[Whimsy:Musings] Manifestations + Keys in 2e

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Whimsy:Musings] Manifestations + Keys in 2e

So, yeah, I like the Key/Manifestation thing - I have, however, been musing about how I, personally, would rewrite the whole shebang.

So, yes:

• Manifestations are called Locks (so we have Locks and Keys! Yay!)
    • Neither Locks nor Keys have ratings; you either have them or you don't.
    • The Locks are:
    Dirge: Social stuff - kinda eats Oracle, since it will be set up to let you get information by asking ghosts.
    Funeral: Buffs for ghosts.
    Hearse: For all your travelling needs.
    Shroud: Armor-y stuff.
    Rage: Violent ghost stuff.
    • Boneyard is now a merit that builds off of Safe Place. Expands your sensory rage, etcetera.
    • The Caul is now a template ability - kinda like how Mage Sight got turned into a template feature.
    • Marrionette is now split between Funeral and a sort of Ghost Retainer merit.
    • Each Lock is individually rather weak - you build together chains of Locks that serve as your actual powers.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

This is sorta like what I had planned for my 2e geist conversion, though I called them Seals (since it has the same sort of meaning as lock, but also ties into the horsemen of the apocalypse) and I kept Caul as a Manifestation/Lock/Seal (renamed Casket). Making caul a template power seems abit overkill with how many template powers sin-eaters already have (though I guess many of their current template powers can be moved to merits, like death stain stuff and seeing peoples health bars).

Wasn't sure on whether or not to have them have ratings for though. It seemed like it would make things easier, but it would reduces the range of abilities a sin-eater could have. How would you deal with the lose of so many powers? Would each Key/Lock mix have multiple powers to choose from each time you unlock? Would it be like werewolf facets? Also, with so little number of locks/seals, it seems like there would be a lot less customization. Would there have to be more keys?

Not sure entirely what you mean by "Each Lock is individually rather weak - you build together chains of Locks that serve as your actual powers." It sounds abit too much like demon's interlocks for me.
    Last edited by milo v3; 05-24-2016, 08:36 PM.

Comment

I've actually been working on a Geist homebrew of my own. I keep not wanting to go through with it because I feel that it's way to extensive, and that Geist 2e will be right around the corner. But then I looked at the date on some of the early homebrew and it was two years ago...
      One of the main problems I've come across is just how much work there is due to the Manifestation/Key system. I also prefer the term "Lock" to Manifestations, and currently they're set up like Werewolf Facets, though I'm thinking of using something closer to how Princess does Invocations/Charms. You can see them here.

Comment

Originally posted by Aspel View Post
        I've actually been working on a Geist homebrew of my own. I keep not wanting to go through with it because I feel that it's way to extensive, and that Geist 2e will be right around the corner. But then I looked at the date on some of the early homebrew and it was two years ago...
        One of the main problems I've come across is just how much work there is due to the Manifestation/Key system. I also prefer the term "Lock" to Manifestations, and currently they're set up like Werewolf Facets, though I'm thinking of using something closer to how Princess does Invocations/Charms. You can see them here.
        So you are swapping the dot ratings to the Keys, and using them to determine only potency (not additional effects)? The take away from Princess would be individually purchased upgrades?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
        Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

The basic idea behind Chains is that each Lock has, for lack of a better term, "parts".

When you form a Chain, you "merge" parts of two or more Locks together. So you could buy, say, Shroud and Dirge, and combine their "keyhole". Then you could activate both of them with the same Key, so you could have both Passion Shroud and Passion Dirge active at once.

Or you could buy Shroud twice, and combine their "body" - then you could have both the Passion Shroud and the Industrial Shroud active at once.

The main restriction being that you can't "overlap" a part more than once, and that it's capped based off of Synergy (I'd imagine). Theoretically, you could even have parts of each Lock that only exist to modify how other Locks operate - so you could fuse a bit from a Dirge with a bit from your Rage to let you hurt people by talking.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

Comment

Originally posted by amechra View Post
            The basic idea behind Chains is that each Lock has, for lack of a better term, "parts".

When you form a Chain, you "merge" parts of two or more Locks together. So you could buy, say, Shroud and Dirge, and combine their "keyhole". Then you could activate both of them with the same Key, so you could have both Passion Shroud and Passion Dirge active at once.

Or you could buy Shroud twice, and combine their "body" - then you could have both the Passion Shroud and the Industrial Shroud active at once.

The main restriction being that you can't "overlap" a part more than once, and that it's capped based off of Synergy (I'd imagine). Theoretically, you could even have parts of each Lock that only exist to modify how other Locks operate - so you could fuse a bit from a Dirge with a bit from your Rage to let you hurt people by talking.
            Hm. So, could I Chain together Passion Hearse to Passion Shroud, then chain Passion Shroud to Grave-Dirt Shroud?

Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

Comment

Originally posted by malonkey1 View Post
              Hm. So, could I Chain together Passion Hearse to Passion Shroud, then chain Passion Shroud to Grave-Dirt Shroud?
              What would that one do?

Is it presumptuous of me to ask for alternating male/female pronouns?

Comment

Originally posted by ajf115 View Post
                What would that one do?
                Well, I don't know. That's part of why I posed the question

Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

Comment

Originally posted by malonkey1 View Post
                  If I had to guess the function of this combo:

Passion Hearse would likely let you instantaneously travel by stepping through a ghost to a scene with someone who has the Guilty Condition about that ghost (How I picture Passion Hearse working) and come out the other side as with two worse Impression than otherwise (resulting in a clash of wills for supernatural powers that artificially improved Impressions) against the person who has the Guilty Condition about the ghost, (How I see Passion Shroud) and also have bulletproof rating of armor which is what I picture Gravedirt Shroud doing, because you know dirt is pretty bulletproof.

I think making most powers work with Conditions and/or with a ghost being the focal point defining perimeters of the use makes locks less "super powers" and more of a carrot tempting further involvement in ghost drama.
                  Last edited by Pale_Crusader; 05-31-2016, 12:38 PM.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ~ Aristophanes
                  "Virescit Vulnere Virtus" ~ Stewart Clan Motto

Comment

Here are quick ideas I typed out:

Everything incorporates the haunting/death/ghoulish/ghost motif

Three connecting points for each lock, and they may only be used once per Chain
                    Latch (Power) + Mechanism (Finesse) + Frame (Resistance)

Essentially you combine a Latch + Mechanism + Frame to activate a Chain as an Instant Action, Chains stay active for a scene

Dirge:

Latch: Gives Perfect Impression upon Successful Contested Roll when activated using a Key, which requires
                    Mechanism:
                    Frame: Maintains Defensively an Impression a number of steps worse than otherwise, supernaturally that requires a supernatural Clash of Wills to improve

Funeral:
                    Buffs to ghosts
                    Latch: Increases Power of ghost
                    Mechanism: ncreases Finesse of ghost
                    Frame: Increases Resistence of ghost

Hearse:
                    Allows Travel between scenes that involve the Condition referenced in the Key

Latch:Allows using the Key condition as an entry point to enter the scene
                    Mechanism: Allows using the Key condition as an entry point to escape the scene
                    Frame: Prevents Travel into or out of scene where Key Condition is present using supernatural means

Shroud:
                    Coverings
                    Latch: Provides temporary Influence over Key
                    Mechanism: Provides Concealment
                    Frame: Provides Armor

Rage:
                    Latch: Creates a ephemeral ghostly chain which can be used with Weaponry
                    Mechanism: Creates a ghostly ephemeral chain which can be used with Intimidation
                    Frame: Creates a ghostly ephemeral chains which damages those that attempt Brawl attacks with an Occult roll

----

Industrial Key
                    Requires a ghost with an Anchor Condition tying it to Machinery be involved.

Passion Key Edit
                    Requires a ghost whose death was the breaking point causing Guilt, or Broken Conditions

Phantasmal Key
                    Requires a ghost whose death was the breaking point for a Madness condition

Primeval Key
                    Requires ghost with an Anchor Condition tying it to living animal or plant be involved

Stigmata Key
                    Requires being in the Underworld or at an Open Avernian Gate

Stillness Key
                    Require a being with the Mute Condition

Pyre-flame Key (fire)
                    Requires a copse laden pyre

Tear-stained Key (water)
                    Requires a site where a dead body was dragged from the water

Cold Wind Key (air)
                    Requires an open air gravesite with bones picked clean by natural processes.

Grave Dirt Key (earth)
                    Requires an earthen grave less than a night only since the last interment

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ~ Aristophanes
                    "Virescit Vulnere Virtus" ~ Stewart Clan Motto

Comment

Working...
                    X