Other KSI Sections [REPOST]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other KSI Sections [REPOST]

Bringing this little thread done by glamourweaver back up here, seeing as I've been brainstorming ideas for Dark Era sidebars on LostLight's ZMEI Initiative and glamour and The Kings Raven's KSI 21.

Originally posted by Glamourweaver
    Section I - Oversight. The only other Section that 21 was in regular contact with. Communication has fallen off since the breakup of the Soviet Union, but orders and intel in Section I's encryption have still been received on occasion by 21's leadership.

Section II - Cryptozoology. Charged with the capture, research, and weaponization of nonhuman living paranormal creatures (including shapeshifters, deep one reptilians, and other monstrous life forms). When former government bodies were being bought up after the USSR's dissolution, surviving Section II officials ended up very well employed by the Cheiron Group's Russian subsidiary.

Section III - Undead/Immortality Research. This Section fell over a decade before the USSR did. In an effort to use a captured vampire to augment their agents into immortal super soldiers, they unintentionally thralled their subjects to their new blood god. The results weren't pretty. Surviving members transferred to other Sections (2 taking a more active role in undead hunting and research in addition to their original mandate). The Ghoul Shadow Cult may still exist in the underworld of modern Russia.

Section IV - Relics. Charged with the recovery and potential weaponization of items of unexplained power, Section 4 found itself in regular globe trotting contests with VALKYRIE, the Nazi predecessors of the Loyalists of Thule, and the ever frustrated by the amateurs - Aegis Kai Doru (not to mention witches, mummy cults, and the like). Section 4 was effectively dissolved when the collapse of the Soviet Union gave opportunity for the Orthodox arm of AKD to raid KSI's warehouses.

Section V - Extradimensional Response. KSI's equivalent of Project FORT, armed as a military response to otherworldly threat. Always having the most regular "turnover" of members, no individual disaster could destroy them. They are integrated today into the Russian (and few other Commonwealth) militaries. They are not as well equipped as VALKYRIE (lacking the same industrial infrastructure), but have limited Advanced Armory none the less

Section VI - Intelligence. Dedicated to information gathering, particular in relation to the "Special Research" of other governments. Ue to the particularly useful breakthroughs of projection, they have been folded into twenty-one.

Section VII - Counterintelligence. KSI's equivalent of Project ADAMSKI. Many of their members folded into 21 after the fall of the USSR, while other members continue their work from inside the FSB or equivalent groups.

Section VIII - "Parakinesis". This was KSI's original classification for the 'psychic' ability of human beings to shape reality. Attempting to recruit these individuals toward their own ends resulted in the loss of control of this Section to the Awakened. It still exists in the form of Mage Cabals (see Adamantine Arrow book).

Section XI - Controlled Psionics. After the failure of Section 8, this Section was commissioned to harness more controllable psychic powers (see Second Sight). Their research was a major preceding foundation for Section 21.

Section XII - Collective Unconscious. Attempting to manipulate the collective unconsciousness of mankind and defend against others doing so (researching and combating fae and mages alike). Mostly they only found madness for their members, but their breakthroughs did help facilitate 21 and researchers were transferred toward that end.

Section XIII - Paranormal Sleeper Agents. Capturing and programming supernaturals into triggerable sleepers to use against other paranormal (or more human) threats to the state. Disbanded officially for unauthorized usage of their 'resources', but may still be operational beyond 21's knowledge.

Section XVI - Morphogenic Fields. Attempted to manipulate Probabillity (the Wyrd) through electromagnetic fields. Complete dead end.

Section XVIII - Extradimensional Movement. Based on stolen research from the American Philidelphia Project (the same research that led to the creation of Etheric Bullets), this Section was dedicated to movement through Extradimensional space - a resource of incalculable strategic advantage. Eventually forcibly shut down by Section 5, their research and remaining members proved invaluable for Section 21's foundation.

Section XIX - Atomic Reanimation. Originally attempting to use radiation to animate zombie workers, this body was responsible for the creation of the nuclear promethean Tsar Bomba. This inturn led to the brutal murder and dismemberment of most of their members, and the 'birth' of the Tsar's first Created.

Section XXIII - Deep Water. Combating and researching deep aquatic horrors, this Section employed Advanced Armory subs. After some diasterous losses at sea, the remainder of the Section, their mandate and resources were folded into Section 5.

Section XXVII - Time Travel. Complete dead end.

Section XXXII - Cosmological Optimization. This Section was commissioned specifically to employ supernatural research and apply it upon the world from the Mir space station. They came into direct conflict with VALKYRIE during the heightened geopolitical tensions of the 1980s with several their projects countered. With the fall of Mir they lost their organizing purpose. This was the last Section that 21 is aware of being formed.
    There was also a Section Nine conspiracy mentioned in the fan supplement, Skin and Bones. While it wasn't one of my favorites from that book, I could see the potential in polishing them as an organization of Russian hunters with powerful fleshcrafting abilities. Heck, I can't help but wonder if the powers granted by Serum 525 (and the Serum itself) might have their origins in an Earthbound idigam. Or maybe they were Soviet-sanctioned Alchemists instead?

Reading through this again, the ZMEI Initiative probably could have been the brainchild of Section XI. The Red Iron Method does allow its members to develop psychic abilities, especially those that are kinetic in nature.

Section XII's purpose made me think of MachineIV's Merrick Institute. Their focus on changelings and mages makes me think that a fair number of its members possessed Merits like Diviner, Dream, Dream Avatar, and Lucid Dreamer. Their forays into the Collective Unconscious may have even led them to delve into the Primordial Dream, which could have contributed to the madness that afflicted most of them.

Section XIII sounds like it could be a good suspect for the Sleepers version of VII.
    Last edited by Deionscribe; 01-12-2017, 01:46 PM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Not to be "that guy" - but while Kings Raven had and has my blessing to run with his write-up, KSI 21 was my baby.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
      Not to be "that guy" - but while Kings Raven had and has my blessing to run with his write-up, KSI 21 was my baby.
      Dangit. I keep forgetting that tidbit. Made sure to credit both of you for the conspiracy. But yeah, as I said, this is making me consider tackling Section Nine for a 2E conversion.

"My Homebrew Hub"
      Age of Azar
      The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
        B

There was also a Section Nine conspiracy mentioned in the fan supplement, Skin and Bones. While it wasn't one of my favorites from that book, I could see the potential in polishing them as an organization of Russian hunters with powerful fleshcrafting abilities. Heck, I can't help but wonder if the powers granted by Serum 525 (and the Serum itself) might have their origins in an Earthbound idigam. Or maybe they were Soviet-sanctioned Alchemists instead?
        That's exactly why I made sure to make "9" one of the skipped ones, so people who wanted could integrate them.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
          I can't help but wonder if the powers granted by Serum 525 (and the Serum itself) might have their origins in an Earthbound idigam. Or maybe they were Soviet-sanctioned Alchemists instead?
          NineStar said it's actually from Promethians. There's supposed to be some clues in the text.

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
          That's exactly why I made sure to make "9" one of the skipped ones, so people who wanted could integrate them.
          Good call.

“There are no rules. Only Principles and natural laws.” - Promethius
          My Homebrew no longer fits in a signature, you can find an index of it here.
          Full length fan-books I contributed too: Princess: the Hopeful, Leviathan: the Tempest, Dream Catchers

Comment

Unless Biokinesis gets its own Section, than I agree that ZMEI should at least be a side project of Section 11 taking life of its own (unless you decide the whole Section went rouge, of course). Considering that up until recently they existed outside of KSI21's radar, the other sections has almost no information about them other than rumors.. unless the Superiors are Section I, which would force to to ask why did they decided to cut off one of their own projects and give it almost full independence from the rest of the KSI. (or maybe the Superiors are in fact Section XIII who took over Section XI for their own uses).

Anyway, that reminds me to add the new setting material to ZMEI I was thinking about recently.

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

On a Dragonlance-reading break. Surprise homebrew may still happen :P
            I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by The Kings Raven View Post
              NineStar said it's actually from Promethians. There's supposed to be some clues in the text.
              Well, their modus operandi towards hunting the living dead (which the Created are sometimes mistaken for) is one clue. And the section in their fluff where the Ascending Ones describe them as alchemists is another.

Anyway, I was thinking that Pandoran Dread Powers might be a good starting point for reworking Section Nine's Endowment. The abilities they have in Skin and Bones could easily be reworked as such.

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
              Unless Biokinesis gets its own Section, than I agree that ZMEI should at least be a side project of Section 11 taking life of its own (unless you decide the whole Section went rouge, of course). Considering that up until recently they existed outside of KSI21's radar, the other sections has almost no information about them other than rumors.. unless the Superiors are Section I, which would force to to ask why did they decided to cut off one of their own projects and give it almost full independence from the rest of the KSI. (or maybe the Superiors are in fact Section XIII who took over Section XI for their own uses).

Anyway, that reminds me to add the new setting material to ZMEI I was thinking about recently.
              If that setting material is for Into the Cold, I look forward to seeing it. It might give me some more ideas to work into my pitch for the Zmajeviti in that Dark Era.
              Last edited by Deionscribe; 01-12-2017, 09:27 PM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
              Age of Azar
              The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Incomplete draft for the reimagined Section Nine Endowment. Critique and suggestions would be welcome.

Serum 525 (o to ooooo)
                Effect: The source of the abilities granted to Section Nine operatives, Serum 525 is given to those who underwent the Zamyatin-Lagin Procedure and received the implant needed to process it. While new abilities appear to manifest spontaneously, the process leading to their development takes weeks, months or even years. This incubation period has been known to shorten as the operative’s body becomes better at processing the Serum.

For each dot he possesses in this Endowment, the hunter gains a free dot in a Pandoran Dread Power (Promethean: Second Edition, p. 244). He may also purchase additional dots in Dread Powers at a cost of 1 Experience each. If a Dread Power requires a cost in Pyros to activate, he may substitute it with double the amount in lethal damage.

At Storyteller discretion, a member of Section Nine can use Serum 525 to develop Distillations from a given Alembic as Dread Powers. Each such Distillation is treated as a two-dot power, and must be purchased sequentially. For example, a hunter cannot purchase Serpent Strike without having Swift Feet first. A hunter with all three Distillations in a given Alembic can spend 2 Experience to develop its persistent effect.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                Age of Azar
                The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Working...
                X