Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice for running post-apocalyptic geist chronicle?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for running post-apocalyptic geist chronicle?

Recently I was considering running a Sin-eater chronicle set in a post apocalyptic world somewhat inspired by games like Fallout and The last of us, And I was just wondering if there were any source books or fiction I should check out for handy game mechanics and inspiration, or just some advice from roleplayers who have done similar scenarios.

World of Darkness: Mirrors has an entire section devoted to various categories of postapocalyptic setting, including subsections on how all the gamelines up through Geist might be impacted by whatever class of ragnarok you care to throw at the world.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
    Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

One source of inspiration which you may not have considered: Resident Evil 3 and 4 (the movies). No, no, hear me out.

If you take a somewhat loose look at the movies, in 3 Alice is a Torn whose Geist pushes her to seeking revenge for her death in RE2. Umbrella is a company that has fucked around with ressurection-in-a-bottle and has therefore seriously damaged the threshold between life and death, leading to the zombies. As long as they exist, the rent will not be able to be fixed, particularly because they keep pushing that research as far as possible. Her 'bonding with the T-virus' could be interpreted, within this light, as her being part-dead, ie a Bound.

In 4, she's taken to collecting coins from an economy which no longer exists. Later we see that this is to serve as makeshift ammunition, but it could just as easily be her slipping Synergy causing her Geist to affect her behaviour. It also seems to vanish the moment Umbrella comes back on the scene, incidentally supporting this hypothesis; the primary target for her Geist's agenda is now present, so it loses focus on what was - to it - a minor distraction.

So, in terms of how this might tie to your particular game, imagine how a krewe might act in a similar, post-apocalyptic (with or without zombies) situation. What would their Geists demand? How would the barrier between life and death handle an apocalyptic event, and what would be the consequences of this?

Just a thought which might be helpful. *shrug*
      Last edited by Allan53; 07-02-2015, 01:35 AM.

My Commandments for GMs My Commandments for Players

Comment

Thanks to both of you, you pointed me in some pretty good directions. I downloaded a PDF of the Mirrors sourcebook, and was pleasantly suprised- It provided not only advice for running post-apocalyptic games, but provided rules for things like starvation and finding shelter. The Alice as Sin-eater theory is just absolutely magical (I watched it again from that view point-almost a whole different movie!. one last question- Any supllements that cover items like powered armor,energy weapons, and other near-future Sci-Fi equipment? I've read through every applicable sourcebook I could find (Hunter; the Vigil, God machine chronicle, armory [Reloaded and original) but no sign of anything of the sort.

Comment

Reloaded is really the closest you're going to get, to my knowledge. It has a section in the third chapter about building your own advanced weaponry, but it seems to mostly be focussed on the solid-projectile style of weapon (based on a quick look, the only laser weapon they have is the DEBS, and that's a heavy weapon meant to be mounted on a vehicle). They do have a little power armour, but it's kind of crap.

EDIT: Figures just after I post that I remember Infinite Macabre. It's not extensive, by any measure, but it has two 'advanced' weapons; an energy pistol and a bio-rifle, along with a vibro-knife, power gloves, and an ion grenade. Might also help as a starting point.
          Last edited by Allan53; 07-08-2015, 08:03 PM.

Comment

In Hunter, Task Force Valkyrie has Mjolnir Canons, both handheld and mounted.

Comment

Originally posted by Lollyfox View Post
              Recently I was considering running a Sin-eater chronicle set in a post apocalyptic world somewhat inspired by games like Fallout and The last of us, And I was just wondering if there were any source books or fiction I should check out for handy game mechanics and inspiration, or just some advice from roleplayers who have done similar scenarios.
              Yeah, the world did end and this is not the future. The players need never know that the whole game could take place in the upper mysteries as it has now expanded into the still born form of our world. Its entire population has no idea why the laws of physics suddenly changed to suit the upper mysteries but they did. Also, the upper reaches are now SOO large, that the roof of the cavern can't be seen by the naked eye and those that do lose their mind when they recall the end of mankind as the fight or flight instinct in the brain can't reconcile the truth and forces either madness or denial.

Comment

Originally posted by mefathiel8 View Post

Yeah, the world did end and this is not the future. The players need never know that the whole game could take place in the upper mysteries as it has now expanded into the still born form of our world. Its entire population has no idea why the laws of physics suddenly changed to suit the upper mysteries but they did. Also, the upper reaches are now SOO large, that the roof of the cavern can't be seen by the naked eye and those that do lose their mind when they recall the end of mankind as the fight or flight instinct in the brain can't reconcile the truth and forces either madness or denial.
                Sorry, maybe I'm just stupid, but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Could you explain what you mean, please?

It just seems like there's some background context that I'm just not getting. Cavern? Upper mysteries? Are you saying that the world 'dropped' into the Underworld or something?

Comment

Originally posted by mefathiel8 View Post

Sorry if I didn't organize my thoughts well before posting. What I was suggesting was have a post apocalyptic game that takes place entirely in the underworld. Due to the way mortals tend to block out any memories of the supernatural world as a coping mechanism I think it'd be really interesting to run a game literally "after" the end of all life on the planet (the players included). I was using term Upper Mysteries in the context that its used in Geist: The Sin Eaters to describe the realm of the Underworld closest to the surface of the mortal realm. If you catch my meaning in that, then you can follow the logic that few of the NPC's who are in your setting would realize that they're actually dead. Instead you could just insinuate such a thing from time to time by mentioning that there aren't any stars in the sky or that after a year or two has passed in game, the mortal NPC's aren't aging, social dynamics that require progression are stagnating (kids can't graduate to the next grade in school). It's a bit out there but I think it'd make for a great plot twist at the end, especially if you lay all of the clues through out the story.

Comment

Working...
                  X