Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Dark Eras] Cheiron Group - Acheron Shipping & Trading Guild - invented Black Death?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Then why did you say it was a fact?

In any case it's not a rumour. The narrative distinguishes between rumour and fact. The idea that Acheron created the Black Death is clearly labled as something the AKD and MM believe. That Acheron moved to the Americas during the Black Death is presented as a fact.
    Apparently, I haven't expressed myself correctly. What I've meant was that Acheron was ready to leave Europe when they finally had a chance. I have understood that text as Cheiron leaving the Old World together with the everyone else- around 100 years later. At least, officially so. It is simply that when they reached the Americas, it looked like they were already pretty well established, at least more than any other organization. For the organization in Europe, it looked very suspicoius, rising strange theoris and such. On the other hand, I may have not read the text in the correct way, so who knows? Maybe we'll get more in the Black Death Dark Era.

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

On a Dragonlance-reading break. Surprise homebrew may still happen :P
    I now blog in here

Comment

Compacts and Conspiracies gets into the Board, briefly.

'Some hunters and monsters have had dreams of a Board consisting of ten truly alien creatures: pillars with eyes, piles of pink flesh, monstrous gray giants hidden behind walls or dark clouds.
      'Evidence has leaked of something called a Primary Development Plan. The corporate babble, translated, seems to indicate that it’s some kind of “colonization” project.'

Extra-Terrestrial? Maybe. If they are from space they would probably know about the Americas.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
        Extra-Terrestrial? Maybe. If they are from space they would probably know about the Americas.
        It's perfectly possible. It's just the text should probably have mentioned that.

What exactly is their organisation doing over there? Are they setting up with the Native Americans? Are they buidling a small European-style township or something? How are they keeping that a secret?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          What exactly is their organisation doing over there? Are they setting up with the Native Americans? Are they buidling a small European-style township or something? How are they keeping that a secret?
          Well, if no one else is there, who would you need to keep it a secret from?

The Native Americans had trade and trading routes and such, Cheiron could have fit in, eventually. They seem to orient around trade rather than some sort of political or territorial domination, too, which is a plus.
          Last edited by nofather; 02-02-2017, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

What, Cherion are not human? I always thought Board for Directors where immortal with replaced half of body - but still human. Or at least starting as such.
            The Cheiron Board of Dircetors are aliens, bro. The Mortal Remains book (I think) offers the option of them being either an alien invasion or an alien Vigil. An Vigil held by aliens is pure awesome sauce kinda like MIB but reverse.

Comment

Originally posted by Extant Reality View Post

The Cheiron Board of Dircetors are aliens, bro. The Mortal Remains book (I think) offers the option of them being either an alien invasion or an alien Vigil. An Vigil held by aliens is pure awesome sauce kinda like MIB but reverse.
              That's an option in a supplement that's at least somewhat contentious among the fanbase. I wouldn't exactly tout it as canon.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                Well, if no one else is there, who would you need to keep it a secret from?
                Primarily I was thinking about the ships crews. I mean, Acheron seems to be a big organisation, if you wanted to transfer their assets and stuff to the Americas where there isn't plague (though come to think of it, that'd probably follow them pretty quickly), that'd take a huge number of ships and their crews aren't all going to be Acheron members. Also there's the infrastructure you'd need for a township, unless the board are staying there on their own, the conspiracy members need food and clothing and so forth... We're getting into God-Machine territory here.

The Native Americans had trade and trading routes and such, Cheiron could have fit in, eventually. They seem to orient around trade rather than some sort of political or territorial domination, too, which is a plus.
                Sure, it'd be a cool idea but they're a European trade guild; the point of moving is to protect their organisation from the plague. Moving to a different continent with a radically different society would mean essentially entirely ditching their present organisation and starting over from scratch.

I dunno, the more I think about it the less plausible it seems. Honestly, I think LostLight probably got the right interpretation; maybe the author got a date wrong or something.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

That's an option in a supplement that's at least somewhat contentious among the fanbase. I wouldn't exactly tout it as canon.
                  Contentious? Bah, you can run the True Fae from CtL as alien abductors! I mean you got the basis for a UFO-friendly game right there alone!

Comment

Originally posted by Extant Reality View Post

Contentious? Bah, you can run the True Fae from CtL as alien abductors! I mean you got the basis for a UFO-friendly game right there alone!
                    There being room in the seetting for ultraterrestrial horror is not contentious. "Compacts and Conspiracies" fairly simplistic truths for several conspiracies (particularly TCG and VALKYRIE) as canon is contentious.
                    Last edited by glamourweaver; 02-02-2017, 08:33 PM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Not to get off topic here, but that's exactly why I like Compacts and Conspiracies. It gives hard facts about who controls the Cheiron Group and Task Force VALKYRIE, not just rumors and speculation. The Storyteller can always change it if she doesn't like it.

Our society is held together by the thinnest of threads: that exquisitely refined sense of tribal order.
                      Edith Wharton, The Age of Innocence

I am a huge fan of both the Trinity Universe and the classic World of Darkness.

Comment

Originally posted by Spellfire22 View Post
                        Not to get off topic here, but that's exactly why I like Compacts and Conspiracies. It gives hard facts about who controls the Cheiron Group and Task Force VALKYRIE, not just rumors and speculation. The Storyteller can always change it if she doesn't like it.

What is the advantage of those hard facts? I mean, I'm not saying ambiguity is always better - but reveals should come with more new hooks than they resolve, and C&C's delivery was way too simplistic to pull that off IMO.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

I'm all for hard facts, but the revelation about TFV tells us practically nothing. Who are they? What do they want? How do they control Valkyrie? When did they start controlling it? How are they keeping this secret? TFV is heavily implied to be significantly compromised in Night Stalkers anyway.

Comment

Actually, the first two questions have been answered. TFV is controlled by the Invictus, who use it to discreetly eliminate their enemies in Kindred society. I took Greg Stolze's novel The Marriage of Virtue and Viciousness and added a subplot which involved the Invictus using Task Force VALKYRIE to take out Solomon Birch, the sect's chief rival in Chicago. I think both TCG and TFV are greatly enriched by the material in C&C.

Our society is held together by the thinnest of threads: that exquisitely refined sense of tribal order.

Comment

Originally posted by Spellfire22 View Post
                              TFV is controlled by the Invictus,
                              Where's that? I mean, yeah it sounds like it, but C&C at least doesn't say.

who use it to discreetly eliminate their enemies in Kindred society.
                              That goes without saying, they're vampires. That doesn't even begin to answer anything. Who do these vampires want to kill? Why does this vampire have that many enemies in the first place? What vampire thinks creating a covert NATO taskforce is a good idea? I mean, TFV does work pretty much everywhere, and engage in a variety of different activities most of which have nothing to do with vampires.

Comment

They may not use the word Invictus, but it's clear they're either talking about the Invictus as a whole or a particular Invictus dynasty.

The rest of that stuff the Storyteller can make up herself (and TFV is strictly a US government agency, not part of NATO). If you were an Invictus elder, wouldn't you want a covert task force that can find and eliminate your enemies for you with minimal danger to the Masquerade? And yes, TFV does a lot of non-vampire stuff. That's the genius of the Invictus plan. If they only use TFV occasionally and discreetly, their enemies will never realize that they control it.

Comment

Working...
                                X