I think I've ST'd myself into a corner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I've ST'd myself into a corner

Ok, here's what I'm trying to do. This is innocents/hunter (mostly innocents atm). What I want them to discover is that they are all descendants of one particular individual, that their families were all killed by his enemies (though notably not by the same monster or group of monsters - this is important), and that they are or may be at risk themselves.

What I have so far is that they have a school project to research their family history. Between them, they have a diary belonging to the mother of one of the PC's and stamped with an arcane symbol, a musket ball stamped with that same symbol, and a book about witches that talks about the witches "of the bridge" (spoiler: DuPont) and has that same symbol in it. I'm slowly working on figuring out lines of descent for each of them.

Story behind the family history is that there's actually one guy who's learned to give himself immortality using parts of monsters. He's actually the ancestor of all of them, but he has been posing as various members of the family. Now the legitimate family has fallen into disgrace, so he's turning to these three girls as potential heirs to his monster-hunting emporium.

So, yeah, I'm just having a hard time getting it to where something interesting is going on without giving away the whole plot. I really don't want to spend a huge amount of time on this whole slow research thing, but I do want to build some tension.

Any suggestions? Or things I could clarify?

You could have agents of the ancestor show up and start asking around town for them or something like that. They could seam like government agents or the like except the kids notice that they have that same symbol somewhere. Driving them to figure out the mystery sooner so that they know why these agents are looking for them. Maybe have the agents be just a bit off, so the kids know it is a bad thing.

How old are the characters at this point? It would affect how the agents should act and what reactions the kids might have.

(he/him/his)

Backer #2010

Comment

We're talking a trio of 10 year old girls. They're in a sort of combination orphanage/foster home situation meant for troubled kids. (Basically, they live in a house with a set of foster parents, but the house itself is part of a larger community built to house older foster children.) None of the children have any living family that they are aware of.

I was thinking this mysterious ancestor might be a major donor to the facility. It's just the kind of nice big charity project that a rich family would patronize, and it would give him an excuse to monitor his offspring.

Comment

Ancient family histories and implanting monster parts? Sounds like the AKD and Cheiron Group are both prime candidates for getting involved.

Comment

Loyalists of Thule too.

You could also stage an attack, where the monster/opponent references a character's ancestry (as the cause of their assault) If they need help, you could have another NPC intervene, and drop another hint (such as their debt to said ancestor).

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

I'm not sure I'm really at that point yet. The problem I'm having right now is moving them from "hey we have these scattered clues and maybe this stupid ancestry homework" to "oh hey there's an issue and there's monsters involved and something weird is going on." I feel like they're not really putting clues together at the moment to get past "huh that's curious." But I'm not sure just suddenly dropping a monster on them is the right solution.

Comment

Originally posted by WarKitty View Post
              I'm not sure I'm really at that point yet. The problem I'm having right now is moving them from "hey we have these scattered clues and maybe this stupid ancestry homework" to "oh hey there's an issue and there's monsters involved and something weird is going on." I feel like they're not really putting clues together at the moment to get past "huh that's curious." But I'm not sure just suddenly dropping a monster on them is the right solution.

To expand on my idea with more details:

Maybe a couple of 'Government Inspectors' show up to check out the facility where they are fostered. They agents poke around a bit asking questions and maybe the girls sees one of them acting creepy in some somewhat supernatural way (the details of that dependent on what you choose for them too be, maybe just some minor thaumaturgy), and have them see that arcane symbol on something. If they try to go the adults then they can be dismissed as just acting like kids. Make sure the agents are creepy but only when the kids see them with no other adults around. Give them a mystery to follow about the agents.

(he/him/his)

Backer #2010

Comment

If you want to be more overt, you can even have the girls overhear the agents talking. Or, for more creepiness, have them come across a message asking where (ancestor)'s heir is at (like in what-might-be-blood on their bedroom wall, or just written in a steam or frost covered glass when they aren't looking).

Comment

If these kids have access to the internet (local library for example), they just need a search engine to lead them to the conspiracy side of the net where all their questions (won't) be answered.

Comment

Have you tried dropping a body on them? Everyone makes mistakes. Even if there is no other known family and no other kids in that particular home, I assume there are other children around. Do these girls not have friends? Have a monster mistake another child for one of the three and kidnap/murder victim your way through the plot.

Comment

Thanks everyone! I think I like the idea of government agents poking around. I could also stick a special therapist in there - they're a bunch of foster kids with troubled backgrounds, of course the government requires that they go to therapy. If all else fails I can always kill someone, of course. Or just have some kid at school come in with a wild story.

Comment

Originally posted by WarKitty View Post
                        Thanks everyone! I think I like the idea of government agents poking around. I could also stick a special therapist in there - they're a bunch of foster kids with troubled backgrounds, of course the government requires that they go to therapy. If all else fails I can always kill someone, of course. Or just have some kid at school come in with a wild story.
                        Sure. Let us know how it goes?

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

Sure. Let us know how it goes?

Well, no plan ever survives contact with the players, so we'll see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                          X