No announcement yet.

What's the difference? Sin Eaters vs Mortal Psychics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I agree that Sin-Eater lack good antagonists as per the books, I dont think you cant easily grap other antagonists from other lines and retool them to fit in with Geist rather easily.
    For example, I straight up merged the old Wraith setting with Geist, giving me the chance to use the Specters and other Void affiliated creeps as antagonists from that. To that effect, I've also used Necromancers rather effectively and a group of Void worshipping mages are the kick-off to one of my games biggest story lines.
    I've also planned to have The Strix be locked up in the Underworld and the events of the game will eventually lead to their release if things continue down the path they're on at pressent.
    I also use The Posessed from Inferno and their counter parts, the Empyrean (also technically Posessed, I guess), as a sorta loose mirror of the Sin-Eaters.
    I've also planned to introduce a group of mindless slavering beings called The Empty, which are Ghosts who have lost all their anchors and replaced them a mindless hunger and miopic desire to sustain themselves in an effort to escape oblivion. They'll be kinda like a Geistyfied version of the Pandoran from Promethean, laying dormant only to raise as Sin-Eaters approach. Probably I'll introduce a Sin-Eater or Necromancer who uses them as a labor force and personal army at some point, but at this stage, they haven't even been introduced yet.

And thats not even touching on the things I pulled straight out of the Geist book itself. I have a Kerberoi who runs an art gallery, and has comissioned a new set of paintings. Of course this gallery is one of death in all its hedious froms, and it being in the middle of Victorian times when industry and technology was becomming a greater factor in society, so the Curator has comissioned a set of works detailing horrific industrial and technology massacres. Of course he needs a mortal artist to paint these works, because reasons.
    I also took The Glorious Church of the Unified Spirit from Book of the Dead and expanded upon it. At pressent, its a Krewe led by a selfish Sin-Eater who uses it as little more than a power basis and stepping stone into victorian high society. Eventually though, the churchs fanaticism will outg grow his abillity to contain it, and they'll kick him out/kill him and the remaining members will go full on Sacrosanct.
    And then theres a ghost of that one sargent who died just short of a hundred years ago, whom one member of the group has promised to help retrieve his gun. With the ghosts Ancor within reach of the Krewes only Avernian Gate, displeasing that ghost could have nasty results for the Krewe.
    I've also pulled that one Lynch Tree (detailed in the core Geist book, I think), which one Krewe member deprived of its main food source, the ghosts of lynched black men from ages past. Without a source of nurishment, the thing has awakened from its slumber and will soon goad the nearby village into a cascade of unreasonable hatred, in an effort to regain a handfull of lynch-victims which it may feed upon.

And then thats not even touching on the Krewe politics that I've also set up or the Abmortals that I haven't even bothered to use as of yet!

My point is, its not that Geist doesn't have antagonists and its not even that Geist doesn't have antagonists in its own material writeup. The 'problem' is that Geist doesn't have a "big baddie" ala the Seers or Exarchs, the Pure Tribes, The True Fae or even the Centimani.
    Honestly, I dont nessesarily think the absence of a "big baddie" is actually a problem in and of itself, but if you're like me and enjoy a "main villian" then just import the concept of Oblivion/The Void from Wraith and go with that. You dont even need to implement the whole darn thing like I have. Just take the concept of a well of pure utter Oblivion resting in the deepest reaches of The Underworld and make a few Ghosts/Sin-Eaters/Mages who worship this nihilistic darkness, and you have yourself a pretty good primary antagonist.

Comment

Originally posted by Krobeles View Post
      You dont even need to implement the whole darn thing like I have. Just take the concept of a well of pure utter Oblivion resting in the deepest reaches of The Underworld and make a few Ghosts/Sin-Eaters/Mages who worship this nihilistic darkness, and you have yourself a pretty good primary antagonist.
      Actually, that's a lot like the antagonists in DV, so yeah totally works.Although they have something akin to Kereboi or Cthonians on their side as well.

I didn't mention the antagonists myself cause I didn't really think it was a 'difference'. They are just a story element that can be used, with whatever mechanics fit. Like Krobeles suggested.

Comment

Originally posted by Mangle77 View Post
        DV also has strong antagonists, which my group found Geist to be lacking.
        Actually, GtSE has a number of strong antagonists. The problem, IMHO, is that the book fails to go into strong detail, and fails to convey a number of things. So... Antagonists -

1 - Reapers and Bonepickers. While they don't have to be evil, these two can very quickly devolve into Sanctified serial killers and ghost slavers. This is like the equivalent to VII and Belial's Brood, or the Pure and Bale Hounds. Sin eaters respect the boundry between life and death, and enemy Bound abuse it.

2 - Kerberos/ death gods play an active roll in the game, sending up servants and ghosts to manipulate the world to their liking. They send up assassins to drag certain souls down to keep. Some are more evil, craving life. The Abyss from Death Vigil works as an evil keroberos.

3 - the undead. I forget the name off the top of my head, but basically? The ones that had the sample ghost-eater guy?

4 - Unattached Geister. They can come to the mortal world, each with their own dark motivation. They work as basically more poweful evil ghosts in 1e, since there's a limit to regular ghosts.

There are others, but less dynamic. But lots of possibilities that really could have been fleshed out more. Really, this is the weakness of Geist. It was billed as a highly custom, barebones game line. But that left so much underdeveloped and up to individual STs to build up the skeleton frame with meat and flesh.

Comment

Originally posted by MCN View Post
          3 - the undead. I forget the name off the top of my head, but basically? The ones that had the sample ghost-eater guy?
          Abmortals. Not quite undead, they're defined by cheating death through making others suffer in some way, from the old lady who survives by spreading the plague that would have killed her, or the bridge-jumper who made a deal with something so that he'd live so long as someone died in his place every so often.

Comment

Originally posted by Krobeles View Post
            I've also planned to introduce a group of mindless slavering beings called The Empty, which are Ghosts who have lost all their anchors and replaced them a mindless hunger and miopic desire to sustain themselves in an effort to escape oblivion. They'll be kinda like a Geistyfied version of the Pandoran from Promethean, laying dormant only to raise as Sin-Eaters approach. Probably I'll introduce a Sin-Eater or Necromancer who uses them as a labor force and personal army at some point, but at this stage, they haven't even been introduced yet.
            I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I once again find myself reminded of the Hollows, from the anime series Bleach:http://www.mangareader.net/94/bleach.html

"A free society is one in which it is safe to be unpopular."

Comment

Bleach is another good example of the Grim Reaper connection, rather than Mortal Psychics/Mediums one.

Comment

Working...
              X