Origin of the Kerberos and Dominions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Origin of the Kerberos and Dominions

Just wondering what some of you have done for explaining the existence of Kerberos in the underworld. Personally, I go with the approach that anything be it human, Sin-Eater, ghost, etc has the potential to become a Kerberos, they simply need certain triggers.

1) A reason to stay in the area
    2) A reason to enforce rules for others
    3) Survive

In this way, the Dominion doesn't create the Kerberos, but rather the personality in question creates the Dominion around it. Now this doesn't mean a Dominion can't have a replacement Kerberos as seen with Boom Town, but again, we are dealing essentially with a who, what, and why.

I dont have any hard baselines, because I want the Underworld to get strange and frightening, and setting hardline rules is a decent way to take the edge off things. Geist isn't really about understanding the intrisicasies of things as Mage is, so it doesn't need hard and fast metaphysics.

That said, some of the Krewes I use in my scenario has various explanations. One Krewe believes that a person can linger in certain parts of the Underworld and through their emotions and desires, shape that part. If they're powerful, they may not be killed off by whatever else resides in that area which allows their nacent Dominion to grow. When that Dominion reaches a certain point, it becomes self pepetuating. Even if the original Kerberos is destroyed, a new one will rise that mirrors it to a degree, yet subtily different. Kinda like how The Endless works in the Sandman comics.
    In this fashion, the Kerberos are tangible manifestations of raw emotion and will, percieved through the bleak lense of the Underworld, which itself is born of the self-destructive nihillism that humanity seems so very inclined toward.

I have another Krewe who believes that the Underworld is the metaphysical crater left by the fall of Lucifer after he was expunged from Heaven and that it is their duty to salvage Ghosts out of it, so that the entropic pull of the Underworld doesn't allow the Ghosts to wander too far down and be devored by Lucifer and aiding his return.
    By this explanation, the Kerberos are angels of God, who have been sent to make sure that the Ghosts linger as long as possible on each of their realms, so that the Devils return may be postponed for as long as possible.

Comment

Kerberoi is the plural; Kerberos is the singular.

My pet theory is that the reason we see know Tier 3 krewes is because any krewe that manages it descends into the Underworld to create a Dominion shaped by their ethos.

Remi. she/her. game designer.

Comment

In my cosmology, I have tied the Kereboi to the curse of Death from the God Machine story-

The Kereboi are the third faction. While those creatures are the manifestation of the Old Laws which were written by the local Deathlord, they actually aren't bound to their will. They are the creations of the curse of Death, and the byproducts of the Deathlord's ascension. The Deathlords are, after all, beings of chaos and change, who mutate the Great Below to fit to their own view. The Kereboi, however, force the Laws which were made by them- even if it is against the will of their "master". making it that even the Deathlord can't break its own Law. It may change them, of course, or remove them entirely- by as long as they are valid, the Kereboi makes sure that everything would work as written. That is why the Horsemen are seen which such a respect- they have freed themselves from their own Laws, becoming a force free forever from the curse of Death.
        also, when I've made my own version for Abrahamic cosmology, I did this-

Geists (or Rephaim) are those angels which have found escape in the Underworld during the rebellion in order to escape Hell (for it is so distant from the light of the God that they are protected from his wrath). Because of that, they can't leave the Underworld (or Sheol) out of fear that they'll be discovered and punished, which is why they bind themselves to human souls. The Chatonian are those angels which died during the Rebellion, while the Kereboi are those angels which God made in order to supervise the Underworld. The reason that Ceremonies work in the weird way they work is because the Underworld is actually a limtless potential of concepts which God has thrown away and could be used bu those with connection to the Underworld. The Horsemen are exactly what they are- the Horsemen of thew Apocalypse, which gather and army of dead souls while waiting to destroy the world.
        Last edited by LostLight; 03-09-2015, 02:45 PM.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

I say that Kereboi used to be Deathlords. All of them.

The Old Laws were dynamically updated and mad sense, until the Deathlord lost it's connection to life (it's worshippers and it's Krewe of priests), and the Laws, and the Deathlord, froze into a Kereboi.

The Underworld is nothing more than a cosmic junk pile. Thousands of forgotten gods, Their laws and testaments outdated and meaningless outside the context of the living societies that formed them.

“There are no rules. Only Principles and natural laws.” - Promethius
          My Homebrew no longer fits in a signature, you can find an index of it here.
          Full length fan-books I contributed too: Princess: the Hopeful, Leviathan: the Tempest, Dream Catchers

Comment

I have another Krewe who believes that the Underworld is the metaphysical crater left by the fall of Lucifer after he was expunged from Heaven and that it is their duty to salvage Ghosts out of it, so that the entropic pull of the Underworld doesn't allow the Ghosts to wander too far down and be devored by Lucifer and aiding his return.
            By this explanation, the Kerberos are angels of God, who have been sent to make sure that the Ghosts linger as long as possible on each of their realms, so that the Devils return may be postponed for as long as possible.
            I like this idea purely as it links to Mount Purgatory from Dante's Divine Comedy. Its a bit old world of darkness, what with Lucifer and all for my own tastes, though I still like that some Sin-Eater krewes may make that link.

Comment

Working...
            X