Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can vampires, werewolves, and mages become ghosts when they die?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can vampires, werewolves, and mages become ghosts when they die?

Is it possible for some of the other former human races to become ghosts when they die or are destroyed? Could my giest be a former vampire that was killed or exposed to sunlight?

Sure. There's ghost mages and at least one ghost vampire, don't see why there couldn't be more. Plus it's a fun idea.

Comment

I was thinking like a giest could be a former mage that was killed during the salem witch trials or a group of sin-eaters try to pry info about undeath out of the ghost of a centuries dead vampire. It could lead to interesting story developments

Comment

If it makes for a good story, shrug the rules off.

My homebrew hub.

Comment

Both those ideas sound good. The vampire thing could give a nice excuse to delve into the underworld if you want.

I've been writing a story where the geist was a witch when she was alive, her new host is a wannabe witch who was killed shortly after she achieved actual power. They both have a bit of a hunger for revenge but are primarily trying to do what they can to fulfill their dreams of magical power. They were just witches, though, not Supernal mages.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
            I've been writing a story where the geist was a witch when she was alive, her new host is a wannabe witch who was killed shortly after she achieved actual power. They both have a bit of a hunger for revenge but are primarily trying to do what they can to fulfill their dreams of magical power. They were just witches, though, not Supernal mages.
            Is it just me who thinks this sounds like the plot of an anime or light novel?

Comment

'Course with werewolves you've got a few other options than ghosts...

Comment

Originally posted by milo v3 View Post
                Is it just me who thinks this sounds like the plot of an anime or light novel?
                It's a mix of horror and erotica, but it's actually based more on Dario Argento's Three Mothers trilogy, who also inspired an aspect of my last Vampire game that didn't get fully explored. The geist was inspired by an image from the cover of a Dragon magazine.

I'm sure there's probably a light novel about a similar subject, dead witches are common fare, but it's something that's really hit all media. Charlee Jacob's 'Up, Out of Cities That Blow Hot and Cold' was the most recent thing I've read that had an affect on her part of the story.

Comment

I think it would be interesting if the ghosts left behind by vampires could become Strixes (Strigoi?).

Imagine that you were one of the few neonates lucky enough to have a sire that was a true mentor, always doing their best to help you survive and make your Requiem suck less. When they suffer Final Death at the hands of someone you already disliked because of yet more politicking, no one bats an eye.

Soon enough, you see them in your dreams, the same kind and calm voice filling your mindscape. But now their eyes have a sickly yellow glow, and they insinuate and suggest things that shock you. Is this really your mentor, or are you being tempted by something you don't understand? Have they found out the truth behind the filthy ploy and want you to avenge them, or are you still just a pawn after all these years?
                  Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 02-06-2016, 10:38 PM.

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

Originally posted by GottaGoFeast View Post
                    Strixes (Strigoi?).
                    As with Mage's Path names, the plural is the same as the singular, technicalities of Greek grammar be damned.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                    Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

I thought the plural of Strix was Striges?

Anyways, isn't there some suggestion that Uratha who die become spirits that might protect their family line or serve their tribe and/or pack? Or was it that 'ancestor spirits' develop around particularly strong werewolf families?

Comment

Originally posted by Arcanist View Post
                        I thought the plural of Strix was Striges?
                        I just punched "striges" into my computer's searchbar, none of the iterations of Blood and Smoke are turning up on the small list of files from my library in the results, and that book's chapter on the Birds of Dis themselves uses "Strix" as the plural throughout, so I must re-conclude: technicalities of Greek grammar be damned.

Anyways, isn't there some suggestion that Uratha who die become spirits that might protect their family line or serve their tribe and/or pack? Or was it that 'ancestor spirits' develop around particularly strong werewolf families?
                        The latter. Of particular note is that, whatever happens to werewolves after they die, their ghosts cannot be found in the Underworld.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                        Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Ancestor spirits are spirits based around the concepts, memories and actions of ancestors, not actually ghosts. More officially, 'Ancestor-spirits are not ghosts or the souls of dead people returning to the world of the living. An ancestor-spirit is a spiritual amalgamation of an entire bloodline, the wisdom and personalities of generations given a single spiritual form.'

I don't believe we've seen werewolf ghosts in the books, but I wouldn't say that means they couldn't exist. Werewolves might just be more likely to put down such things, making them rarer.

I've seen people call them stirges and strigoi on the forums but I don't believe it's an official term, and Satchel is usually right about these things. Though I imagine for the few who know about them in-world, name mangling is probably commonplace.

Comment

Striges was the plural form in Requiem for Rome, I believe. It was changed in Wicked Dead, and carried that way since then.

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

On a Dragonlance-reading break. Surprise homebrew may still happen :P
                            I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by nofather
                              I don't believe we've seen werewolf ghosts in the books, but I wouldn't say that means they couldn't exist. Werewolves might just be more likely to put down such things, making them rarer.
                              Spirits don't leave ghosts, though this is arguable because in Ghost Stories there is a "ghost of a town" which is not just a city spirit of a dead town because it functions as a ghost and not as a city spirit, so it seems that the most likely explanation is that its the ghost of that city spirit.

If this is an example of spirits under the correct circumstances leaving ghosts then it is plausible that since Uratha are half-spirit they require extenuating circumstances in a manner consistent to what spirits require to leave a ghost. This would account for their lack of appearance and/or rarity. (it is possible that the circumstances that let spirits become ghosts are non-applicable to werewolves and thus it might be all but impossible)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ~ Aristophanes
                              "Virescit Vulnere Virtus" ~ Stewart Clan Motto

Comment

Working...
                              X