What Are Cthonians?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Are Cthonians?

So reading the sourcebook, I'm not sure I understand the concept of Cthonians. Are they supposed to be animals? Predecessor races? Quasi-spirits?

Freaky dead things that were never alive. Natives of the Underworld, or possibly naturalized intruders from emptier parts of reality. Mage's supplement Summoners talks about them in a fair amount of detail, but the gist of it is they're weird things from the Underworld that don't quite approach sapience in a direct fashion and tend to keep to the quieter parts of the Big Black.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
    Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

I interpret them as the dead and fragmentary remains of things that existed in erased timelines, or the dead remains of lost realities.

Comment

For me, Chtonians is a catch-it-all phrase for all kinds of weird sh*t which walks around the Underworld. Dead Old Gods from the Supernal, banished Stygian God Kings, ghosts of races which came before humanity (like dinosaurs), spontaneous creation out of death energy taking form, amalgam of thousands of different ghosts, the ghosts of natural disasters, relics of bygone ages, the native denizens of the Great Below, ancient and mad ghosts, the Neverborn from Wraith, any combination of the above and any other terrifying possibility you can imagine.

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

My new flagship project- Vigilant Times! Take a look and feel free to help

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
          For me, Chtonians is a catch-it-all phrase for all kinds of weird sh*t which walks around the Underworld. Dead Old Gods from the Supernal, banished Stygian God Kings, ghosts of races which came before humanity (like dinosaurs), spontaneous creation out of death energy taking form, amalgam of thousands of different ghosts, the ghosts of natural disasters, relics of bygone ages, the native denizens of the Great Below, ancient and mad ghosts, the Neverborn from Wraith, any combination of the above and any other terrifying possibility you can imagine.
          All of that. Most of which is too alien for even Sineaters to sort them into the different things they are.

Comment

I would like to see, in a future supplement, Cthonic Sin-Eaters. People who somehow got a Cthonian in them like a Sin-Eater got a Geist. I feel like it could be an interesting sort of mystery Antagonist, and good impetus for Sin-Eaters to try and learn more about the Cthonians.

Words of Wisdom from the Forums:
            "Don't be unlucky and get dead by a wolf-man."
            "Most of the current eras are too modern, we need 'Dark Eras: The electroweak epoch'."

Comment

Once I've had a similar ideal of developing the Abmortal sample from the sidebar about a Kereboi bound Sin Eater. Maybe there could be an whole supplement about weird underworld things binding people.

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

My new flagship project- Vigilant Times! Take a look and feel free to help

Comment

Once I've had a similar ideal of developing the Abmortal sample from the sidebar about a Kereboi bound Sin Eater. Maybe there could be an whole supplement about weird underworld things binding people.
                Rules as written, the Kerberoi can travel between Dead Dominions to a fair extent, but can't leave the Underworld. It can work as an abnormal phenomenon that challenges the notions that Sin-Eaters have of their purview, however. I recall DaveB saying that Kerberoi in 2e will be Rank 6+ ghosts, so the standard way for one of them to "Bind" themselves to someone would be to create a Royal Avatar in the form of a Rank 5 Geist who shares its personality and general abilities. The Summoners supplement for 1e Mage says that Cthonians can leave the Underworld, but are always in Twilight during their stay. Sin-Eaters who are Bound to a Cthonian probably lack Synergy altogether, and maybe suffer from a persistent Condition that makes ghosts instinctively fear or despise them (if they are even considered Sin-Eaters in-universe).

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

Summoners says that Cthonians feed on ghosts and are so alien that they don't even register human interactions. but, yeah, making a human/cthonian thin would be interesting.

Comment

That'd be an interesting idea; perhaps we could get a minor splat for Geist, like how Ghouls are to Vampire. Being bound to something other than a Geist may come with a number of neat perks, but not all of the ones that a Geist could/would give. I've actually had an idea for a minor splat where instead of being bound to a Geist, the person's soul starts changing into something resembling a Geist, but it's still a work in progress.

Comment

If it were my Chronicle, I might rule that a number of Chtonians are supernal inhabitants of Stygia that have scuttled through some sort of nether demense or verge.

Comment

Working...
                      X