Themes of Geist Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Themes of Geist Question

I'm writing up a 2e geist conversion and though one of the things I should do before I get too deep in mechanics is make sure the themes I think are in the game actually match the game rather than just my interpretation of the game. So, here is my quick description on the themes I "think" the game has or should have, please tell me how off the mark they are.

One Absolute
    There is only one absolute in life, death. No one can dodge it forever. Not even sin-eaters can escape death's grasp, either falling to old age or their geist simply stops bringing them back. Now, if death is the only absolute, what does this mean for the rest of the world? It means there isn’t truth. Ghosts follow certain laws, but geists seem to have broken those laws. Many sin-eaters can be bonded to a single saint at the same time, implying that not all geists are being truthful about their identities. One sin-eater can channel the energies of the underworld to see a woman's last few seconds of life by putting pennies on her eyes, but for another that method doesn’t seem true, instead they can only do that by dipping a photo of the woman in a bowl of cat’s blood.

Many sin-eaters try to figure out how different aspects of the world works based on cross referencing information through the twilight network, but then soon find most of the data conflicts with other data. Truth is subjective and changes all the time. Nothing is certain, except death itself.

Second Chances
    People generally die with regrets. Things they could have done and things they should have said, lingering in the back of their minds until they pass on. But sin-eaters have the opportunity to come back. Sin-eaters have died and know how close they were to leaving their lives with so much regret, but are able to come back and do the things they always wanted to do. Sin-eaters are one of the few people in the world who truly understand the value of a life, and it is with that knowledge that many bound make sure they are getting their value rather than squandering it.

The sin-eaters also have an eternal reminder to how important getting rid of regret is, in the form of their ability to see ghosts. Ghosts often form from people who had things left to do before they can move on, leaving a stain on reality that lingers and taints the world around objects and people that were important to the person in life. With each ghost being a personification for the problems regret can lead to, many sin-eaters try to help reduce the regret of the people around them so they don’t have to see that individual linger after death.

Through the Threshold
    In tarot, the Major Arcana of Death symbolises change and transition, something sin-eaters understand all too well. Different aspects of things changing from one state to another is a common feature of life. When someone dies, they pass through the threshold of life and death. As time passes friendships fade and new ones are made. When one of the bound tries to use a supernatural ability, they use a key to change one of the geists manifestations from locked to unlocked.

Interestingly though two main features of geist are things that attempt to defy the theme of transition, with ghosts and sin-eaters lingering past their death, effectively standing in the doorway rather than passing through. This makes things difficult for the rest of the world, with ghosts causing damage and suffering, leading to them needing to be sent to the underworld by sin-eaters, and with the forces of the underworld trying to drag the sin-eater into its clutches. Ghosts and sin-eaters should not exist, and the more they deny the fact that they should pass through the threshold the more the world will try to force them through.

Working...
X