Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Dark Eras] Cheiron Group - Acheron Shipping & Trading Guild - invented Black Death?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Dark Eras] Cheiron Group - Acheron Shipping & Trading Guild - invented Black Death?

As the topic states - How much is this possible? Here is relevant paragraph from Doubting Souls ( Salem Witch Trials ) chapter of Dark Eras book.

Originally posted by Dark Eras, p. 361
    Some conspiracies, like the Malleus Maleficarum and the Aegis Kai Doru, are convinced that Acheron intentionally triggered the Black Death to wipe the slate clean. By the time the Black Death was in full swing, Acheron had protocols and resources in place to deal with the outbreak, and left Europe behind in favor of the West Indies and the Americas. Of all the hunter groups, Acheron suffered the fewest losses and, as a result, increased its holdings ten-fold.
    Beside making this kind of great accusations as secret PR war between Conspiracies, I see at least one problem with this thinking - 'Full Swing' of Black Death is circa 1360. West Indies ( i.e. Caribbean Basin ) was found by Christopher Columbus in 1492. It's over 130 years for Acheron to leave Europe they 'deliberately' contaminated. If they would made action like this, I would think that Cherion at most in time of few years would leave Old World. It's just seems rather illogical to even accused them on this argument.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 02-01-2017, 09:51 AM.

• Spellfire22
    replied
    They may not use the word Invictus, but it's clear they're either talking about the Invictus as a whole or a particular Invictus dynasty.

The rest of that stuff the Storyteller can make up herself (and TFV is strictly a US government agency, not part of NATO). If you were an Invictus elder, wouldn't you want a covert task force that can find and eliminate your enemies for you with minimal danger to the Masquerade? And yes, TFV does a lot of non-vampire stuff. That's the genius of the Invictus plan. If they only use TFV occasionally and discreetly, their enemies will never realize that they control it.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by Spellfire22 View Post
    TFV is controlled by the Invictus,
    Where's that? I mean, yeah it sounds like it, but C&C at least doesn't say.

who use it to discreetly eliminate their enemies in Kindred society.
    That goes without saying, they're vampires. That doesn't even begin to answer anything. Who do these vampires want to kill? Why does this vampire have that many enemies in the first place? What vampire thinks creating a covert NATO taskforce is a good idea? I mean, TFV does work pretty much everywhere, and engage in a variety of different activities most of which have nothing to do with vampires.

Leave a comment:

• Spellfire22
    replied
    Actually, the first two questions have been answered. TFV is controlled by the Invictus, who use it to discreetly eliminate their enemies in Kindred society. I took Greg Stolze's novel The Marriage of Virtue and Viciousness and added a subplot which involved the Invictus using Task Force VALKYRIE to take out Solomon Birch, the sect's chief rival in Chicago. I think both TCG and TFV are greatly enriched by the material in C&C.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    I'm all for hard facts, but the revelation about TFV tells us practically nothing. Who are they? What do they want? How do they control Valkyrie? When did they start controlling it? How are they keeping this secret? TFV is heavily implied to be significantly compromised in Night Stalkers anyway.

Leave a comment:

• glamourweaver
    replied
    Originally posted by Spellfire22 View Post
    Not to get off topic here, but that's exactly why I like Compacts and Conspiracies. It gives hard facts about who controls the Cheiron Group and Task Force VALKYRIE, not just rumors and speculation. The Storyteller can always change it if she doesn't like it.

What is the advantage of those hard facts? I mean, I'm not saying ambiguity is always better - but reveals should come with more new hooks than they resolve, and C&C's delivery was way too simplistic to pull that off IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Spellfire22
    replied
    Not to get off topic here, but that's exactly why I like Compacts and Conspiracies. It gives hard facts about who controls the Cheiron Group and Task Force VALKYRIE, not just rumors and speculation. The Storyteller can always change it if she doesn't like it.

Leave a comment:

• glamourweaver
    replied
    Originally posted by Extant Reality View Post

Contentious? Bah, you can run the True Fae from CtL as alien abductors! I mean you got the basis for a UFO-friendly game right there alone!
    There being room in the seetting for ultraterrestrial horror is not contentious. "Compacts and Conspiracies" fairly simplistic truths for several conspiracies (particularly TCG and VALKYRIE) as canon is contentious.
    Last edited by glamourweaver; 02-02-2017, 09:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Extant Reality
    replied
    Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

That's an option in a supplement that's at least somewhat contentious among the fanbase. I wouldn't exactly tout it as canon.
    Contentious? Bah, you can run the True Fae from CtL as alien abductors! I mean you got the basis for a UFO-friendly game right there alone!

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by nofather View Post
    Well, if no one else is there, who would you need to keep it a secret from?
    Primarily I was thinking about the ships crews. I mean, Acheron seems to be a big organisation, if you wanted to transfer their assets and stuff to the Americas where there isn't plague (though come to think of it, that'd probably follow them pretty quickly), that'd take a huge number of ships and their crews aren't all going to be Acheron members. Also there's the infrastructure you'd need for a township, unless the board are staying there on their own, the conspiracy members need food and clothing and so forth... We're getting into God-Machine territory here.

The Native Americans had trade and trading routes and such, Cheiron could have fit in, eventually. They seem to orient around trade rather than some sort of political or territorial domination, too, which is a plus.
    Sure, it'd be a cool idea but they're a European trade guild; the point of moving is to protect their organisation from the plague. Moving to a different continent with a radically different society would mean essentially entirely ditching their present organisation and starting over from scratch.

I dunno, the more I think about it the less plausible it seems. Honestly, I think LostLight probably got the right interpretation; maybe the author got a date wrong or something.

Leave a comment:

• atamajakki
    replied
    Originally posted by Extant Reality View Post

The Cheiron Board of Dircetors are aliens, bro. The Mortal Remains book (I think) offers the option of them being either an alien invasion or an alien Vigil. An Vigil held by aliens is pure awesome sauce kinda like MIB but reverse.
    That's an option in a supplement that's at least somewhat contentious among the fanbase. I wouldn't exactly tout it as canon.

Leave a comment:

• Extant Reality
    replied
    Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

What, Cherion are not human? I always thought Board for Directors where immortal with replaced half of body - but still human. Or at least starting as such.
    The Cheiron Board of Dircetors are aliens, bro. The Mortal Remains book (I think) offers the option of them being either an alien invasion or an alien Vigil. An Vigil held by aliens is pure awesome sauce kinda like MIB but reverse.

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    What exactly is their organisation doing over there? Are they setting up with the Native Americans? Are they buidling a small European-style township or something? How are they keeping that a secret?
    Well, if no one else is there, who would you need to keep it a secret from?

The Native Americans had trade and trading routes and such, Cheiron could have fit in, eventually. They seem to orient around trade rather than some sort of political or territorial domination, too, which is a plus.
    Last edited by nofather; 02-02-2017, 02:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by nofather View Post
    Extra-Terrestrial? Maybe. If they are from space they would probably know about the Americas.
    It's perfectly possible. It's just the text should probably have mentioned that.

What exactly is their organisation doing over there? Are they setting up with the Native Americans? Are they buidling a small European-style township or something? How are they keeping that a secret?

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    Compacts and Conspiracies gets into the Board, briefly.

'Some hunters and monsters have had dreams of a Board consisting of ten truly alien creatures: pillars with eyes, piles of pink flesh, monstrous gray giants hidden behind walls or dark clouds.
    'Evidence has leaked of something called a Primary Development Plan. The corporate babble, translated, seems to indicate that it’s some kind of “colonization” project.'

Extra-Terrestrial? Maybe. If they are from space they would probably know about the Americas.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X