High-Ranking Death Spirits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Demigod Beast View Post

True! But I still think a spirit of a gravitic singularity would be an awesome Rank 9 ghost. And as for Rank 10? A gamma-ray burster! Explosions so powerful only the Big Bang exceeds them in scope. These suckers could wipe out 90-99% of all life in their home-galaxy...
    Rank 10 would more likely be the spirit of the Big Bang/Creation itself, as according to the ranking system, Rank 10s are basically God. To quote Mage: 'The Unmoved Mover, Ain Soph'

Is it presumptuous of me to ask for alternating male/female pronouns?

Comment

Originally posted by ajf115 View Post

Rank 10 would more likely be the spirit of the Big Bang/Creation itself, as according to the ranking system, Rank 10s are basically God. To quote Mage: 'The Unmoved Mover, Ain Soph'
      The embodiment of the heat-death of the universe?

Comment

The embodiment of the heat-death of the universe?
        I'd say the very concept/embodiment of Ending itself. The Death of a Universe. The End of Time. Potentially still able to be interacted with due to such a being transcending mere linear time.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
        Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

I'd say the very concept/embodiment of Ending itself. The Death of a Universe. The End of Time. Potentially still able to be interacted with due to such a being transcending mere linear time.
          Something like that, I would think. Besides, a Rank 10 thing would be mostly outside time anyway. Not to mention that not considering the possibility that this is not the only universe would be a grave oversight. Who's to say that there haven't been dozens or hundred or millions of dead universes before ours.

Is it presumptuous of me to ask for alternating male/female pronouns?

Comment

'Shells of dead universes...'

I like the sound of it! Parallel timelines isn't really something I imagine Geist: The Sin-Eaters will ever dwell upon, but...we're talking about cosmic-scale ghosts! Heady cosmic stuff like this pretty much par for the course, considering the Ranks involved!

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

This is sounding more and more like a Final Fantasy final boss.

Comment

For a more crossover-y idea: maybe some are dead archmasters? After all, in life, archmaster-level mages are just absurdly powerful. What would a man-turned-god become upon death? Maybe a god-turned-ur-ghost!

Comment

For a more crossover-y idea: maybe some are dead archmasters? After all, in life, archmaster-level mages are just absurdly powerful. What would a man-turned-god become upon death? Maybe a god-turned-ur-ghost!
                  Hmm. Archmasters are unlikely to stay dead though, having access to Plot-level Death Arcanum.

In my personal cosmology, the Underworld is collection/dumping ground for everything that "was", which includes high Rank Spirits and Astral "Gods". They usually end up much lower in the pecking order (Rank) having been shredded conceptual and drained of Essence (or else they wouldn't have ended up in the Underworld). Usually.

I mean, there were Ghosts of animals and even towns (at least in 1E). Why not the Ghosts of dead godlings?

Comment

Would a dead Supernal entity fall to the Underworld, though? As celestial symbols, death has much less permanence with them.

Comment

Would a dead Supernal entity fall to the Underworld, though? As celestial symbols, death has much less permanence with them.
                      As far as Supernals go, the Abyss is a more likely end for them. But if some symbol of a Once and Future whatever wanted to lurk out in the Underworld until the time was right, they might fit in.

Comment

Well, the Supernal World is about, well, permanent Truth...

Back to the original topic:

Maybe a Rank 7 death-spirit would be the 'ghost of an era'? In WildStorm Comics, Warren Ellis introduced the concept of 'Century Babies'---people who embody a specific 100 years of time. Maybe a Rank 7 death-spirit would be 'the ghost of Antiquity'?

Comment

Satchel mentioned Tartarus being Rank 9, interesting that the Dark Domains have the classical name of Tartarus in the Geist corebook's glossary in the introduction section... Kinda sad this got Jossed a little in 2e with Tartarus being the name in Dark Eras for the Abyss. However I'm okay with this and having the Autochthonous Depths be Erebus still and the Dark Domains being Hades. This lines in with the Greek mythos of Zeus (call him an Exarch) enacting humans to be trapped in Hades once the Silver Age passed and the Bronze Age began (also look to how the Underworld changed from the neolithic Dark Era of being just the Ocean of Fragments to what it is today ).

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_Man (Look at Hesiod's Bronze Age of Man).

Also one more thing, mainly on-topic I found on the Five Horsemen. I believe them to be the five Keres that personify types of death, also from Greek Myth.
                          • Anaplekte (quick, painful death) The Forgotten
                          • Akhlys (mist of death) The Silent
                          • Nosos (disease) The Stricken
                          • Ker (destruction) The Prey
                          • Stygere (hateful) The Torn
                          source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keres_(mythology)

I could talk at length also on Nyx and my thoughts on her in regards to Geist and the Chronicles of Darkness, though I'll leave you with these things to think on right now. Also if any writing spots come in for Geist 2e, I'm open to throw some thoughts in...

Comment

Working...
                          X