Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Geist Anthology - What kind of stories could you see being included?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geist Anthology - What kind of stories could you see being included?

So, much as I've tried, I've failed to find much in the way of fiction with Sin Eaters as the main focus (with the noted exception of Baroness Nerak's lovely Balance Of Shadows). The closest I've really found to a proper short story was at the start of "Book Of The Dead", which is a shame - I'd love to see an anthology work like Demon: Interface for Geist, with a few short stories inside and perhaps a new ceremony or domain/aspect of the underworld demonstrated within.

Given that a Geist book isn't so likely to emerge at this point in its lifespan (at least, not before it gets a second edition) what kind of stories could you guys see being included in one? Though I don't presume such a work to introduce as ground breaking features as Interface did, such as a whole new type of Demon/Sin Eater, I'm still curious as to what ideas are stirring in the community.

Me? I would love to see an Abmortal using a version of alcohol poisoning to keep on living - he gets a person into a drinking contest, and drops a pill into a special tumbler with a divide between them, and the person who drinks the part with the pill loses. He drinks the poured glass that the other doesn't...and yet he succeeds every single time, his opponents falling unconscious stone drunk, before succumbing to alcohol poisoning the next drink they have. To him, liquor is water.

Question is, how does he always get the right glass?
    Last edited by Taidragon; 02-02-2016, 03:28 AM.

It'd be cool to read a story about a Sin-Eater who's been killed and resurrected, and is now following the threads of the aftermath of the person who died in their place.

Comment

Originally posted by espritdecalmar View Post
      It'd be cool to read a story about a Sin-Eater who's been killed and resurrected, and is now following the threads of the aftermath of the person who died in their place.
      That's quite a human thing to do - that is, taking responsibility for the death they inadvertently caused someone simply for their own survival. It could also be taken in a selfish or self-less way - the Sin Eater is looking for mementos, or trying to take advantage of the situation otherwise, or they're genuinely trying to bring some solace into the circle of family and friends they tore someone away from. Or perhaps they're trying to wash the guilt off - there's a lot that can be done with that kind of premise. I like it. :-)

Comment

I'd love a story that hinted at Mummy crossover, but only because I have some interesting theories on that.

More fiction dealing with folks other than the Bound mucking about with ghosts and the Underworld are always fum, like that military group mentioned in Book of the Dead or the Orpheus Group of oWoD fame.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Now that'd be an interesting idea - a group of Hunters lost in the underworld re-emerge like individuals of the Orpheus group. Perhaps it could lead to a minor splat to Sin Eaters of some kind, like how Ghouls are to Vampires - maybe they're people who can shape plasm but can't control it enough to use manifestations, or they can use them but not nearly so well as a Sin Eater could.

As for other supernaturals roaming around the underworld, I've been pondering on a Beast going about after being separated from the Sin Eaters he came in with, perhaps accidentally getting into a domain and attracting the attention of a kerberos...and then frightening the poor thing in a display of power/dominance, before wandering out back to the group. That's not to say it wouldn't go after him, but still...I wonder if a Makara Beast could find a way through certain rivers of the underworld rather than having to go across them?

Comment

Originally posted by Taidragon View Post
            Now that'd be an interesting idea - a group of Hunters lost in the underworld re-emerge like individuals of the Orpheus group. Perhaps it could lead to a minor splat to Sin Eaters of some kind, like how Ghouls are to Vampires - maybe they're people who can shape plasm but can't control it enough to use manifestations, or they can use them but not nearly so well as a Sin Eater could.

As for other supernaturals roaming around the underworld, I've been pondering on a Beast going about after being separated from the Sin Eaters he came in with, perhaps accidentally getting into a domain and attracting the attention of a kerberos...and then frightening the poor thing in a display of power/dominance, before wandering out back to the group. That's not to say it wouldn't go after him, but still...I wonder if a Makara Beast could find a way through certain rivers of the underworld rather than having to go across them?
            A Geist minor template would ideally be about individuals who survived near-death experiences.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

It may be raw and emotional for some people, but I'd like to hear the story of Lea Hudson and how she came to take the bargain in the collapse of the Twin Towers. Actually, an entire set of stories following the New York Sin Eaters through 2001 would be heart rending but fascinating at the same time.

CofD booklists:
              Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

A Geist minor template would ideally be about individuals who survived near-death experiences.
                Maybe such a person might have their soul slightly "unstuck", allowing them to "astrally project" a ghost version of themselves?

Comment

Another idea I've had (which I'm working into a foe my players will face) is a sort of perversion of the Dorian Gray painting. A woman named Blanc Dutemps is doing professional oil paintings in a city; her works are spread across a local doctor's office, and he recommends his clients to go to see her when they get tests done involving their blood. What nobody realizes is that Blanc has been living for quite some time as an Abmortal, the doctor as her cohort and kept alive by the same way. Blanc infuses her oil paints with her victims' blood and she makes a portrait of them, frequently as a commission; after some time has passed, as much time as possible, she slashes the painting's canvas to bits, the victim dying painfully but quickly. The time that the victim spent alive while the painting is intact is transfered to a portrait Blanc has of herself, and once that painting is itself cut to ribbons, Blanc receives that much time (she may even gain some extra time in a kind of interest).

The failing is that Blanc has to avoid removing the paint from the canvas itself as she cuts it, as every bit chipped off reduces the time gained. Likewise, the paintings must be at least started of the person in-person, though they can be completed away from them (Blanc doesn't need an exact likeness, but she's a perfectionist). Blanc's painting doesn't have these restrictions, but if the paint from it is removed without cutting the canvas, she not only loses the time that was within the painting, she loses the time she has within her (this is the same as the doctor she's partnered with). Likewise, paintings she have made can be disarmed by removing the paint from them without damaging the canvas. Otherwise, Blanc's wounds heal quickly, as though they were never there, even if her body is severed.

This could be a mystery where a group of Sin Eaters try to figure out how killings are being done, or it could be of a day in the life of Blanc (possibly even her origin story). And yes, her name is a bit of a pun.

Comment

Working...
                  X