Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Professional training applied

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Professional training applied

    I have gone over a few different threads on opinions about professional training. Does it apply to endowments? If it does, endowments that use skills seem to be favored compared to endowments that use a new trait (like Benedictions). What does the current ruling seem to be?



  • #2
    The general RAI ruling (from Daveb I belive) is that professional training only applies to mundane tasks. It's come up alot for templates trying to use professional training for their powers and it being said that it wasn't RAI.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Mr.F.I.X. View Post
      The general RAI ruling (from Daveb I belive) is that professional training only applies to mundane tasks. It's come up alot for templates trying to use professional training for their powers and it being said that it wasn't RAI.
      What muddles the water is the lack of explicit caveat. Sure, a mage using the merit to nuke someone from the other side of the world is OP, but to a werewolf rite?

      Comment


      • #4
        @Malus

        Oh ya, I agree that it isn't RAW. The general concensus on these forums that I've seen is that it's a mundane merit and use on non mundane a tons is beyond its scope. Like a demon applying patient to gadget creation is RAW but not seen as RAI by a fair few.

        Comment


        • #5
          As an alternate perspective, the entire idea behind using mundane traits to aid in the activation of non-mundane abilities is that having that mundane knowledge or skill contributes somehow - so allowing a merit that adds to or enhances that skill to do the same for a supernatural power isn't unreasonable.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by lnodiv View Post
            As an alternate perspective, the entire idea behind using mundane traits to aid in the activation of non-mundane abilities is that having that mundane knowledge or skill contributes somehow - so allowing a merit that adds to or enhances that skill to do the same for a supernatural power isn't unreasonable.
            Not unreasonable either way I am afraid, thus the conversation may be destined to remain moot.


            “Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ~ Aristophanes
            "Virescit Vulnere Virtus" ~ Stewart Clan Motto

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by lnodiv View Post
              As an alternate perspective, the entire idea behind using mundane traits to aid in the activation of non-mundane abilities is that having that mundane knowledge or skill contributes somehow - so allowing a merit that adds to or enhances that skill to do the same for a supernatural power isn't unreasonable.
              That is a great point. Personally I'd say if your professional training focuses on it, it should apply but some feel it'd be a 'must have' kind of like feat tax in dnd.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Mr.F.I.X. View Post
                @Malus

                Oh ya, I agree that it isn't RAW. The general concensus on these forums that I've seen is that it's a mundane merit and use on non mundane a tons is beyond its scope. Like a demon applying patient to gadget creation is RAW but not seen as RAI by a fair few.
                You know what else is based upon mundane knowledge? Rotes and rites. Hence why they're rolled with skills.

                Comment

                Working...
                X