Yam VeNahar Factories [Conspiracy]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leliel View Post
    I assume that Lair, the actual power rating, isn't permanently lost; as soon as the factory's gone, the mechanical infection keeping the Beast bedridden, weak, and profitable has been sterilized and the Horror can heal. They probably need to replace the Chambers, though-and given how soulless these guys are, I have no doubt that they already force-feed Beasts fear to make the Sleeping Serum more effective. I can just see the environmentally conscious and long-term thought members deliberately driving people mad so they can replace the Chambers they've strip-mined, leading to greater sustainability and profits over the long term (Beasts like Luca Rohner may even treat the factory as more of a symbiote; its keepers help a Begotten find food). As for the poor sods they permanently traumatized to solidify the Dream, well, it's one person to feed a million, for another endangered species surviving (assuming they even care). Screw 'em.
    yes, in case the Beast in question was freed, she would regain her original Lair rating- not immediately, though. I assume that it would gain a dot per week (I wouldn't want it to be too fast- their soul was bound asleep, drilled and abused for Mother knows how long. It is not an happy experience- not to mention they would probably suffer from similar nightmares as are the Insatiable who are harvested by the conspiracy). And yeah, Yam VeNahar are that evil- they would even see it as fair trade. After all, you enjoyed all of your life using their products. It's time to pay to debt.

As a review, I love the sheer, blatant evil of these guys. They're like Captain Planet villains with actual depth, so you can fully understand how freaking banal they are. They aren't even the Ashwood Abbey, who at least have a dark mystique to their hedonism and could make a philosophical point about ennui; they're just an oil company that's found unexploited resources and feel it's gives more net profits overall to drill the Primordial Dream. The Devil's Dung Pile, stripped of anything but the fluctuations of stock, the grind of industrial machinery, the tapping of office keyboards and a motivational poster reading He who dies with the most toys, wins. It also fits with the idea of anti-bookline conspiracies being dark mirrors; these guys are mirrors to Heroes (they have the same self-justification and self-absorption, but they're after loot rather than glory, and they're brutally honest with themselves about what they are-and arguably more empathetic, because at least they care about their employees if only out of professional ethics).
    the only thing I can say about it is "yep". Couldn't say it better myself :P Actually, this is why I've avoided giving them some "ancient origin" or a supernatural "Director Board" or something like that. Yam VeNahar are human to their core- and even if there is something behind the scenes, it is either "catching a ride" over their own natural greed- or a natural product of it.

I think I could create a full dungeon crawl of one of their Dream Factories; I doubt if the Dream doesn't influence the appearance and nature of the mine somehow, particularly given how I doubt that there isn't any way to create an industrial complex in a week that doesn't involve dreamshaping. I can just see every one of them being living monuments to the fear of dehumanization and alienation; giant metal cathedrals to want and hunger, covered in sharp edges and almost entirely without human inhabitation, all done by an endless parade of machines. It's just not cost-effective to employ actual people or care about safety.
    that's a great vision of the company's factories. The more mature ones are definitely self operating, but at first they still need some protection. The basic infrastructure (pun not intended) is something that is quickly established- think about it as some sort of "larva stage" if you will. When it starts mining, however, it use some of the resources to devours in order to build itself, until it reach a mature stage and can start operate itself and actually produce materials for the company. It isn't much as dreamshaping as much as it dream-eating- it feeds upon the Dream, consumes it and use it to build itself. The factories grow naturally, and some develop surreal structures and adapt the features of Beast they raided. Draconic engines, titanic towers, tentacle like tubes and plumbs. The factory is alive, and its hungry- it just keeps eating and eating, until it finally consumes everything in the Lair, and without any other source of nourishment it cannibalize itself until it collapse under its own weight.

Anyway, glad you liked it!

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

On a Dragonlance-reading break. Surprise homebrew may still happen :P
    I now blog in here

Comment

You're welcome.

Though, is it okay if I use them for a subplot in this?

I want to show that ultimately, the big scam our intrepid Sir Night pulled off (tricking his Beast clients into serving as unknowing bait for Null Snyper) really did not pay off in the end, because there was an easier and safer way (the point is that he mostly made that plan because he was lashing out at his clients after one accidentally reopened a major emotional wound of his-the first time he ever well and truly lost a friend due to his own mistakes). How this happens is that his little would-be Hunter conspiracy figures out how their dream-mining tech works to a degree (probably with the help of a Princess of Mirrors character in the thread), and how they can use that to counter Null's ability to feed over the intertubes and lure her out of her hacker cave by necessity.

Comment

Though, is it okay if I use them for a subplot in this?

I want to show that ultimately, the big scam our intrepid Sir Night pulled off (tricking his Beast clients into serving as unknowing bait for Null Snyper) really did not pay off in the end, because there was an easier and safer way (the point is that he mostly made that plan because he was lashing out at his clients after one accidentally reopened a major emotional wound of his-the first time he ever well and truly lost a friend due to his own mistakes). How this happens is that his little would-be Hunter conspiracy figures out how their dream-mining tech works to a degree (probably with the help of a Princess of Mirrors character in the thread), and how they can use that to counter Null's ability to feed over the intertubes and lure her out of her hacker cave by necessity.
        sure! Feel free just make sure to credit, of course (unfortunately, I can't read it- as for some reason the RPGnet forums refuse to open in my computer..)
        Last edited by LostLight; 02-22-2017, 03:17 AM.

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

I now blog in here

Comment

As a review, I love the sheer, blatant evil of these guys. They're like Captain Planet villains with actual depth, so you can fully understand how freaking banal they are. They aren't even the Ashwood Abbey, who at least have a dark mystique to their hedonism and could make a philosophical point about ennui; they're just an oil company that's found unexploited resources and feel it's gives more net profits overall to drill the Primordial Dream.
          Yeah, they don't even have as much excuse as the Cheiron Group, whos products are at least meant to be a genuine general good to humanity. Thus bunch really are on a moral par with the Firestealers, or even Hunt Club.

Comment

Originally posted by SunlessNick View Post
            Yeah, they don't even have as much excuse as the Cheiron Group, whos products are at least meant to be a genuine general good to humanity. Thus bunch really are on a moral par with the Firestealers, or even Hunt Club.
            I just want to note that while Yam VeNahar are as evil as they can be- the hunters of the company could be quit heroic. Sure, they do help at capturing beasts and securing the factories built in their lairs and other worlds, but they don't actually preform the act of harvesting the monsters until only dust remains. I'm not saying they are good people- but many of them just do what they need to do in order to survive. Beasts, after all, feed upon human fear, and the Insatiable are even worse- so how "evil" you truly are if you just help one evil entity (Yam VeNahar) kill some other evil entities? Let evil fight evil, while you just get a huge profit out of the deal (unless you die, of course). Not to mention that Yam VeNahar has enough to offer to every man in order to buy their soul- you want to save a dying relative? They have a new product just for that! But in exchange, you need to capture few test subjects for them. You have done a mistake you really want to erase? Yam VeNahar has a memory eraser. Come and work for us for awhile. You can't find a date? Pheromones, my friend, especially engineered for your desired partner! A hunt or two will cover it up. And when you finish the job, you really get the product and are good to go- only that you should have looked at the fine prints. The elixir they give you doesn't heal the disease, it only deals with the symptoms. Stop the elixir, and they'll die. The memories they erased? They will resurface once they'll stop giving them the serum. The attraction will only be in effect as long as the pheromones are being in used- and could you really take the risk of stop using it?

Yam VeNahar doesn't just takes over the souls of beasts- it owns the souls of its employees too. Many of them are victims of the company just like the beasts are. You can't just work with evil and think it won't effect you- but Yam VeNahar knows that everyone has their price, and it knows it can gives them the payment. If they really want something, they will get it- and make sure that the one to have all the profits will be the company.

I now blog in here

Comment

Working...
            X