1920's Chronicle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1920's Chronicle

Hello forum. New storyteller here looking to run a game of hunter for a few friends this summer. I really like the idea of using Miami during the prohibition/Florida land boom as a setting after watching "Live by Night" and getting inspired to do some research. The contrast between the mass migration of people hoping for a tropical paradise and the dark underworld of smugglers, the kkk, and general greed and competition seems to fit the Chronicles of Darkness well. I was thinking of keeping this game tier one or two, and starting with the events of "The Harvesters" sas adventure taking place either in a small outlying town (maybe with an autocamp instead of a motel) or in a poorer area of Miami. I would have the kidnappers be trading their captives to some malignant supernatural power, hopefully prompting more conflict as the players seek these out or the super comes looking for the mortals who killed off their source of bodies.

Does anyone have some good advice or resources on the era, location, or even just some suggestions for a new ST? I'd love to hear any of it.

Welcome aboard!

A good starting point would be Call Of Cthulhu and other Lovecraft Mythos games like Trail Of Cthulhu, both for adventures about fighting cults and unearthly monsters, and for source material for games set in the 1920s. For example, I used the 1920s Investigators' Companion as a sourcebook when I ran Adventure! as it discusses 1920s everyday life like popular culture, transportation, equipment, and laws that monster-hunting heroes are likely to break.

Craig Oxbrow
    The Trinity Continuum freelancer

Comment

There's two parts of Florida history you could probably make use of. The first, of course, is the Weird Florida book.

The second involves the Florida Land Boom. It seems that the economy was doing so well that credit was easy and land was practically given away around Miami. The internet's most reliable source has more.

Comment

The investigators guide and the weird Florida link and land boom link were very helpful. Thanks guys!

Comment

I highly reccomend watching Boardwalk Empire for 1920's inspiration. The series takes place mostly in New Jersey, and while there is an epsiode or a few that take place in Florida towards the end if the series, over all the series gives a good feel for corruption, crime and other themes of the 1920's.

Also I reccomend reading Dennis Lehane's books that the move Live by Night was based upon. In all honesty I reccomend people read all of Dennis Lehane's books.

Comment

Glad to help! I hope the game goes well.

Craig Oxbrow
            The Trinity Continuum freelancer

Comment

Working...
            X