Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Lucifuge in a mage game, can he keep up?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Lucifuge in a mage game, can he keep up?

I am thinking of playing a Lucifuge in an upcoming mage game, I don't know if it is viable however. Do hunters in general and Lucifuge specifically have any abilities that allow them to stand out in a chronicle with the major templates? If not, is there another minor template or two that can be added to a character to make him competitive. I don't necessarily care about being a powerhouse, clearly, but I don't want to to become marginalized because anything I can do, they can do better.

Can he keep up?

Probably not, no.

Dave Brookshaw, Mage and Deviant Developer, writer of many things

Comment

Maybe give them an advantage in connections? Sure the other characters can do more in person, but the Lucifuge characters knows the people that need to be known.

How are the other characters built? Maybe there is a hole that can be covered.

But ultimately, anything the Hunter can do, Mages can do better.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

It really comes down to the fact that there are only so many Castigations, all of which only do what they say on the tin. Mages are going to be far more flexible in terms of what they can accomplish with their Arcana.

Comment

But... can't you just play 'wild' mage that he thinks he is Lucifuge? You will have Gnosis, Wisdom and Arcana but nothing in the world need you to make you IC into thinking you are 'wizard'. Take Mastigos Path and you literally can command demons. No one can make you to join Order ( you can be technically Nameless ) and your all true Lucifuge pals from Conspiracy are working as Sleepwalkers, so your mag... 'unusual Castigation' will not have problems with other agents nearby.

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
          My Hubs - VtR 2E System Hacks, MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks

Comment

Raw power, probably not. The power where you turn into a true demon form and cause Lunacy in all supernaturals is a cool big bomb effect, and you don't have to worry about Disbelief. If no one in the group is using Spirit, you can probably get the right Castigations to be useful, but a Mage dedicated to that sphere will probably be able to do more than you. Your ST letting you take hedge magic from the Witch Finders book might be helpful to keep you useful...

Comment

Originally posted by WaywardPaladin View Post
              Raw power, probably not. The power where you turn into a true demon form and cause Lunacy in all supernaturals is a cool big bomb effect, and you don't have to worry about Disbelief. If no one in the group is using Spirit, you can probably get the right Castigations to be useful, but a Mage dedicated to that sphere will probably be able to do more than you. Your ST letting you take hedge magic from the Witch Finders book might be helpful to keep you useful...
              Hmm. I wonder if you could just rig up a Castigation that gives you access to all the Spells of a Mystery as if they were Gifted (as per the variant after Witches in the same book). Tier 2 powers inflict Bashing, Tier 3 inflicts Lethal, Willpower is used instead of Source (so you don't have to track that as well).

Comment

Definitely grab the Abyssal Bondage ritual from Witch Finders. I would say that if a Lucifuge has any special edge over mages, it's their ability to interact with them mechanically in different ways than the mage template is used to. You're sidestepping Withstand ratings and counterspells because you aren't doing Awakened magic, that can be big. And no Paradox or Disbelief!

Consider making your character a Sleepwalker and taking some of the Merits for them in the 2E book, that will help you play a bigger role in the party. I would suggest looking at Astral Adept, Banner-Bearer, Deadpan, Relic Attuned, and Slippery as a starting point.

2E Legacy Updates
                Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
                Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
                Storm Keepers

Comment

Originally posted by Caladriu View Post
                  Consider making your character a Sleepwalker and taking some of the Merits for them in the 2E book, that will help you play a bigger role in the party. I would suggest looking at Astral Adept, Banner-Bearer, Deadpan, Relic Attuned, and Slippery as a starting point.
                  If the ST is willing to allow Homebrew stuff, maybe some of the merits here or in that thread may be useful.

Comment

If memory serves characters who have a supernatural template (and I'd argue being a Lucifuge member counts in that regard) are automatically sleepwalkers.

Comment

I think it was confirmed that inherent or major change, supernatural Endowments make one a Sleepwalker. So Lucifuge, TCG, AO, even MM, but not TF:V.

Comment

Working...
                      X