Bestiaries, are there any good ones?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bestiaries, are there any good ones?

So I've started reading through my Hunter the Vigil book (and leaf through WoD Core and Innocents) and while it feels great with plenty of flavour and feeling I find some things lacking, the monsters the system is most famous for (vampires, werewolves, changelings, mages) have very little info and rules to use. I understand that they have their own sourcebooks/games to give in-depth info and rules from creating them from scratch, but it feels a bit much to have to buy a book for each kind of iconic foe to throw my hunters at if I wish to use them right. I naturally started checking for bestiary style books and I did find one named "Antagonists" which I made sure to order. That still seems to stay clear of the most iconic WoD "supernaturals" though according to the info I found online (I could be pleasantly surprised though). So I was wondering, is there WoD bestiaries or simmilar to grant a storyteller the info needed for using the iconic "evils" of WoD without having to buy a sourcebook for each kind.
    Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way, I am new to WoD, but I would really like to use vampires, changelings and werewolves like "villains of the week" along with ghosts and witches as well as using them for some longer plots (their clans, bloodlines and whatsnots seem like great tools for creating intricate plots that make the world seem like it doesn't revolve around the players).

Sad to say that as far as I'm aware there is no bestiary for the WoD lines; though with Hunter the Vigil there are some books in the line that have information on vampires, werewolves, and mages respectively. The slashers book has stuff on serial killers, and Mortal Remains has information on mummies, changelings, prometheans, and sin-eaters.

Comment

The various Night Horrors lines are books full of 'just' antagonists across the various lines. Immortal Sinners has specific vampires, divided up among famed of their kind, outlaws of their kind and particularly ancient, verging-on-myth vampires of their kinds. The Wicked Dead has a variety of proto-vampires and vampire variants, such as the draugr and dhampir, each with an individual written up for them. Wolfsbane does the same for werewolves, with werewolves, spirits, shartha and the last chapter full of idigam. Grim Fears, for Changeling, introduces a number of antagonists who run at different levels of power, from godlike True Fae and beyond to otherwise innocuous changelings. The recently released Conquering Heroes has a chapter full of Hero antagonists, including a few already linked to Hunter the Vigil, such as a member of Cheiron, then a chapter for nasty Beasts and things worse than them. Unbidden is the Mage's one, probably with the widest variety of antagonists as some of them are 'simply' magic items that bring dangers with them, such as Hexesucher, an axe with a mind of its own that urges its wielder to seek out and kill witches.

These all have stats, histories, plot hooks with them. They are as close as you will come to just a 'Monster Manual,' as they offer antagonists and antagonistic plot hooks.

Aside from that you have the 'blue' books. Skinchangers, the Book of the Dead, the Book of Spirits, Inferno, Slasher, while not dedicated just to antagonists like the Night Horrors line, all have a good amount of 'monsters' you could put in a game. There's also Predators, in Werewolf. The first chapter is solely dedicated to spirits, but the second has Ridden and Claimed, the third Hosts, and the fourth horrors from an ancient age, all of whom could fit in a game without needing you to delve much into the spirit world.

The back of each Hunter book has a Philidelphia setting with various usable NPCs, but not that many.

Comment

The Vigil corebook contains Dread Powers specifically for this reason. They're designed to be used to make monsters to whatever specifications your story requires. They're broad, and they might not meet your standard of doing the other game lines "right", but that's the trade off for not having to buy all the other books just to run the game.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
          The various Night Horrors lines are books full of 'just' antagonists across the various lines. Immortal Sinners has specific vampires, divided up among famed of their kind, outlaws of their kind and particularly ancient, verging-on-myth vampires of their kinds. The Wicked Dead has a variety of proto-vampires and vampire variants, such as the draugr and dhampir, each with an individual written up for them. Wolfsbane does the same for werewolves, with werewolves, spirits, shartha and the last chapter full of idigam. Grim Fears, for Changeling, introduces a number of antagonists who run at different levels of power, from godlike True Fae and beyond to otherwise innocuous changelings. The recently released Conquering Heroes has a chapter full of Hero antagonists, including a few already linked to Hunter the Vigil, such as a member of Cheiron, then a chapter for nasty Beasts and things worse than them. Unbidden is the Mage's one, probably with the widest variety of antagonists as some of them are 'simply' magic items that bring dangers with them, such as Hexesucher, an axe with a mind of its own that urges its wielder to seek out and kill witches.

These all have stats, histories, plot hooks with them. They are as close as you will come to just a 'Monster Manual,' as they offer antagonists and antagonistic plot hooks.

Aside from that you have the 'blue' books. Skinchangers, the Book of the Dead, the Book of Spirits, Inferno, Slasher, while not dedicated just to antagonists like the Night Horrors line, all have a good amount of 'monsters' you could put in a game. There's also Predators, in Werewolf. The first chapter is solely dedicated to spirits, but the second has Ridden and Claimed, the third Hosts, and the fourth horrors from an ancient age, all of whom could fit in a game without needing you to delve much into the spirit world.

The back of each Hunter book has a Philidelphia setting with various usable NPCs, but not that many.
          Thanks! Sounds like the Night horrors books are pretty much what I was looking for. Will check it out.

Comment

If you're willing to be creative, the series Monsterquest is useful as a good compendium of cryptids if you're willing to add some dread powers or other merits on your own.

Comment

I made some templates for vampires, werewolves, sorcerers and slashers a little while ago. They are made using the Dread powers rules and are mostly core, though mortal remains and some other supplements would be worth picking up. They shouldn't be too hard to change entirely to core though.

Here's a example of a basic vampire. Using the rules from mortal remains you can tailor them for higher power levels with extra XP.

Vampire Template

Size 5
              Defense 4
              Initiative 4
              Speed 9
              Blood Potency 1
              Health 7
              Willpower 5 -4-

Attributes: 5/4/3
              Intelligence 2
              Wits 3
              Resolve 2

Strength 2
              Dexterity 2
              Stamina 2

Presence 3
              Manipulation 3
              Composure 2

Merits: 5
              Acute Senses 1
              Bloodhound 2
              Allies: Vampires 2

Skills: 15
              Brawl 00
              Athletics 00
              Persuasion 00
              Socialize 00
              Subterfuge 00
              Politics 00
              Stealth 0
              Intimidation 00

Dread Powers
              Drain(Drink Blood) 0
              Dread Attack(Teeth And Claws) 00
              Ecstasy 0
              Unholy Attribute: Strength 0
              Unholy Attribute: Dexterity 0
              Unholy Attribute: Stamina 0
              Uncanny Reflexes 0
              Hypnotism 0
              Lurker In Darkness 0

Weaknesses
              Fire causes aggravated damage
              Gains the listless condition when exposed to sunlight
              Silver causes aggravated damage
              A stake to the heart induces torpor
              Being hung induces torpor
              Being exposed to fire or bright light may cause the vampire the frenzy
              Losing the last point of willpower causes the vampire to gain the listless condition

Misc.
              Only takes bashing damage from mundane sources
              Can track by scent of blood and tell apart different blood tastes.
              Can hear heartbeats out to a number of meters equal to potency
              Can automatically detect any vampires not being obscured
              Can spend a willpower to recover 1ld or 2bd

Edit: these were made as custom vampires for my Homebrew setting and do not fit entirely into the core vampire representation.
              Last edited by Lord Jub-Jub; 03-08-2017, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X