Supernatural tolerance question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supernatural tolerance question

My players have a question concerning with supernatural tolerance. Is it only added to contested powers that involve a resistance attribute for the defender?
    For instance, if an endowment to force vampires to flee is Resolve + Benedictions vs Presence + Potency, is that applicable?

You're mixing 1E and 2E rules, though. In 2E you'd have something like Resolve + [skill] + Benedictions vs Composure + Blood Potency. I recommend not updating just one dice pool when it comes to contested actions.

Bloodline: The Stygians
    Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
    Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

So, potency is only added to resistance traits when defending against a power

Comment

Blood Potency and other Supernatural Tolerance traits are only added to contested rolls when defending against a power. Passive resistances (where you subract a Resistance Attribute) doesn't add the Supernatural Tolerance trait.

Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

I understand that, but I guess i need to reword the question. When designing an endowment the core rule book says that supernatural tolerance is added to any contested roll to resist powers. This I understand. Another portion of the core rulebook says on pg. 125, "... but all [supernatural tolerance] share one quality; they are added to Resistance Attributes when levying Resistance-based penalties to the dice pools of many supernatural powers." So my question is, if a supernatural power that has a contested action, but the defender does not use a resistance trait (resolve, stamina, composure), does the defender still get to use their supernatural tolerance?

Comment

That line is written with the assumption that you always resist supernatural powers with a Resistance Attribute. In your Benedictions example the defender would have the dice pool Composure + Blood Potency if HtV was 2E instead of just Presence.

While Chronicles of Darkness often is compatible with 1E gamelines, it's not written to be fully compatible. Since you're mixing editions you end up with a situation that can't be resolved using rules. I recommend either keeping 1E dice pools or completely updating them to 2E (Attribute + Skill + Benedictions vs Resistance Attribute + Supernatural Tolerance).
            Last edited by Tessie; 05-18-2017, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X