What the heck is a Cthonian?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the heck is a Cthonian?

I've seen people mention Cthonians several times, often as an antagonist to Sin-Eaters, but I've looked all through G:tSE and the Book of the Dead, with no mention of them at all. Could somebody fill me in on the basics of what they are, and where they appear?

Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

The short answer is, they're native inhabitants of the deep Underworld who were never living beings, stillborn alien creatures. Things like the anomalies and unknown entities mentioned on the corebook, page 280. Mages name them as cthonians because mages like naming and categorizing things they don't understand; they receive a brief treatment in the Summoners book for Mage.

Comment

Okay, I see. I really feel like they could have gotten a better bit of development in Geist, because as a concept, they're pretty freakin' cool.

Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

Comment

I like the concept of the Chthonians being the ghosts of long-dead pre-human races that have retreated down into the Lower most parts of the Lower Mysteries to avoid the human ghosts crowding their home. There may be some link with them to demons (you decide which ones), perhaps being the ghosts of them or having some link to The Beast from Vampire. They feed on ghosts that happen to cross them and are unintelligable in communication unless they've recently eaten a ghost and are amalgamating with it, which keeps them existing, one might say.

They're different altogether from the Kerberoi I think, as for one I don't think a Chthonian that is able to communicate could teach a Bound the Stygian Manifestation like a Kerberos can and they have nothing to do with the Old Laws, they're more like animals, only eating their fill and they tend not to have anything understandable to say when met if they do talk. They could be alot of things though it's generally agreed they're ancient ghosts that aren't human in origin (at least anymore) though there is mention they are part of The Old Gods and the Deathlords of legend are the most powerful of all the Chthonians (though of course noone's ever seen a Deathlord).

The Chthonic Beast from Mummy:the Curse is one of their number also.

Comment

Originally posted by Stupid Loserman View Post
          The short answer is, they're native inhabitants of the deep Underworld who were never living beings, stillborn alien creatures. Things like the anomalies and unknown entities mentioned on the corebook, page 280. Mages name them as cthonians because mages like naming and categorizing things they don't understand; they receive a brief treatment in the Summoners book for Mage.

this is pretty accurate. These beings are utterly alien and were never alive, living in underworld before any human ghosts. Some mages managed to mind-read them and these beings don't even register a human interaction in any meaningful way. Range in power from the level of freshly made ghosts to the stillborn gods (rank 6+).

Comment

Originally posted by Stupid Loserman View Post
            Mages name them as cthonians because mages like naming and categorizing things they don't understand; they receive a brief treatment in the Summoners book for Mage.
            They are also referred to as chthonians in Geist, though I can't recall the page numbers off hand.

Comment

Working...
            X