Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is Old is New

First things first. I love this game.

That said, I have been out of the white-wolf loop for a while. Prior to now my last purchase was the Mage Chronicler's Guide when it came out in hard-back some years ago. Truth be told I thought that the WoD had died with CCP, but I am glad to see that I was wrong.

My questions for anyone willing to answer are as follows: What have I missed Geist-wise since Book of the Dead was published? I did see someone in another thread mention a 1.1 version. Has there been an FAQ fixing some of the editing issues in the original book? Does anyone know if it is likely that this game will see more support? That the Geist/Changeling crossover in Dark Ages is winning soundly has me optimistic.

Overall this is one of my favorite world of darkness games. Sitting soundly on my shelf next to WtF and CtL. The book is beautiful and the setting is wonderfully evocative. I have my fingers crossed that it gets the attention it deserves.

If you buy a copy of Geist now, it's fixed up in regards to a lot of things.

And that's about it. Second Edition might get announced this year though, which should open the floodgates for supplements.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
    Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.
    Currently Working On: The Noble and the Sovereign, Blog

Comment

Sadly, Geist hit during some turbulent years in White Wolf's operating history, as well you know. You haven't missed much. A short PDF of a ready-made krewe of player characters was published for Geist in the same style as the other gamelines have received; Mortal Remains, a Hunter supplement, dedicated a chapter to the Bound as seen from the perspective of hunters, dropping some plot hooks that could probably be run with in a dedicated Geist game; Glimpses of the Unknown, a short PDF of brief story hooks for each gameline, has a section for Geist; Dark Eras has God's Own Country, of course, and hopefully the Three Kingdoms era you mention too.

More support in the future seems like a more optimistic prospect. So far, since Blood & Smoke, every nWoD gameline has had a second edition corebook officially announced, in order of publication, up to CtL. If that trend continues, I think odds are good we'll hear about resurrecting Geist when the official announcement period extends. There are definitely writers who've done work for Onyx Path and who must be chomping at the bit to try to give Geist more love and make it something enticing that everybody wants to play.
      Last edited by Stupid Loserman; 02-20-2015, 04:53 AM.

Comment

1.1 was an incorporation of various errata that came out back in June 2012 — DTRPG currently has that version, if I'm not mistaken.

Geist had its Ready-Made Characters PDF released a couple of months ago, and Hunter supplement Mortal Remains (last April-ish) had a chapter on "ghostwalkers" just as it did chapters on Prometheans, changelings, mummies, and demons. There's also little tidbits scattered throughout books like Glimpses of the Unknown and the Mirrors bluebook series, along with a bit of a story-seed in Demon's Splintered City: Seattle supplement.

Now it's got a Dark Era set in 1950s New Zealand and stands to share extra-era space with Changeling in Three Kingdoms-age China if the current poll goes its way while the Kickstarter is going on.

I'm not sure, but I think that covers the majority of the official Geist-related material from the last five years so far.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
        Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

That's all I know of right off.

Onyx Path Moderator
          Forum Rules
          This is my mod voice. This is my goth voice.
          [Geist: Balance of Shadows ][ Vampire: The Conspiracy of Hrad Černá Hora ][ Scion: Bohemian Front][Changeling: Malibu Dream House] [Demon: Night Train Detective Agency] [WoD: The Golden Eagle]

Comment

I would like to stress that the New Zealand Dark Era is excellent. It seems like a weird place to set Geist, but it provides a lot of interesting stuff that can be mined for ideas if you don't want to run a game in 1950s New Zealand.

Comment

With the close of the Kickstarter, we now know that Geist is getting a chapter in the Dark Eras companion, set in the Roanoke colony, so that's something else to look forward to.

Comment

As well as Sin-Eaters in Three Kingdoms China. That should be fun.

Onyx Path Moderator
                Forum Rules
                This is my mod voice. This is my goth voice.
                [Geist: Balance of Shadows ][ Vampire: The Conspiracy of Hrad Černá Hora ][ Scion: Bohemian Front][Changeling: Malibu Dream House] [Demon: Night Train Detective Agency] [WoD: The Golden Eagle]

Comment

Oh, I forgot. It's not Geist but the Mummy the Curse core book gives Ghosts new Numia including some that turn them into a playable splat.

Yes, NWoD 1st ed got playable Ghosts in it's last gameline even though it would've been a fantastic tool to give Geist. If nothing else, ghosts with Passions instead of Anchors would have helped flesh out Geist's supported rogue's gallery.
                  And while I'm mooching off other non-Geist books for good ideas, the Immortals 'blue book' suplliement helps give you options for Abmortals. Bloodbathers are relitivly obvious but Body-theives have interesting possibilities. Imagine a krewe attempting to lay a ghost to rest only to find that it's body is very much alive...

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Originally posted by FallenEco View Post
                    Oh, I forgot. It's not Geist but the Mummy the Curse core book gives Ghosts new Numia including some that turn them into a playable splat.

Yes, NWoD 1st ed got playable Ghosts in it's last gameline even though it would've been a fantastic tool to give Geist. If nothing else, ghosts with Passions instead of Anchors would have helped flesh out Geist's supported rogue's gallery.
                    And while I'm mooching off other non-Geist books for good ideas, the Immortals 'blue book' suplliement helps give you options for Abmortals. Bloodbathers are relitivly obvious but Body-theives have interesting possibilities. Imagine a krewe attempting to lay a ghost to rest only to find that it's body is very much alive...
                    I made a thread for this, incidentally.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                    Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Working...
                    X