Hunter the Vigil 2nd Edition Conspiracies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunter the Vigil 2nd Edition Conspiracies

So I got to thinking, 2nd edition material or updates for HTV has been released in Dark Eras, Mortal Remains, Tooth & Nail. And we've had a little sneak peak into the 2e core book's outline: http://theonyxpath.com/corebook-outl...ter-the-vigil/

Mortal Remains introduced 2E rules for 2 new conspiracies: Knights of St Adrian (focused on hunting the fallen God-Machine angels of DtD) & the Faithful of Shulpae (focused on hunting and eating mummies, but other supernaturals are on the menu).

Tooth & Nail introduced 2E rules for a new conspiracy: Merrick Institute (focused on hunting Beasts)

Dark Eras introduced 2 new 2E historical conspiracies: the power stealing merchants' association the Hototogisu & the Japanese-oni based Otodo (much like the Lucifuge of 1e)

The Open Dev link above says that the Conspiracies & Compacts chapter will have 6 conspiracies fully fleshed out for splats (but all previous will get at least a mention) AND that the chapter on Slasher focused chronicles will also feature the VASCU slasher-hunters as a splat. of the remaining 6 splat Conspiracies, only the new Council of Bones has been mentioned by name.

So for the purposes of encouraging conversation and speculation of the upcoming 2nd edition of this awesome gameline, what do you all think will be the remaining 5 conspiracies in the HTV 2E corebook? There were six core Conspiracies in 1E and three supplement Conspiracies from 1e sourcebooks, and it seems that of the supplement 2E Conspiracies we are seeing conspiracies who focus on the newer monster templates of Beast, Mummy & Demon. There has never been a Promethean or Changeling focused conspiracy and this new Council of Bones seems like it would be a good Geist & ghost focus Conspiracy. I'm thinking that the remaining 5 core splat Conspiracies for the 2e corebook will be from the original 1e core splat conspiracies with some changes to focus and history to match the changes of the 2e CoD world.

Ascending Ones: Pro - alchemy based endowments could lead to an interest/focus in Prometheans & pyros alchemists. Strange ingredients of the Hedge could lead to a Changeling focus Con - the method of fundraising. three item-based endowment conspiracies

Aegis Kai Doru: Pro - only mage or werewolf focus. Hedge tokens could add a Changeling focus. Con - retooling needed due to 2e shift in Mage away from a necessarily historical Atlantis. three item-based endowment conspiracies

Cheiron Group: Pro - IT HUNTS EVERYONE (even some other hunters). Prometheans as products of mystic science would be a special interest to them. Philosophically interesting: hunt monsters, but adding bits of them to yourself. Con - the supernatural corporation concept has been done quite a bit, beginning with 1e Mummy, Demon, 2e Vampire, & 2e Promethean

Lucifuge: Pro: only group with inborn power and link to supernatural. only group to focus on infernal (as opposed to God-Machine) demons. Philosophically insteresting: nature v. nurture. Free will and choice making the difference between hunter and monster. Con - infernal demons would take up space in the ephemeral entities section that the dev team might be wanting to use for slashers and other material (though a sourcebook is always a nice way around that!)

Malleus Maleficarum: Pro - Mystic Catholic Church conspiracies: everyone loves them (or loves to hate them)! They are one of the few conspiracies able to provide some instant healing to others. Vampire Focus. Con - the historical Malleus Maleficarum was about witches more than the undead, & there are two vampire focus conspiracies. Given the history of this ingame conspiracy's founder it's understandable though

Taskforce VALKYRIE: Pro - Military-Industrial complex conspiracies: they are awesome stories!!!! They have such wonderful toys! They are the only military based conspiracy. Vampire focus due to (spoiler if you've not read Compacts & Conspiracies). Con - two vampire focus conspiracies. three item-based endowment conspiracies

I can see Lucifuge coming in with the least revisions or changes due to its powers, focus and unique membership qualifications (plus a 2e historical look at the Otodo is a great look into how Lucifuge could be in 2e).

The Malleus Maleficarum is also very unique in its endowment and abilities. I can see it coming in with minimal changes like adding a bit of Mage focus.

I see VALKYRIE making it into 2e's core book, but after years of watching Warehouse 13 (love that show!) I can see it's advanced armory including the relics of Aegis kai Doru. IF that happens, its focus may shift to include *extradimensional/extraterrestrial threats (easily a Changeling/Hedge/Arcadia and/or Werewolf/Shadow add of focus) as well as Vampires if vamps remain a focus (they are among the most numerous and spreadable of the major templates so i don't see them shifting from major focus

The bio-chemical/bio-medical focus of CG & AO would at first glance give them a shot an uniting, but the concepts of megacorporation v. shadowing cells of alchemist dealers seem too difficult to unite in my mind, and keeping both would allow for in-game rivalries.

I could see a absorbing of Aegis & Ascending into one of the two given how alchemy in Promethean 2E & in Mummy can create objects, not just potions and powders. And its esoteric endowment and outlook would give a a wide range of possible main focus/es.

Given how many supernatural splats there are it would be unlikely and indeed unreasonable given the writers space limits to expect a single focus conspiracy to hunt each template. But i would like to see all the Templates represented as hunter group focuses in the game line as a whole (Beast, Mummy & Demon as mentioned above already have conspiracies focusing on them for example). It would be nice to see Geist, Promethean & Changeling get some love in the 2e core book, not with a Conspiracy apiece, but at least, like 1e Aegis kai Doru, being one of the main focuses of a core Conspiracy.

Originally posted by Robert D View Post
    I'm thinking that the remaining 5 core splat Conspiracies for the 2e corebook will be from the original 1e core splat conspiracies with some changes to focus and history to match the changes of the 2e CoD world.
    This is confirmed, more or less. (Albeit by Monica brainfarting and thinking there were only five in the 1st Ed book, and telling me that none of the 1st Ed core's conspiracies had been dropped ). This also leads me to think that whichever was was dropped, the decision was made some time ago.

I could see a absorbing of Aegis & Ascending into one of the two given how alchemy in Promethean 2E & in Mummy can create objects, not just potions and powders. And its esoteric endowment and outlook would give a a wide range of possible main focus/es.
    This is possible. The Ascending Ones are already an amalgam of different groups - and to some extent Aegis ka Doru has been overtaken by the setting in terms of which game lines it's most suited to be tied to - the most suitable tying it back to Egypt.

Relics are also the only Endowment that both A, explicitly, anyone can use, and B, makes most sense in the hands of other groups - there are quite a number of compacts and conspiracies where relics of one type or another would be logical possessions of their members (Council of Bones, Malleus Maleficarum, Loyalists of Thule, especially).

Comment

Any hints or glimpses into the Hunter 2E core conspiracies from GenCon 2017? To reiterate, VASCU is going to be in the Slasher chapter given their Slasher focus. Council of Bones was introduced in a Dev Blog as the new Conspiracy focused on Ghosts and I'm betting the Bound and their Geists. Lucifuge, Ascending Ones and Taskforce Valkyrie were specifically used as examples in the Endowment Dev Blog. That leaves two unconfirmed Conspiracies in the HtV2D core.

Comment

I don't believe any of the compacts/conspiracies will be "absorbed" by another- Monica has said she plans on giving a sort writeup for every organization which was ever published in Hunter, and the only group which was discussed about being "merged" was the Ashwood Abbey because they are in a bit problematic place, and even that was dropped, as confirmed by Rose (they get a sort writeup instead of being merged with the Hunt Club)

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
          I don't believe any of the compacts/conspiracies will be "absorbed" by another- Monica has said she plans on giving a sort writeup for every organization which was ever published in Hunter, and the only group which was discussed about being "merged" was the Ashwood Abbey because they are in a bit problematic place, and even that was dropped, as confirmed by Rose (they get a sort writeup instead of being merged with the Hunt Club)
          Thanks! I 'd forgotten that Rose mentioning that they'd be some write up for all past conspiracies and compacts. It's good to hear Ashwood Abbey and Hunt Club will both continue in the continuity.
          Looking back at the Open Dev Blog (http://theonyxpath.com/corebook-outl...ter-the-vigil/) it is said that 6 conspiracies and 6 compacts get a full write up in HtV2E chapter 2, and a 7th compact and a 7th conspriacy (VASCU) gets full write ups in chapter 7.
          That leaves two of the Core's full write up conspiracies unannounced and all compacts are a possibility.
          Malleus Maleficarum I'm pretty sure will be included, though it has not been confirmed. I'm not sure between Cheiron Group and Aegis kai Doru. Cheiron Group hunts everything, but the nature of their thaumatechnology endowment is very close to Deviant the Renegades concept of humans getting altered by human groups, and I don't know if that will factor in or not in the final decision. Aegis Kai Doru has a mage and werewolf focus and their claim on relics may give a good source of tension between conspiracies. The deciding factor for Aegis might be that Taskforce VALKYRIE and Ascending Ones already have equipment based Endowments.

Comment

Working...
          X