X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hrt Isfet [Strains of Cursed Blood- North Africa]

The Serpent's Grave

​[an hieroglyph of Apep, the Chaos Serpent]

Once, there were nine sisters. Travelling through the world out of old sense of duty, they bound ancient gods to eternal sleep so humanity would be safe from harm. For ages the foremothers of the nine have kept the old bindings and maintained their traditions, keeping an eternal vigil over things who, if they'll awake, would spread chaos and destruction through the world and devour it with their rage.

Once, there was a arrogant king in an ancient kingdom. Motivated by his desire for eternal life and manipulated by a a cunning monster, he destroyed centuries and traditions and searched to eat the gods themselves. Despising the nine sisters, he locked them in prison beneath his castle, stopping them from preforming their duty for insulting his rule over men and nature.

Once, there was a serpent. Buried beneath red sands, it slept for longer than any man could remember. In restless sleep, it dreamed about devouring the sun itself and all the souls which enjoyed its light- yet every year, nine sisters would come and give it a name and a face, so it would never rise from its grave. One year, the sisters didn't came. One year, he was free.

No one knows how Apep, the Chaos Serpent, the bane of the sun and the bringer of destruction, was defeated. All records of that time were destroyed, either intentionally or by chance. No one knows how much that battle cost, or how many people were killed by the tyranny of the Serpent. All that is known is that Apep was, somehow, defeated (or else there would be no sun in the sky right now) and that the fight most likely required the cooperation of men, monsters, beasts and gods in order to slay the terrible demon. While that war over the very existence of the world took place years ago, back in the ancient middle east, the shadow of the Serpent still lingers over the world. Its malice and hatred are as strong as they ever been- and its venom runs deep, flowing among the blood of humanity and corrupting it with its touch.

Apep may be gone- either sleep or dead- but his children are still here.

Apep has never meant to sire children. Such legacy would be unethical to its very existence, as he wished for oblivion- not eternity. Yet, as the height of battle, just as the greatest of mortals and gods managed to hit the fatal blow against it, its very Essence has shattered. A storm blew through the desert, gathering dark clouds and terrible winds. Rain has started to drop, carrying the poison of the Serpent with it as a form of one, last vengeance. Many of those exposed to the rain died in agony. Others survived, their souls too powerful to be touched the the corruption of chaos. But some- few among the few who were touched by the venom and lived- weren't truly healed. Their souls were scarred by it, the blood was poisoned by its. The chaos found shelter in them, and so they- and each of their descendants- became a living graveyard, a tomb were the chaos would sleep for all eternity...

Or those who would awake it into life.

Ages has passed since the ancient battle, yet the Hrt Isfet are still here- their old sense of duty and the burning venom of the serpent in their veins has kept them going, motivating them to hunt after the creatures of chaos and protect the innocents from the destruction they spread. Once, they took place as the "Shadow Hand of Re", a secret organization in the service of the Sun God's priesthood, serving them in hunting down evil spirits and hungry dead. While the old faith has died through the ages, the poisoned blood never failed, maintaining the organization and its old traditions. Up to this day, even as many of their members were born to christian or muslim traditions, they still follow the old 42 Laws of Maat, rules which were meant to bring order to the world and protect it from the powers of chaos- beings who, like Apep, could transform the very essence of the world to their will, reshaping souls and flesh as if they were clay.

Perhaps because of the strange nature of their creation, unlike other demon blooded there is no true pattern to how one may awake to the dormant powers of chaos inside of her. There is no ceremony, no ritual, no oath or blessing. There isn't even some supernatural power which governs them and maintains their numbers like the famous Lucifuge. While those who come from a long legacy of Serpent Blooded do have higher chances to awake to their cursed legacy, it seems that the essence of the Chaos Serpent just defies any logical prediction method. It is not unknown for a descendant of thousands of generations of hunters to never come to his powers, while someone whose only connection to the organization comes from a single, ages old ancestor would. Many of the more scholarly members of the conspiracy has created countless models based on the Chaos Theory, and many of them gave quit good results- but the mechanism itself remained hidden, unknown by all but the sleeping god in their blood.

While the influence of the Hrt Isfet has waxed and waned through the ages, its power has always remained strong in North Africa and even beyond the Sahara- from the jungles of Nigeria to the Swahili shores, from the traditional lands of Egypt to the new nation of South Africa, the Serpent's Blood has fought demons, spirits and ghosts- and most importantly, those beings who were twisted and transformed by the powers of beings as their "father" whose soul they carry in their blood, eldritch godlike horrors who transform and corrupt the world, bring chaos to the natural order and disrupt all of creation. However, since humanity has reached to the moon, something seemed to change- for the worst. The number of Chaos Demons has risen drastically, spreading through the whole world and forcing the Hrt Isfet to go out of Africa and travel the world. Worse, few years ago a sudden rise at the number of cults was noted, and ancient gods has returned to life. And if it wasn't all bad enough, since the strange pattern which awakened the gods showed up in the sky, something in their blood has started to stir- Apep has started to awake, and it was hungry as ever. Since then, the number of deserters who fell under the Serpent's influence has grew, forcing one hunter to fight against her brother in arms- and all that while the Serpent whispers in her ears, leading her to break her rules and allow it to return.

However, failing is not an option- one wring move, one too many members who fall to the Serpent's influence, and Apep would be free once more, and the Hrt Isfet can't allow it to happen. The world is not ready for such horror to get loose, and unlike them, Apep can allow itself to die countless times. It only need to win once- and darkness would cover the world, starting an age of a black sun.

And as everyone know, that can't be a good thing.

0- you have awakened to your poisoned blood, signing you as a child of Chaos. You may buy dots in the Metwet Endowment. However, you are also forced to follow the old 42 laws of the conspiracy. In case you break one of them, you suffer from the Whispers Condition.
    000- you have fought twisted spirits and servants of faceless gods. You have learned to control the basic tricks of controlling such beings and banishing them out of sight. You get the Hardened Exorcist merit for free.
    00000- you are a lord over the shapeless and a bane over the nameless. Your authority have burned into your blood, granting you power. By expanding a Willpower point, any attack to preform in that Scene against an Idigam or someone who was shaped by it, your attacks deal Aggravated damage.

Endowment: Metwet (0-00000)
    The poison of Apep corrupts and changes, and those touched by it may channel that chaotic power against their enemies. In order to use Metwet, the hunter must first spend a single Willpower point to allow the poison to go up the surface. Doing so would allow her to interact with beings in Twilight state, and use any of her Metwet powers. Each time the hunter buys a new dot in Metwet, she gains one such power for free, taken from the Essence Shaping power list for Idigam. Any call in such a power for a Rank instead reference to the hunter's Status: Conspiracy, while rolls are made using Metwet+Attribute (choose the relevant one). In case the power has a lasting effect (such as stealing a werewolf's Gift or changing a ghost's memories), the effect lasts for one day per Metwet. The ST may allow Forge Servants powers as Metwet powers, but if he does they take 2 dots instead of one, and it limits the hunter's Status by one (as it is a social taboo). The hunter may not have more than 5 total worth of powers at the same time, but they may be swapped by a meditation roll and self inflicting one level of Lethal damage at its end. The hunter, however, doesn't have to pay the cost of her powers when she is in Metwet mode- yet once the Scene is over, she suffers from a number of Bashing damage levels equal to her Metwet rating or the number of times she used a Metwet power in the Scene, whatever is higher. While in Metwet mode, the hunter's very body changes and transforms- her body grows scales, her tongue turns black and split, her eyes turn snake-like or perhaps her shadow moves funny or smoke rise from her mouth. The stronger the poison in her blood, the more twisted her form becomes. While in Metwet mode, the hunter suffers from -Metwet modifier to all Social rolls other than Intimidation.

Condition: Whispers (Persistent)
    You have a demon inside of you. Perhaps it is a shadow of your passion given life. Perhaps it is in your very blood. Perhaps it is a being from another dimension bound to your flesh and soul. Perhaps it doesn't even exist- just a fake voice imagined by your broken mind. Whatever the case, that voice is there to stay- slowly corrupting and devouring your mind. While under this Condition, every time you suffer a Breaking Point, you get a -3 modifier for that roll. In an addition, once per Chapter the Storyteller may call for a Composure+Resolve roll as the demon tries to force its will upon you. In a case of Failure, you must do whatever the demon wish you to do.
    Possible Source: breaking the 42 Laws of Maat, making a pact with a demon, failing a Breaking Point.
    Resolution: going through an exorcism, ritual or therapy meant to silence the "demon".
    Beat: the character fails a Breaking Point because of the Condition or is forced to preform the demon's desire.
    Last edited by LostLight; 12-03-2016, 02:05 PM.

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

On a Dragonlance-reading break. Surprise homebrew may still happen :P
    I now blog in here

Oooh. This is an interesting group you thought up. I kind of wonder how you plan on connecting them to Apep the idigam, if ever.

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
      Oooh. This is an interesting group you thought up. I kind of wonder how you plan on connecting them to Apep the idigam, if ever.
      the contact is there- they carry Apep's poison in their blood, and in fact the idigam is "sealed" it inside of them. Whatever happened to it, in ended bound into the lineage of mortal men and women- and it doesn't like it at all.

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

I now blog in here

Comment

Well, I am certainly tempted to do an Age of Azar sidebar for them. And speaking of which, perhaps the Hrt Isfet might have been formed way before Apep was slain. He does have the ability to create Heralds and taint those who come across him with venomous Essence. Heck, some of his spirit spawn could have even been molded by the idigam to possess and Claim unfortunate victims once he was finally broken loose.

For relations with hunter groups, I can see them having mostly cordial relations with the Nibiru. The Daughters would be keen on tracking any and all individuals touched by the idigam's Essence, and they would readily step in to euthanize any Serpent Blooded who were overwhelmed by its power. The Ascending Ones and the Followers of Set, though, might have a more antagonistic view of them, the result of fragmented records on Apep and its destructive power.
        Last edited by Deionscribe; 12-03-2016, 09:23 AM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
        Age of Azar
        The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Well, I am certainly tempted to do an Age of Azar sidebar for them. And speaking of which, perhaps the Hrt Isfet might have been formed way before Apep was slain. He does have the ability to create Heralds and taint those who come across him with venomous Essence. Heck, some of his spirit spawn could have even been molded by the idigam to possess and Claim unfortunate victims once he was finally broken loose.
          well, the problem is that they were written as being created after Apep's second fall- it is in their name. They are, literally, the "Tomb of Chaos". The true story is in the next spoiler tag-

Long story sort, after defeating the idigam a second time, the Nibiru has decided simply binding him to a hole on the ground wasn't "safe" enough- and so they bound it into a lineage, cursing them for all eternity in order to make sure the Serpent won't awake once more. The 42 Laws of Maat serve as its bane, keeping it in sleep, and only if the whole organization would fall to corruption (or most of it) would the Serpent awake once more. It is a "conspiracy behind a conspiracy" kind of thing.
          Last edited by LostLight; 12-03-2016, 11:31 AM.

I now blog in here

Comment

Ah. Duly noted. Meanwhile, here's some extra content I wanted to add to this. I kind of wonder if this could be a good foundation for a 2E Conversion on a werewolf Lodge found in Lodges: The Splintered.

The Convergence: Chaos Ascendant
            Though they value each other's company, the Hrt Isfet avoid gathering in great numbers as much as possible. The poison that runs through their veins constantly calls out to itself, and its fragments are quick to meld with one another should several Serpent Blooded meet their death in the same place. When that happens, echoes of the dark god may be born.

Members of the conspiracy refer to such an event as a Convergence, and they are quick to investigate its likelihood whenever they hear word of a death within their ranks. The more of their number who perish in a given area, the swifter and more urgent the response. And should they discover that spirits were created from these deaths, they are quick to hunt them down before they grow too powerful for them to confront alone.

When a hunter of the Hrt Isfet dies with the Whispers Condition, the Storyteller rolls her dots in Metwet as a dice pool for an Extended roll, with a target number of five successes and one roll made per hour. If the target number is reached, this creates a Rank 1 Spawn of Apep, and every extra five successes can either strengthen it (to a maximum of Rank 5), or create another spirit. If multiple hunters are killed in a given area with the Whispers Condition, the Storyteller rolls the highest Metwet rating between them with a +1 bonus per additional dead hunter.

All Spawn of Apep follow the rules of a spirit made with the Forge Spawn power. Additionally, the site of the hunter's death becomes resonant for the original idigam's Influences (see here), and may give rise to a locus at Storyteller discretion.
            Last edited by Deionscribe; 12-03-2016, 10:14 PM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
            Age of Azar
            The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Stereotypes

Ascending Ones: "Though they walk in the sun's light, they are quick to condemn what we are. Do not invoke our poison among them, lest they turn on you with theirs."

Faithful of Shulpae: "They crave our poisoned flesh, and seek to devour it in their quest to be gods. They know nothing of the god they would unleash."

Followers of Set: "We remember chaotic Sutek's warriors, and how they fell to the Witch King's wrath. Let us see if these ones are worthy of taking up their legacy."

Nibiru: "A shared burden may bind us as allies, but do not let your guard down around them. They have wronged us many times over the ages."

Temple of Silence: "I was told to seek them out should the demon within me attempt to escape. Like us, they understand that some horrors must never awaken, and that the world would be greater with their loss."

You are Chaos incarnate, and you do not belong in this world.
              Last edited by Deionscribe; 03-26-2017, 11:13 PM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
              Age of Azar
              The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Say, is it possible to tie elements of the Hrt Isfet's backstory and their ties to Apep with the Great Darkness fought by the Lodge of the Lost? Their write-up did say that they fought against Apep and its spawn throughout their history, and it fits nicely with the fact that Apep can and will forge spirit spawn.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                Age of Azar
                The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

While they seem to be idigam-focussed, I could also see this group seeing Beasts as servants (or victims) of something similar.

Another great variant on bad blood, though. I'm loving how different they all feel from Lucifuge.

Comment

Say, is it possible to tie elements of the Hrt Isfet's backstory and their ties to Apep with the Great Darkness fought by the Lodge of the Lost? Their write-up did say that they fought against Apep and its spawn throughout their history, and it fits nicely with the fact that Apep can and will forge spirit spawn.
                    thoughts about the Lodge of the Lost did came to my mind while writing Apep in general. I think they could make a nice addition to its mythology. Notice that one of their possible plot hooks is that they have shards of the spirit stuck in their souls, which does share similarity with the Hrt Isfet

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by SunlessNick View Post
                      While they seem to be idigam-focussed, I could also see this group seeing Beasts as servants (or victims) of something similar.

Another great variant on bad blood, though. I'm loving how different they all feel from Lucifuge.
                      It is totally a plausible way for the Hrt Isfet to see Beasts- after all, their focus is twisted spirits and ephemreal beings, which while it mostly means for them that they are idigam shaped, it doesn't always the case, and the Begotten are weird enough to be registered as "deformed spirit Claimed" thingy. While I do focus each such Strain around a certain demon of each gameline, it doesn't mean other "demons" won't draw their attention.

Anyway, glad you like them!

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by SunlessNick View Post

That idea also came to mind. That said, their interactions with Begotten could be akin to the views of the Otodo if they consider them victims. Otherwise, the Hrt Isfet would be an unlikely allies for a Hero in their quest.

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
                        thoughts about the Lodge of the Lost did came to my mind while writing Apep in general. I think they could make a nice addition to its mythology. Notice that one of their possible plot hooks is that they have shards of the spirit stuck in their souls, which does share similarity with the Hrt Isfet
                        Perhaps the spirit they fought was just another fragment of the idigam? One more powerful than the previous ones they faced?

"My Homebrew Hub"
                        Age of Azar
                        The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

To Cull the Great Darkness
                          Decades ago, the Hrt Isfet were faced with the greatest Convergence in their history. In a desperate attempt to return the Chaos Serpent to life, a large number of fallen hunters grew in power and nurtured the fragments of the god inside them. They then gathered together to commit ritual suicide, and the resulting Essence it released brought forth a powerful spirit - a true aspect of Apep - into the world.

This spirit was still weaker than the god itself, but it had many of the powers possessed by its predecessor. And it was thus strong enough to cause great destruction unless it was stopped. The order was therefore quick to take action, and sent its most skilled members to track down the monster and slay it. The search spanned the latter half of the 20th Century, and many hunters lost their lives fighting the avatar and its many minions. Eventually, they traveled into the spirit wilds of Baluchistan, and moved to end their quarry's threat once and for all.

Yet when the hunters had their chance to deal the killing blow, it was made instead by the claws of werewolves.

Calling themselves the Lost Cause, they were gathered by a spirit to carry out their own hunt against what they called the Great Darkness. And they had succeeded in dispatching three of its most powerful servants before taking the fight to the Darkness itself.

They succeeded, yes, but the werewolves failed to see the true extent of their folly as the Hrt Isfet did.

The Lodge of the Lost Cause employed a form of the ritual once used to bind Apep. And while it did kill the avatar, it had the unforseen effect of binding its shattered Essence to the werewolves themselves. This not only obfuscated the future of both the battle's survivors and the initiates they recruited after, but it also provided an ideal place for the spirit to incubate in and grow strong.

Faced with this discovery, the Hrt Isfet frequently go out of their way to hunt down those werewolves who are initiates of the Lodge. Each member slain pushes back the spirit's revival, and thus gives more time for the Serpent Blooded to find a way to destroy it for good. Yet as more demons like Apep emerge from hiding and the Deathless awaken with the Sothic Turn, it seems more likely that they will need to destroy the whole Lodge to stop the Convergence.

As for the werewolves themselves, they grow more alarmed by the attacks carried out by what they think is a cult of Spirit-Claimed. Worse still, some are noticing similarities between the Hrt Isfet's powers and those displayed by idigam like Gurdilag. This has led many packs and protectorates to start organizing to declare a Siskur-Dah against the Serpent Blooded. Others, however, realize that there is more to the attacks. And one pack in particular has been making forays into the Deep Shadow to uncover what really happened in the final battle against the Great Darkness. What they have found so far frightens them, and it has prompted them to seek out the Lodge of the Lost and reveal to them the truth.

Time will tell whether or not the spirit succeeds in reviving itself. But what has befallen the Lodge of the Lost is another reminder to the Hrt Isfet of what may happen should they fail their ancient duty.

[For more information on the Lodge of the Lost, see p. 90 of Lodges: The Splintered.]

Mechanics: All werewolves in the Lodge of the Lost are tainted with Apep's Essence, and can potentially give rise to an echo of him. Treat a given Lodge member as having the Whispers Condition for the purpose of the Convergence. In place of dots in the Metwet Endowment, roll Primal Urge - Harmony as the dice pool for the Extended roll. If there are multiple werewolves killed, apply the highest Primal Urge +1 for every initiate after the first, penalized by the lowest Harmony among them.
                          Last edited by Deionscribe; 12-15-2016, 01:49 AM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                          Age of Azar
                          The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

To The Strongest: Shadows of Amun-Re
                            Though Alexander the Great liberated Egypt, there were many among its people who opposed him and the changes he brought. The Hrt Isfet were no exception, even though many owed him their survival. They had long struggled with the horrors unleashed when Artaxerxes III plundered their lands, and the suppression of their native culture nearly brought about their extinction at the hands of Persian hunters and Karpani. Were it not for the Greeks, the Serpent Blooded would have died out, and the god bound to their blood might have broken free to drown the world in chaos once more.

The Hrt Isfet would not only survive but recover under Alexander's reign. And like the sorcerers of the Weret-Hekau, they would find themselves exposed not only new ideas and traditions, but also beings similar in nature to them. From Greece, they would encounter the Pyr Tartarus, men and women charged by their divine ancestors to punish oathbreakers and sinners. These Kindly Ones were seen as kindred spirits, and they in turn held a measure of respect for the Hrt Isfet due to the burden they bore and the laws they honored.

In contrast, the Serpent Blooded have long traded blows with the Saru Salmu of Persia. Descendants of demons that took the form of black winds, these Plague Bearers have been fighting a shadow war against what they believed were the spawn of another demonic adversary. And they continue to clash with the Hrt Isfet long after their lands fall to Greek conquest.

Other cursed bloodlines are revealed as the Hellenistic Age begins, and the Hrt Isfet encounter them with increasing frequency as they travel beyond the red desert. The Avicii Sutra of India, the Benei Tophet of Phoenicia, and the Usij of Persia. Sometimes, they fight as allies against a common enemy. And then there are points where their differences bring them into biter conflict with one another.

And there are other groups that the Serpent Blooded must contend with - mortal societies from foreign lands with a vested interest in Egypt's occult secrets. The Aegis Kai Doru of Athens, in particular, covets whatever Relics and enchanted weapons that the Hrt Isfet have safeguarded for centuries. While this has yet to cause open conflict to break out between the two groups, the Serpent Blooded remain wary of setting foot near the Shield and Spear's holdings in Alexandria.

-=-

The following Merit is an expanded version of the Status Merit for the Hrt Isfet, based on the format used for hunter groups in the Age of Azar setting.

Mystery Cult Initiation [Hrt Isfet] (o to ooooo)
                            Effect: You are a descendant of one of the few men and women who survived being exposed to the poisoned Essence of Apep, the Chaos Serpent. While this leaves you damned with the god's corrupting influence, it nonetheless empowers you to fight the ephemeral beings which would sow chaos on the lands of the Empire.

(o) -- You have awakened to your poisoned blood, marking you as a child of Chaos. You may purchase dots of the Metwet Endowment, and gain an Occult Specialty on Ephemeral Beings.

Drawback: You are forced to follow the 42 Laws of the Conspiracy. Whenever you break one of them, you suffer from the Whispers Condition.

(oo) -- While you learn how to harness the power of Apep, you are also trained to temper your mind against the horrors you must face. You gain a dot in the Meditative Mind Merit.

(ooo) -- You have fought both twisted spirits and the servants of faceless gods. And you have learned the basic tricks of controlling such beings and banishing them from sight. You gain the Hardened Exorcist Merit.

(oooo) -- Among your brethren, you are one of their foremost champions. Your accomplishments lead you to be given access to the various weapons owned by the Serpent Blooded. You may make use of a three-dot Esoteric Armory at any major safehouse of the Hrt Isfet.

(ooooo) -- You are a lord over the shapeless and a bane to the nameless. Your authority is burned into your blood, granting power to your strikes. By spending a Willpower point, you may upgrade the damage of an attack against an idigam or any entity subject to its Essence Shaping or Dread Powers. Bashing damage is upgraded to lethal, while lethal damage is upgraded to aggravated.
                            Last edited by Deionscribe; 12-17-2016, 10:36 AM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                            Age of Azar
                            The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Glad to see you find my writing inspiring (on a related note, I'm going to write the Avici Sutra around today, although I'm yet to decide about the exact name of the Usij.)

I now blog in here

Comment

Working...
                              X