No announcement yet.

[Open Dev] 2e Revised Endowments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find the example endowments very difficult to parse with all the jargon.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

The jargon is very dense, I agree. You can crack it after reading it a few times, but it's pretty opaque at first.

Comment

Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post
        Interesting approach, but it leaves me with the question what does Hunter 2e consider He'll and Demons?

The Inferno? Dominions? The Unchained?
        i think it's the inferno because Le Enfaant Diabolique shows up in inferno

Comment

Plus the Inferno is synonymous with Hell, frequently called it, and its where Dominions come from. While the Unchained have never been to Hell and can't even agree what it is. It seems pretty clear what it's talking about, though nothing should keep a Hunter Storyteller from allowing it to work on Descent's Demons, who have their own limitations.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
            i think it's the inferno because Le Enfaant Diabolique shows up in inferno
            Yeah I know, but I don't know if that is retained for 2e, but thank you for the info anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Teatime View Post
              Range Table:
              "Knowledge of Target's Location" isn't clearly superior to "Sympathetic" - it's much more circumstantial. For instance, when a target tries to keep their head down, using a sympathetic connection is a game-changer, while learning the target's current location might be impossible. A rough fix could make Value 4 require both location and sympathy, while Value 5 could require only one of them.
              I think location knowledge is superior to sympathetic. Sympathetic requires something connected to the target, ex. a blood sample. The circumstances where it is easier to get a blood sample than find the target's location all include a blood sample already existing. If you had to get a sample from the source then you would need to know the target's location. A situation can be contrived so that any lower value range can be as easy if not easier to achieve than all the higher valued ranges. Making the Endowments useful means creating circumstances to make the best of any limitations, so being able to exploit the system sometimes is where the fun begins. The range table should work fine.

Comment

As experiment, I plan today to write few Endowment of Knights of Saint George in this format for my own games. 😉

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                I find the example endowments very difficult to parse with all the jargon.
                It works more or less like Creative Thaumaturgy in Mage, so maybe taking some good practice from it on the matter? Idea for 'build your own Endowment' is sound, maybe make it less jargon clutter?

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
                LGBT+ through Ages
                LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

I think every Hunter group covered in the book will need something like the Endowment Concept assuming the group has endowments. I don't expect that at this draft, but in the final, people new to the game will need the help. I would also like more detail in the Concepts, or elsewhere, again focused more towards newer players. I would rather have more Concept detail than examples because it isn't hard to find a basic description of all the 1e Endowments. New endowments are always nice. A few endowment examples spread around the Hunter groups can be good. I don't need lots of pages devoted to examples though. That is how I would like the balance to be.

I have no issue with the overall concept and approach. I think it will work well for me. This is about as complex as I can stand. I don't know about that for others. I suggest keeping an eye on complexity versus utility and any simplifying that can be done while providing the same utility would be better. If this is about where it stays, I think I can live with it.

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                    It works more or less like Creative Thaumaturgy in Mage, so maybe taking some good practice from it on the matter? Idea for 'build your own Endowment' is sound, maybe make it less jargon clutter?
                    Yeah, that was pretty much my critique. The idea seems great, but the amount of jargon is a little overwhelming and I think it could be cleaned up.

Another concern I have is how many example Endowments there will be. In my opinion, creative thaumaturgy works because there are enough example spells that you can play without it if you want to. If Endowments are the same way, I will be very happy to have a system for creating my own. I will not be happy if the presence of a system for creating my own endowments is used as an excuse to provide fewer than enough Endowments for a robust game using only the pre-made ones.

To put it another way, giving us a look under the hood so we can modify the engine if we want is great. Giving us a half-finished engine and an instruction manual so we can finish it is not.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                      Another concern I have is how many example Endowments there will be. In my opinion, creative thaumaturgy works because there are enough example spells that you can play without it if you want to. If Endowments are the same way, I will be very happy to have a system for creating my own. I will not be happy if the presence of a system for creating my own endowments is used as an excuse to provide fewer than enough Endowments for a robust game using only the pre-made ones.

To put it another way, giving us a look under the hood so we can modify the engine if we want is great. Giving us a half-finished engine and an instruction manual so we can finish it is not.

Honestly, I feel that there will be a substantial amount of pre-written Endowments to go with pre-written Conspiracies, considering that Conspiracy-creation rules were teased, if not confirmed, in previous Open Dev blogs. Or I could be misremembering. Hopefully, previously-written Endowments are revised to be more acceptable in 2E or at least allowed to function mostly as-written.

As an aside, I presume that this confirms the existence of Task Force VALKYRIE, the Ascending Ones, and the Lucifuge as Conspiracies that made the transition into 2E. Along with the Council of Bones, that makes 4 out of the 6 Conspiracies that exist in 2E, discounting VASCU as they will be in the Slasher Chronicles section. This means that Aegis Kai Doru, the Cheiron Group, or Malleus Maleficarum will be cut out of the final print (or maybe they will change the number of total Conspiracies; who can say?) I hope there is at least a passing mention of these groups or even a section for "adoptable" Endowments that exist for the cut-out Conspiracy.

Comment

so, let's first try making an old favorite of mine from the presented conspiracies- HELLFIRE!

As an experiment in Endowment making, I've decided to make it simple and choose only the basic effect of the Endowment- that means that its Toll is 1 Willpower, giving it Value of -1. Giving it a Line of Sight Range, rising its Value to 3. Giving it a thematic Backlash and Limiter reduce it to 1. Giving it a 1 Conspiracy Status as Prerequisite finish the process, with a total Value of 0.

Hellfire (Keyword; Scourge, Instant)

The association between Hell and fire seems to be as old as time, since the days of ancient Egypt where Coffin Texts detail burning lakes of consuming flames. That fire flows in the Lucifuge's veins together with their demonic blood, a birthright giving to them as Children of the 7th Generation. By understanding that inner fire, the hunter can manifest it as a weapon against her enemies, giving them a taste of the fate waiting for them after their death and finale damnation.

Effects
                        1 Willpower: throws a fireball on the target, dealing 1 lethal damage per success.

Burning the Wicked: [Occult+ Dexterity]- target's Defense; to invoke hell's fire without harming yourself and hit the target.

Roll Results

Success: the Lucifuge conjure the bolt of fire and successfully deals damage to it.

Exceptional: the dealt damage is now aggravated even if the target isn't normally venerable to fire.

Failure: the hunter miss his target without harming anyone.

Dramatic: the Lucifuge lose control over the demonic flames, and it turns upon her. She suffer from 3 points of lethal damage.

Limiters

• Limit: if the target was blessed by a priest or similar holy men in the last 6 hours, then she is immune to the Endowment.

Backlash
                        The scent of brimstone and ash surrounds you for the rest of the Chapter, giving you -1 for Social actions.

Prerequisites
                        • Prerequisite: Lucifuge Status (o)

Endowment Source: Descent from the Lucifuge.

well, it did took me awhile in order to understand just how did the rules worked, and I'm still not 100% sure I did it didn't make any mistake in the process- but I hope that once I'll get used to the system, things would go much more fluidly.
                        Last edited by LostLight; 04-28-2017, 10:14 AM.

Check my STV content, Or My Homebrew

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper Verse View Post
                          Honestly, I feel that there will be a substantial amount of pre-written Endowments to go with pre-written Conspiracies, considering that Conspiracy-creation rules were teased, if not confirmed, in previous Open Dev blogs. Or I could be misremembering. Hopefully, previously-written Endowments are revised to be more acceptable in 2E or at least allowed to function mostly as-written.
                          You're probably right, but I thought it worth mentioning at this stage, just to be sure it's on the devs' radar.

Originally posted by Reaper Verse View Post
                          As an aside, I presume that this confirms the existence of Task Force VALKYRIE, the Ascending Ones, and the Lucifuge as Conspiracies that made the transition into 2E. Along with the Council of Bones, that makes 4 out of the 6 Conspiracies that exist in 2E, discounting VASCU as they will be in the Slasher Chronicles section. This means that Aegis Kai Doru, the Cheiron Group, or Malleus Maleficarum will be cut out of the final print (or maybe they will change the number of total Conspiracies; who can say?) I hope there is at least a passing mention of these groups or even a section for "adoptable" Endowments that exist for the cut-out Conspiracy.
                          We know there will be at least passing mention of every 1e compact and conspiracy. Personally, I'm hoping the one that doesn't get a full write up is Cheiron, and that they play a bigger role in Deviant instead. AKD would be my second choice, since the other two are conceptually stronger.

Comment

Is mortal remains and tooth and nail compatible with this?

Comment

Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post
                              Is mortal remains and tooth and nail compatible with this?
                              Tooth and Nail's endowments will take some thought, but should be doable. Mortal Remains should be fine.

Patreon | He/His Pronouns | Currently Writing: Daughters of Hera (Scion, SP Nexus) | Rome 2e (CofD, ST Vault, very not official)

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

Comment

My example take on creating homebrew Endowments with this system for killing Awakened mages. Some interesting things I find there. I still do not how should work Limiters with things outside of 'holy site' template.
                                Last edited by wyrdhamster; 04-28-2017, 11:35 AM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
                                LGBT+ through Ages
                                LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Working...
                                X