Anomalies and Chthonians

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anomalies and Chthonians

At the start of G:tSE it talks about Chthonians being a type of enemy, and then later in the underworld chapter it talks about Anomalies which are strange might not have ever been alive, crawl out from below the deepest reaches of the underworld. Are they meant to be the same or different?

I think Anomalies are what we would now call Horrors in 2e; weird, undefined spooky things. Cthonians get some treatment in Book of the Dead, Mummy, and (I think) one of the Mage supplements.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
      I think Anomalies are what we would now call Horrors in 2e; weird, undefined spooky things. Cthonians get some treatment in Book of the Dead, Mummy, and (I think) one of the Mage supplements.
      That Mage supplement would be Summoners, pages 45 to 48.

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

Originally posted by GottaGoFeast View Post
        That Mage supplement would be Summoners, pages 45 to 48.
        I can never remember anything from Summoners other than really enjoying it and the Men In Black. Coincidence?

Just call me Lex.

Comment

I think Anomalies are what we would now call Horrors in 2e; weird, undefined spooky things.
          Oh, that's good. I just used the horror rules to stat an anomaly 2 minutes ago.

Cthonians get some treatment in Book of the Dead, Mummy, and (I think) one of the Mage supplements.
          I'm surprised Mummy has info on chthonians... I thought their duat thing was completely seperate to geist's underworld.

Comment

Originally posted by milo v3 View Post
            Oh, that's good. I just used the horror rules to stat an anomaly 2 minutes ago.

I'm surprised Mummy has info on chthonians... I thought their duat thing was completely seperate to geist's underworld.
            Mummy deals heavily with ghosts and Twilight. While I'd agree that Duat isn't in the Underworld (or if it is, it's so close to the bottom that it may as well be a Lower Depth devoid of life/Sekhem), the game still handles a lot of undead/lifeless/deathless shenanigans. Irem was an empire led by necromancers, you have to remember.

Just call me Lex.

Comment

Dave B has said before the games' Cthonians are different. I have it saved in a word file but I can't remember which one atm and they're all pretty huge

Comment

I think the broadest answer is that "Cthonian" is a catch-all term for strange and horrific things that come from the Underworld or spend most of their time there. If there were ever natural aliens in the CoD and they went extinct, there would be Cthonians reflecting them. You could have Abyssal Verges in the darkest corners of the Underworld that mess with the pasts of ghosts, corrupting them from once-alive to never-alive. The list goes on.

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

I treat Chthonians kind of like how the WoD deals with Spectres, albeit in diluted form; the Chthonians are anti-being, existing because, in the Underworld, reality breaks down further and further you cross rivers. In my games, while Chthonians can be found throughout the Underworld, they always originate past at least 8 rivers...

Comment

Working...
                  X