High-Ranking Death Spirits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High-Ranking Death Spirits

I was reading through some older posts here and was interested in what Seraph Kitty mentions here;

Imperial Mysteries theorizes that the Deathlords are rank 7 or 8, each ruling over a type of death, and are possible exiled gods of Stygia. According to some of Dave B's posts on the subject, rank 7 are "spirits of a species or tribal totems", rank 8 are spirits which "rule a world, like Father Wolf, Luna, and Helios." So I'd guess the Horsemen to be the rank 7, and Death itself (if there is such an entity) to be rank 8.
    I find Death-resonant Spirits really interesting in general and was interested to see that such powerful spirits as Luna and Helios would be Rank 8.

My question is this; I'm sure a Rank 9 or 10 Death Spirit could be out there... With Rank 9 are we talking Exalted Primordials such as Gaia? What's a Rank 10 spirit and what would a Death resonant spirit be that had such a rank? If Death is Rank 8, what is Rank 9?

I would think a being like Azrael from Terry Pratchett's Reaper Man, the Death of the Universe. It would be the thing which ferries the souls of dead stars and crushed planets to the Other Side. It is that which holds the Clock of Time, whose big hand only goes round one time and whose chime at 12 o'clock will ring out into the silence of the dead universe, when all energy is so dispersed as to be nonexistent for all practical purposes.

Is it presumptuous of me to ask for alternating male/female pronouns?

Comment

Interesting... I'd think in that regard that something like Wraith's Oblivion could be a Rank 10 spirit in that regard then, when it comes to the death of Creation itself...

I also like the idea of a Rank 9 spirit bringing the death of worlds in said Universe...

Perhaps the Rank 9 spirit being that large world-reaper spirit and Rank 10 being the force one may call Entropy and the inevitably of the heath-death itself. These are clearly things perhaps beyond a Geist game, though I do like the idea of a Rank 8 'Death personified' as a perhaps recurring entity...

Any more thoughts?

Comment

My working model is that "deathlord" is the chthonic Rank equivalent of "Celestine," such that the Horsemen are Rank 8 and more particular deathlords are Rank 7; going off of the theory that Gaia is the spirit of the terrestrial Shadow, a Rank 9 chthonian would be Tartarus.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
        Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Originally posted by wander View Post
          Interesting... I'd think in that regard that something like Wraith's Oblivion could be a Rank 10 spirit in that regard then, when it comes to the death of Creation itself...

I also like the idea of a Rank 9 spirit bringing the death of worlds in said Universe...

Perhaps the Rank 9 spirit being that large world-reaper spirit and Rank 10 being the force one may call Entropy and the inevitably of the heath-death itself. These are clearly things perhaps beyond a Geist game, though I do like the idea of a Rank 8 'Death personified' as a perhaps recurring entity...

Any more thoughts?
          The thing is, as far as I know, Rank 10 is basically God, an omnipotent being. Rank 9 would therefore be subdivisions of that totality, such as the opposing forces of entropy and order, with the Death of the Universe being a weaker Rank 9 ( as there is some variance within Ranks in terms of power).

Comment

In an old mage book, it had the primal wild being a rank 10 entity in its own right, but I think OP has decided to sweep that under the rug.

Comment

In my headcanon, the Horsemen are the Rank 9 beings of the Underworld, as they represent the 5 Thresholds of Death. The very concept of death (simply known as "Death") in the Rank 10 ruler of the Great Bellow, being represented as the Ocean of Fragments and all the Rivers who flow toward it (some sort of mirror to the Principle- one is the collective Divine Fire, while the other is the Water of the Dead).

Originally posted by StSword View Post
              In an old mage book, it had the primal wild being a rank 10 entity in its own right, but I think OP has decided to sweep that under the rug.
              which book was it?

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

My new flagship project- Vigilant Times! Take a look and feel free to help

Comment

daouble post, double post

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

My new flagship project- Vigilant Times! Take a look and feel free to help

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
                  Iwhich book was it?
                  I believe that would be Tome of The Watchtowers or Keys to The Supernal Tarot.

Darkframe - Crossover setting that puts Chronicles of Darkness in the far future that is Warframe.

"The weeping in the world will not decrease if we do not weep together."

Comment

Yes indeed, Tome of the Watchtowers.

Comment

Yes indeed it was Tome of the Watchtowers.

Comment

A Rank 9 'ghost' could actually be a spirit of a black hole...you know, devouring entire solar systems as a 'day in the office', so to speak.

Comment

Originally posted by Demigod Beast View Post
                          A Rank 9 'ghost' could actually be a spirit of a black hole...you know, devouring entire solar systems as a 'day in the office', so to speak.
                          I'd think that the 'ghost' would be the spirit of the devoured solar systems.

Comment

Originally posted by ajf115 View Post

Or at least planets.

Ghost of Alderaan, anyone?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                            Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by ajf115 View Post

True! But I still think a spirit of a gravitic singularity would be an awesome Rank 9 ghost. And as for Rank 10? A gamma-ray burster! Explosions so powerful only the Big Bang exceeds them in scope. These suckers could wipe out 90-99% of all life in their home-galaxy...

Comment

Working...
                              X