Tooth and Nail - The Response

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tooth and Nail - The Response

Apart from the new hunter groups and Merits/Endowments, the Response section was the one other segment in this book that was interesting to read. Granted, I was expecting something like the chapters from Mortal Remains, but I suppose the writers had to account for a word count limit. That said, I'm kind of curious what the hunter groups found in the other supplements (namely the HtV blue books and Dark Eras) would say about the Begotten. And then there's the matter of homebrew compacts and conspiracies.

So, without further ado, feel free to post your writeups.

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

LostLight. Mentioning here since these are some of your groups.

Followers of Set
    There are few among our ranks who have met these beings, but the elder and some of his kind have dealt with them before. These Beasts are creatures of fear, and they must sow terror among humankind to satisfy their own hungers. The ones who pursue them to the exclusion of all else are no different from demons and spirits, and we deal with them swiftly and decisively. Others retain a great deal of their humanity, though, and we have good reason to seek them out.

Like us, the Begotten walk among the creatures of the night, bringing them together under one banner. But where we must rely on our own wits and skill, they can accomplish the same through bonds of kinship. Indeed, they consider all monsters as distant cousins and even the most inhuman spirit is seen as another member of their family.

We do not fully understand how this is done, but we do know this. For every Beast we have as an ally, we also gain the aid of their kin. But for each one that becomes an enemy, you can expect that they will not oppose us alone.

Nemontemi
    The Begotten claim to be kin to all tecuanimeh, and there seems to be a great deal of truth behind it. They speak of a Dark Mother that gave birth to their ancestors, and who urged them and their descendants to spread her lessons among the people. Sometimes, she calls out to a few of her progeny from the void, and they cast aside their physical forms to seek her out. Others attempt the opposite: inflicting nightmares at the people they prey on to draw her down into this world.

Sounds familiar, doesnt't it?

We believe that this Dark Mother is one of the hated Tzitzimimeh. She blessed her Children with dark magic, and gave them and their descendants a task to carry out as our own lineage had been given a mission. She is a liar like the rest of her kind, and yet the Beasts still feed her with the terror they sow upon humankind. I have yet to decide if they do so out of naivete or stupidity, but they have no problems with fulfilling their 'duty' for the most part.

Beware of our cousins, and watch carefully for the signs of their nightmares taking root. Like us, they don't shy from what they are. However, they have yet to discard the justifications they place on their hunts, and that makes them no better than our mothers and their servants.

Tiansheng
    We are who we choose to be. Whether we are man or demon, our place in the Mandate of Heaven is defined by our own actions.

So it is with Beasts. Yes, they are monsters who spread fear to feed their Hungers, but most do so with a purpose. They teach us that the world can be a dark and terrible place, and how easily one can fall victim to its dangers if they are not careful enough. As descendants of the mowang, we are taught the same since childhood. So when we must turn our attention upon the Children, we do so cautiously, for there may be some unseen purpose driving their hunts. As they say among themselves: "eat to live, don't live to eat".

Sadly, most mortals - and even some yaoguai - fail to see them as anything more than monsters. Those who call themselves Heroes are undoubtedly the worst. Chained to their place in the Mandate, they hunt Beasts to the exclusion of all other things, even the lives of those caught in their quest. In trying to iive up to their role, they unwittingly leave more chaos in their wake. Such discord, in turn, draws the mowang from their mansions, eager to spirit away victims in their confusion.
    Last edited by Deionscribe; 02-17-2017, 10:49 AM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

I just want to note that as the Nemontemi are an abyssal bloodline, and it was stated by Dave that abyssal beings do not consider as kin, they are among the two existing bloodlines which Beasts should not consider as "family" (the other is the Burya Storozh, for they draw upon a different archetypes and dreams than the Beasts do- they are beings of Faith, not Fear, and the Begotten suffer from a very confusing feeling when they meet another legendary monster in their Lair- only that it is not, by any way, Family)

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

My new flagship project- Vigilant Times! Take a look and feel free to help

Comment

The Foundation For Advanced Psychiatry

Beasts are our greatest challenge. Undoing the damage caused by vampiric mind control or glamour addiction takes dedication, skill, and more than a bit of luck, but the oneiric predations of these monsters are more primal. The mere presence of a Beast in a community can, over time, cause a rash of intense nightmares, sleepwalking, hypnogogia, insomnia, paranoia, and PTSD. And that's just from the ones who aren't actively pursuing prey in the waking world.

From some interviews it seems that Beasts consider themselves to be archetypal embodiments of supernatural fear, and that all other monsters can be traced back to a figure they call the Dark Mother. Jungian analysis isn't really my wheelhouse, though, and I think Becker provides a much better framework for understanding and dealing with them. We've had some success with terror management therapy for helping victims of Beasts, although when one of them lodges a powerful nightmare into the psyche, more stringent measures are needed. Antipsychotics help, to an extent. Shock therapy does not.

Speaking of Becker, these Beasts seem to incite a strange change in thoughts in a relatively small percentage of the populace, causing them to become aggressive, moralizing, and even violent. They become convinced that some Beast or another absolutely must die, and that they are the only one who can kill the monster. Every dragon needs its slayer, I guess. Sometimes they're right about a Beast, other times, not so much. They tend to not care for talk therapy, and trying to prescribe them medication just makes them dig in their heels. Group therapy is absolutely forbidden.

Finally, many Beasts we've interviewed claim that their monstrous actions are meant to teach important lessons to humanity, just like any horror story or urban legend would, and that through the challenges they put before us they make people wiser. I'm not going to speculate on the veracity or ethical implications of that claim, but in my professional opinion, I believe this obsession with lessons acts as an emotional buffer for the Beast, an internal and social mediation between their need to scare people and the still human parts of their selves. I can't imagine what it's like, to have to play the villain in your own story.

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
          I just want to note that as the Nemontemi are an abyssal bloodline, and it was stated by Dave that abyssal beings do not consider as kin, they are among the two existing bloodlines which Beasts should not consider as "family" (the other is the Burya Storozh, for they draw upon a different archetypes and dreams than the Beasts do- they are beings of Faith, not Fear, and the Begotten suffer from a very confusing feeling when they meet another legendary monster in their Lair- only that it is not, by any way, Family)
          Interesting points. I think I'll stand by what I wrote for the Star Children, though, even if they are not necessarily right.

"My Homebrew Hub"
          Age of Azar
          The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Talbot Group
            At first, everyone assumed it was one of the wolf-people, but we quickly realized that it - he - was something else entirely. Not long after, we reached out to another group down in Los Angeles, run by a Miss Kochiyama. They had run-ins of their own with people like our guy, and they were more than willing to share what they know.

Since then, we've put together a working theory on what these Beasts are. They're like the wolf-people in that they're possessed by spirits. But where the former are host to nature elementals, these guys attract spirits of fears and nightmares. The initial symptoms for possession aren't as uniform as we'd like, but they're similar enough to those of wolf-touched children that we have a chance at getting them before it happens.

The Promethean Brotherhood
            On occasion, we have crossed paths with beings who wield a vastly different form of magic, one that's far more ancient and primal than what witches practice. Some of us sought to perform the Rite on them, but all their efforts met with failure. These beings can flee into a realm that only they can access, and cells that pursued them into those places were never heard from again. Even when these Children do end up subject to the Rite, whatever powers they draw on cannot be harnessed by us.

There are others, though, who have achieved what we cannot accomplish. They call themselves Heroes, and they gain power from those Beasts that die at their hands. Granted, the magic they gain seems to only make them stronger against the Children. But if we could understand the nature of their 'Gifts' and how they work, we might be able to refine the Rite of Hecate further.

"My Homebrew Hub"
            Age of Azar
            The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Working...
            X