Homebrew Benedictions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homebrew Benedictions

While part of this was due to two of the old groups getting new Endowments in Tooth and Nail, it was also inspired by two homebrew conspiraces - The Order of St. Anthony (by The Kings Raven) and Los Inocentes (By LostLight). Both essentially use the same Benedictions as the Malleus Maleficarum, although the latter group handle it differently under the term Theurgia. Plus, LostLight also gave different mechanics for handling the Endowment itself in his Civil Wars thread.

That said, I'm starting this thread as a place to post fan-made Benedictions. I'll probably do the same for some of the other Endowments, and I might even set up a GoogleDoc if I get enough entries here.

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Cloak of St. Elijah
    Though he wandered the desert, praying for death, St. Elijah was guarded by an angel whenever he slumbered. By praying for his intercession, the hunter can invoke a protective blessing that hinders demons, ghosts, and spirits from imposing themselves upon the physical world. This Benediction has also proven effective as a counter to the powers of Beasts.

Cost: 1 Willpower
    Action: Instant
    Dice Pool: Resolve + Benediction

Dramatic Failure: The hunter is assailed by horrific visions, and is left with a great deal of exhaustion. He gains the Fatigued Condition.

Failure: The Benediction fails to take effect.

Success: For the remainder of the scene, the hunter manifests an aura of protection which extends up to a radius of five yards per dot of the Benediction Endowment. This aura imposes different effects to a number of supernaturals.

Against ephemeral beings, it inflicts -3 penalty on all rolls to invoke their Influences and Manifestations.

Against Beasts, the penalty applies to the use of Atavisms and Nightmares and opening Primordial Pathways. Furthermore, if they wish to impose their Lair Traits within the aura, they must succeed in a dice roll of Lair + highest Resistance Attribute, with a target number equal to this Benediction's activation successes.

Exceptional Success: As above, but the penalized rolls now treat failures as dramatic failures.
    Last edited by Deionscribe; 02-10-2017, 02:36 AM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Perpetual Chastity of St. Kateri Tekakwitha

One of the many virgin saints, the "Lily of the Mohawks" devoted her life after conversion to God alone, defiantly holding true to her faith while both her worldly cultures sought to pull her towards one or the other. By her intercession, the hunter can gird themselves against the honeyed words of supernatural tempters and their minions, making the flesh as strong as the spirit. This effect has worked only after Tekakwitha's canonization in 2012, and the discovery of a new Benediction has raised morale among the Conspiracy.

Action: Reflexive
      Dice Pool: Composure + Benediction

When someone attempts to open their Doors in Social Maneuvering, whether through sorcery or mundane manipulation, the hunter may reflexively activate this Benediction. If the opponent is rolling uncontested, the action becomes contested. If the opponent would open Doors without a roll, this Benediction grants a Clash of Wills.

Dramatic Failure: The opponent opens an additional Door.

Success: The opponent does not open a Door, and the hunter's Impression level with them is downgraded by one.

Exceptional Success: The Social Maneuvering attempt fails entirely, and the hunter's Impression level with the opponent is reset to Hostile.
      Last edited by Caladriu; 02-09-2017, 06:11 PM.

2E Legacy Updates
      Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
      Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
      Storm Keepers

Comment

Balm of St. Naum
        St. Naum is the patron saint for those suffering from mental illness. By calling for him to intercede on his behalf, the hunter can soothe the minds of those exposed to a Reanimated's aura. This Benediction is exclusive to the Order of St. Anthony.

Dice Pool: Wits + Benediction - Azoth

Dramatic Failure: The hunter not fails to ease the Disquiet, but he himself is affected by the malady. He suffers from Stage One Disquiet (or advances it by one step, if he is already affected).

Success: By laying his hands on his supplicant, the hunter can downgrade Disquiet by one stage.

Exceptional Success: The hunter downgrades Disquiet by two steps.

"My Homebrew Hub"
        Age of Azar
        The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Here's one of mine, from a thread I made a while back about the Conspiracies Big Guns. If you hit my index there's a few in Dream Catcher's and the unfinished Hunter: Cults book

Saint Barbra's Justice

When Saint Barbra's father had her executed for converting to Christianity heaven dealt justice in the form of a lighting bolt. Since that day Barbra has been the patron of artilleryman, and the Shadow Congregation call upon her intercession to strike down the works of Satan.

Cost: 3 Willpower
          Action: Extended; Each roll takes ten minutes of praying and chanting.
          Dice Pool: Composure + Benediction
          Dramatic Failure: A bolt of lightning strikes somewhere nearby. It rarely hurts anyone, but it is usually highly inconvenient.
          Failure: No progress is made.
          Success: Progress is made towards invoking the blessing.
          Exceptional Success: Not only is good progress made, the hunter also gains one additional bolt of lightning, provided they score at least ten successes. This bonus can only apply once per invocation of Saint Barbra's Justice.

When the roll concludes the hunter fires of several bolts of lightning, rolling Dexterity + Firearms; the first bolt requires ten successes and every other bolt requires five successes. A bolt of lightning does fifteen damage, but has a 15 - Size penalty to hit it's target. However it also does five damage to everything in five yards of the impact and 3 damage to everything in 10 yards. If the player declares they are aiming to hit anywhere within five yards of a target there is no size penalty.

Anything that takes damage from Saint Barbra's Justice is not only shocked by lighting, they are also spontaneously set alight and saturated with holy energies. If the target has any supernatural or natural reaction to any of these forces, they apply in full.

Under normal circumstances nothing can be hurt by multiple shots from Saint Barbra's Justice in a single turn. Exceptionally large targets may be an exception, if a priest of the Shadow Congregation wanted to direct lightning bolts at individual guns on a battleship that is legitimate, though a battleship is unlikely to take significant damage from a Benediction.

The ranges are 500 yards, 1000 yards, and 2000 yards for a long range attack.

“There are no rules. Only Principles and natural laws.” - Promethius
          My Homebrew no longer fits in a signature, you can find an index of it here.
          Full length fan-books I contributed too: Princess: the Hopeful, Leviathan: the Tempest, Dream Catchers

Comment

Originally posted by The Kings Raven View Post
            Here's one of mine, from a thread I made a while back about the Conspiracies Big Guns. If you hit my index there's a few in Dream Catcher's and the unfinished Hunter: Cults book
            Thanks for the heads-up. I hope you don't mind me tweaking them a bit (will link the original versions for comparison).

-=-

The Arguments of Jerome Original by The Kings Raven
            Unlike most Benedictions, it is easier to invoke The Arguments with debate than prayer. Jerome is a patron of academics. So long as the hunter is participating in a debate they need only spend the Willpower and roll the dice to invoke The Arguments for the duration of the debate. Prayer still works of course but it's less efficient: The hunter must remain praying and can take no other action except walking, otherwise the Benediction Ends.

Action: Reflexive
            Dice Pool: Wits + Benediction

Roll Results

Dramatic Failure: The hunter invokes doubt in all his allies, inflicting -1 to Benediction rolls for a scene.

Failure: Nothing happens.

Success: In an area with a radius of 10 feet per dot of Benediction centred on the hunter, all "non-Catholic" magic takes a penalty as the true God proves other deities false. In most cases, the penalty is equal to the Hunter's Benediction score. If the magic invokes gods or is of a divine or demonic nature, the penalty increases by -2 (-3 if the magic is a perversion of Christianity). An insane cult that petitions St Joan of Ark as a prophet of Lovcraftian gods would qualify, while a rogue Malleus Maleficarum hunter turned Slasher would not. If the magic is legitimately Christian but of a non-Catholic denomination, the penalty decreases by 3.

Exceptional Success: The penalty increases by -1.

Suggested Modifiers: Performed on a nexus of magical energy or a non-Christian temple (-2). Performed on sanctified Christian ground (+2). The hunter is winning a fair debate against the a practitioner of the magic they intend to suppress (+2). Used against a blasphemous form of Christianity (such as a cult which practices ritual sacrifice, not Protestantism) (+3). Performed on 30 September, Feast day of St. Jerome (+5)

The Evangelist's Words By The Kings Raven
            Some among the Malleus Maleficarum believe that this is one of the oldest Benedictions, though there is little evidence for it save that it petitions St Philip the Evangelist. One of the earliest Saints. St Phillip was renowned for travelling the world and preaching the word of Christ, and by invoking his name the Malleus Maleficarum can gain a measure of the charisma of The Evangelists.

Dice Pool: Presence + Benediction

Roll Results

Dramatic Failure: The hunter immediately starts speaking in tongues. They may act freely but cannot make any meingful conversation for the rest of the scene. It is also rather difficult to hide.

Failure: Nothing happens.

Success: The hunter can add his Benediction dots to all social rolls, provided they are trying to convince someone to convert to Christianity, or not to leave the church.

Exceptional Success: In addition to the above the hunter gains the 9-again quality on applicible rolls.

Suggested Modifiers: The hunter intends to evangelise on people who practice an undeniably corrupted form of Christianity, such as one involving human sacrifice (+3). The hunter intends to evangelise to a legitimate but non Catholic form of Christianity, such as Protestantism or Eastern Orthodox (-2). Performed on June 6, Feast day of St. Philip the Deacon (+5)
            Last edited by Deionscribe; 02-17-2017, 11:06 PM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
            Age of Azar
            The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Working...
            X