Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Playing an Ordinary Mortal who can stand up to Supernatural Enemies?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing an Ordinary Mortal who can stand up to Supernatural Enemies?

So, just like the thread Title says. Is there any way to play a completely ordinary mortal who can go up against a supernatural threat on 'fair' terms and win?

Depends on how much you are willing to disable and hamstring the human under the name of fairness.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
      Depends on how much you are willing to disable and hamstring the human under the name of fairness.
      There is a reason fair is in air-quotes. I don't expect to win an honorable slugging match.

Comment

So how much options are out of use for the human? Because even simple things like exorcism is basically the human cutting off an ephemeral's air to make it suffocate, abjuration is referred to as fighting the supernatural with the supernatural, and warding is abjuration plus using the ephemeral's bane. None of them are what I'd call fair, I think.

And then we get to the hunters, who employ things like sneak attacks, traps, social influence and the occasional fire to fight fire with. All of them are, depending on perspective, fair only when we call them so.

Comment

Fair in the sense that I was using Fair ironically. As for limits. I want basically nothing to do with any sort of supernatural power. Any 'mundane' sort of solution is on the table.
          Last edited by Enginseer-42; 07-04-2017, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Ah.

The vast majority of hunters in the individual or cell level, and even Compact level for some, operate without any supernatural powers whatsoever. So it's perfectly doable.

Comment

It depends on how long you want them to last. Basically, anyone in the WoD can win a first strike. The problem is that the counter-attack from the supernatural communities; since anyone can win a first strike, it becomes rocket tag.

So if you want an ongoing mortal hunter, they're going to have to take a lot of extra precautions - a cell structure, staying mobile, ensuring their identities aren't discovered, that sort of thing.

Comment

Providing you aren't taking it to a ring, sure. Every gameline has faults and waeknesses that can be taken advantage of. Starting cells is how some of these 'superhunters' might take advantage of them. Find some people, organize them against a threat, let them loose, then deal with the real issue while they're being a distraction.

Comment

With the exception of Mages, Demons and Beasts, pretty much every supernatural critter in the world has some kind of bane you can use to really mess up its day. And, even in the case of mages and beasts, a sniper shot will take them down easily - surprise attacks are deadly since putting up their armor takes a bit of thought on part of the characters. Very little thought, but by the time the bullets hit? Its too late. With demons? They have a weakness to being exposed, at which point hunter angels come to slaughter them. So, not quite 'fair,' as the OP puts it, but its still a valid tactic for taking down a supernatural that doesn't require the mortal to be supernatural themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by MCN View Post
                    With demons? They have a weakness to being exposed, at which point hunter angels come to slaughter them. So, not quite 'fair,' as the OP puts it, but its still a valid tactic for taking down a supernatural that doesn't require the mortal to be supernatural themselves.
                    Exampiel: "John, John, John... I can wear any face and bend reality itself to my whims. Why did you think you, a mere normal human, could come here and confront me?"
                    John: "Well, maybe I can't. But I'm sure live streaming your face and this confrontation for the past few minutes can't be good for you."
                    El Envioiel: "We have you surrounded, Traitor."
                    Last edited by Vent0; 07-07-2017, 10:37 AM.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Network Zero demon hunters. Now equiped with Google Glasses (TM). Fear them.

Comment

Demons are also pretty vulnerable to Ye Olde Fashioned Car Bomb and/or Sniper Rifle. The trick for hunters is finding the enemy and then not being found by the enemy. The rocket tag part is relatively easy.

Comment

Of Course, that could lead to you either becoming a tool of the God-Machine or getting killed to keep his secrets

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

The Lost Boys template from Hurt Locker are created with a serum that is arguably scientific rather than supernatural, despite being in the section for supernatural mortals, and they can potentially win a slugging match with some supernats. Whether they're on the table depends on how much you want to stretch the definition.

Comment

Originally posted by Professor Phobos View Post
                              Demons are also pretty vulnerable to Ye Olde Fashioned Car Bomb and/or Sniper Rifle. The trick for hunters is finding the enemy and then not being found by the enemy. The rocket tag part is relatively easy.
                              not if they have the Just Bruised embed, which is pretty common. JB works when surprise attacked too, making such attacks a big gamble.

Comment

Working...
                              X