesting how the Bound metaphysically correlate to their geister.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
    Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

I thought Cam and Michelle did an excellent job with it.

I'm happy to see people that were dismissing it at first glance actually giving it a read and being blown away by it. Don't judge a book by its cover, or in this case, don't judge a chapter by a tiny blurb as it may be.

-MMM

Operations Manager - Onyx Path Publishing
      Owner/Editor - FlamesRising.com

Comment

I gave it a solid shot, I really did, but it just isn't gelling with me. The most I'm getting out of it is the idea of the maelstrom, which is pretty fucking cool.

Call me Remi. Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

I have to concur with atamajakki. I think it comes down to the choice of theme; colonialism is... well it's practically what Sin-Eaters are supposed to be doing. Look at the sidebar "Supernatural Trash Culture" in the Geist corebook.

I don't want to get distracted by talking about the real world politics; lets just say that portraying Sin-Eaters as trying to fix the problems caused by two cultures mashing together; rather than causing those problems seems upside down to me.

“There are no rules. Only Principles and natural laws.” - Promethius
          My Homebrew no longer fits in a signature, you can find an index of it here.
          Full length fan-books I contributed too: Princess: the Hopeful, Leviathan: the Tempest, Dream Catchers

Comment

I think it is more about the role of the Sin Eater as the mediators between the living and the dead then them as creators of myths. You have two cultures, the old one and the new one, and the passage between the two creates chaos through all the Heavens and Hells in the multiverse. The change has happened too fast to the old traditions to adjust, and as a result you have things like the Maelstrom and many angry dead. While Sin Eaters could just go on and mix everything up, it won't help the transition between cultures, and the dead would still haunt them in the search for a way out- which is an integral part of what a Sin Eater is, IMO.

Also, I think that there is a difference between the modern Sin Eaters and the Sin eaters of that Era. Today, a Sin Eater can mix everything he wants together because today, there is no real "supernatural significance" to every tradition (at least, in the West). The western culture is a liberal one, which is built upon more abstract values then old and binding traditions. On the Dark Era, however, you have a culture which was built years by years by the local Bound in order to supervise the dead, and now some new people come, ruin the old traditions and taboos and all hell breaks loose. Most people can't see or hear what happens, but the Sin Eaters can. This is their responsibility to find a solution- although, some may want to do so just to make the ghosts stop screaming in their ears..

that is, at least, how I see it.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Maybe I'm a little out of the loop, but was there more to read about the Geist setting besides the tiny blurb on the kickstarter page?

Comment

Originally posted by derpnibbles View Post
                Maybe I'm a little out of the loop, but was there more to read about the Geist setting besides the tiny blurb on the kickstarter page?
                The entire unedited text of the first set of Dark Eras is available on Google Drive through a link in the section just past the blurb for Demon's Into the Cold setting.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Originally posted by The Kings Raven View Post
                  I have to concur with atamajakki. I think it comes down to the choice of theme; colonialism is... well it's practically what Sin-Eaters are supposed to be doing. Look at the sidebar "Supernatural Trash Culture" in the Geist corebook.

I don't want to get distracted by talking about the real world politics; lets just say that portraying Sin-Eaters as trying to fix the problems caused by two cultures mashing together; rather than causing those problems seems upside down to me.

I'm not following. Sin-Eaters adopt cultural elements of their environment - that's... kind of the opposite of forcefully obliterating the cultures of conquered peoples (i.e. colonialism).

I mean, you can say there's some overlap with the problems of Cultural Appropriation - certainly. But the core problem colonialism here is the annihilation of culture and identity.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                    I'm not following. Sin-Eaters adopt cultural elements of their environment - that's... kind of the opposite of forcefully obliterating the cultures of conquered peoples (i.e. colonialism).
                    Colonalism, as interpreted by Gods Own Country, isn't the obliteration of culture, and certainly not the forceful obliteration. It's two different cultures forced together in a high pressure situation with one having the advantage - that's basically the Bound in a nutshell.

A Bound is like a 1950s Māori. The Māori has a strong cultural background, but must adapt, he goes to work in a factory run by another culture and learns to, at least partially, play by it's rulebook. The Bound has a strong cultural background (e.g. small town American), but must adapt, he goes to work among Death and learns to, at least partially, play by it's culture and rulebook.

However this is portrayed in positive terms for the Bound. It's a Second Chance at life, Bound culture is a riot of colour, symbolism, and jazz parties. In God's Own Country it's portrayed as a bad thing, wracking the islands with the Malestrom.

The labels, colonialism, cultural appropriation, don't really matter. Call it whatever you like. It's the descrepency between how it's portrayed in Geist core and how it's portrayed in God's own Country that bothers me.
                    Last edited by The Kings Raven; 02-07-2015, 10:13 AM.

“There are no rules. Only Principles and natural laws.” - Promethius
                    My Homebrew no longer fits in a signature, you can find an index of it here.
                    Full length fan-books I contributed too: Princess: the Hopeful, Leviathan: the Tempest, Dream Catchers

Comment

Working...
                    X