Adapting Chicago Workings for Geist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adapting Chicago Workings for Geist

So, I was looking at running a game of Geist set in Chicago soon, and I was going through my CoD PDFs and found the old adevnture 'Chicago Workings', which is based around a pair of geomancers who both sought to create their own mystic web of power over the city of Chicago. One died, but his spirit was added to the web as well, while the other left, believing that the energies of the conflicting webs was what killed his one-time friend.

Now, there would need to be some playing around done, specifically in getting the thing to relate to ghosts and the afterlife and thus the Sin-Eater's purview, but I think that it could make for an interesting scenario.

My initial thoughts were something along the lines of Burgess' (the entombed architect's) web allowing him to control ghosts within it, or something similar, while in 'canon' he could create plaster-and-wood 'golems' as minions. Perhaps it could have something to do with messing with the Avernian Gates? Maybe Burgess has, through binding himself to the city, become geist-like enough to make a pseudo-Bargain of some kind? One definite change that I'll be making is that Burgess himself will have significantly more power, roughly the equivalent of a high-power Rank 3 entity. Does that sound about right?

My main problem is having other, older, sin-eaters not having noticed and dealt with the webs. This seems, to me, to necessitate having some kind of 'new thing' that's happening now, but any other ideas or thoughts on the ones I've put down here would be helpful. One thing that might work, I guess, is having the architects themselves being something similar to a Sin-Eater, save that the place in the soul which the Geist takes up is occupied by the geomantic web.

P.S. Something that I definitely intend to tap if the game runs beyond the scenario itself is the numerous references to the 'angels of the city', mysterious spirits which may or may not have inspired the creator of the Chicago Working Folio, the document from which both geomancers worked and which are definitely involved somehow in the web itself.
    Last edited by ajf115; 10-05-2016, 12:03 PM.

Is it presumptuous of me to ask for alternating male/female pronouns?

While Sin-Eaters are fairly knowledgeable about ghosts and such phenomenon, this specific case could be weird enough that it slipped detection. Perhaps Burgess wasn't fully "in phase" until recently (similar to how a Ghost might be in the room, but until it builds up and Manifests, most people wouldn't realize it)? Their influence might have been more mysterious and indirect until the main plot.

Or they just kept their head down and eliminated any leaks, previously. Depends on how organized and scary you want to make them.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
      While Sin-Eaters are fairly knowledgeable about ghosts and such phenomenon, this specific case could be weird enough that it slipped detection. Perhaps Burgess wasn't fully "in phase" until recently (similar to how a Ghost might be in the room, but until it builds up and Manifests, most people wouldn't realize it)? Their influence might have been more mysterious and indirect until the main plot.

Or they just kept their head down and eliminated any leaks, previously. Depends on how organized and scary you want to make them.
      To be fair, one of the geomancers is out of town and the other is an entity dispersed throughout his network. I could certainly see how they could be missed. As for the organisation, it's just two people, one who's dead and, as mentioned before, is a dispersed entity while the other gave up his wrk, for the most part, in disgust. I was intending for them to be reasonably scary.
      Last edited by ajf115; 10-05-2016, 12:46 PM.

Comment

For the 'angels', the idea I've got at the moment is that before the city was built there was an entity - I'm not entirely sure what, but I like the idea of it being some kind of multitudinous thing, a 'being' made up of a conglomeration of lesser beings - buried beneath it. When the city was built, though, and especially when the deep foundations of the skyscrapers were sunk, the being(s) beneath 'soaked' up into the buildings and the roadways, saturating them like water saturates a tissue when you dip a corner into it. The only problem was that, although they could whisper in the ears of the citizens, they had merely swapped one prison for another. The Folio, and through it the geomantic webs, was to be the key that gave them the freedom to act, albeit only in the city itself. They would then have expanded their web and spread further, were it not for the fact that the two separate webs built by Burgess and his rival counteracted one another, weakening the whole.

Sound interesting?

Comment

Working...
        X