Hunter Second Edition Inspirations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunter Second Edition Inspirations

We are having a blast working on the game, so I thought I'd pop in and kick off a fun conversation. Since Hunter first came out, there have been a ton of great books, movies, and TV shows that tap into different aspects. In this thread, list some of your faves! For example, the human faction in The Originals with their collection of dark objects are pretty cool. Quite a few Black Mirror episodes highlight technological advances while GRIMM and Supernatural are easy choices. That's just on the popular side of the equation! So, what kinds of things would you recommend to players devoting themselves to the Vigil for the first time?

The book London Falling is in my opinion the best story about regular mortals becoming hunters and finding their way around an unfamiliar supernatural landscape I've seen, recommended for Tier 1 play.

Paravigilum from Thunderstruck feels closer to a Hunter Conspiracy than anything else in the WoD, despite being run by supernaturals. And informs a fair bit about how I play Tier 3 groups. They may mostly be ordinary men with guns and training, but due to their sheer size, resources, and the ability to break out Endowments when needed even the most powerful supernaturals in the setting won't dare take them on head to head. (Also Bella Brouchard is perhaps the coolest charachter in all of Urban Fantasy)

“There are no rules. Only Principles and natural laws.” - Promethius
    My Homebrew no longer fits in a signature, you can find an index of it here.
    Full length fan-books I contributed too: Princess: the Hopeful, Leviathan: the Tempest, Dream Catchers

Comment

Probably because the movie hype made me read the book again, but I'd suggest Stephen King's It.

Then of course there's the Hellboy Universe, with all kinds of monster hunters from the ages, ranging from good devils to military organisations of all sorts, Victorian agents of the crown and Pulp crime fighters that stumble frequently on the supernatural world. All made more awesome from weird monsters, relics and mysteries. It's a huge source of inspirations for Hunter.

I think I can come up with some more later

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub
      Currently writing: "Dark Era: The Forest That Weeps".

Hopes to write about monsters, shapeshifters and soulless abominations someday. If you have criticism that can help me improve, I'm always here

Comment

Originally posted by Cinder View Post
        Then of course there's the Hellboy Universe, with all kinds of monster hunters from the ages, ranging from good devils to military organisations of all sorts, Victorian agents of the crown and Pulp crime fighters that stumble frequently on the supernatural world. All made more awesome from weird monsters, relics and mysteries. It's a huge source of inspirations for Hunter.
        This. Some of all of this.

Comment

True Detective (the first season; let's all pretend there is no second one) is about as perfect as I could ask for. Two cops get drawn into a supernatural mystery, and their hunt for the truth and the person/monster/??? at the heart of it takes an immense cost on their bodies, minds, and personal lives. That's the core of the Vigil for me; the CofD is a world where everyone keeps their heads down, and hunters are the rare few idiots who refuse to do that even if it destroys them.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Jessica Jones might be a superhero herself, but honestly, her struggle against Kilgrave feels a lot like a normal person trying to deal with a mind-controller. It helps that her powers are pretty low-key in the show. She's super-strong, and Luke Cage is nigh-invulnerable, but both offer little protection from Kilgrave.
            Last edited by Morty; 08-11-2017, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Seconding True Detective and Hellboy. Also, obvious pick is obvious, but Stranger Things.

Even though they were around for Hunter 1e, I'd also suggest the Sigma Force Novels by James Rollins. They focus more on science, but there are levels of the occult and supernatural layered in there too. It's a good idea of what would happe if Taskforce VALKERIE teamed up with Null Mysteriis.

Actually, pretty much everything by James Rollins would work well for Hunter.

CofD booklists:
              Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

Comment

Re: Inspirations

When my mind turns to characters that hunt the supernatural, my list of influences are really long and eclectic, but the following are some of the sources that rise to the surface time and time again and are mostly Hunter -specific.

Friday the 13th -The Series: This was an syndicated series that revolved around a pair of relatively normal people who inherited a shop full of cursed relics. I've been fascinated by the trope ever since.

Vampire$: A novel by John Steakley - the titular company is a group of Vampire Hunters who charge a fee for their services. The hunters maintained a very "eat drink, and be merry" lifestyle. That sort of joyously fatalistic attitude really resonated with how I think a person would cope with a intensely dangerous (and potentially damning) lifestyle.

The Hunter's Hunted: The first World of Darkness book that dealt specifically with Vampire Hunters. The artwork exceptional, and while very much a product of early White Wolf, it holds up well. The book also offers the first glimpse of what would eventually evolve in the Werewolves and Mages of the Classic WoD. The quote on the first page still sums up what I think being a Hunter is all about -

Too often humans scurry in fear of the dark. Too often they curry favor with the lords of evil. Too often they are weak, petty, vain or foolish. But not all, and not always. The battle is joined.

I also found good material from a few non White Wolf/ Onyx Path rpgs, Such as Beyond the Supernatural, and All Flesh Must be Eaten.

For more recent material, I have been greatly impressed by the series Gravity Falls, which depicts awesome ways to bring a amazing degree of weirdness to a game without ever going above a PG 13 rating.

Curios, Relics, and Tomes - A collection of Relics (Cursed and Otherwise)
                The Horror Lab - A collection of Beasts, Monsters and less definable things.
                Strange Places - A collection of Dark, Mysterious, and Wondrous Locations
                Twilight Menagerie - A collection of Ephemeral Entities

Comment

Omg, yes Gravity Falls!

CofD booklists:
                  Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

Comment

The Laundry books are a decent look at a Conspiracy, especially one that has to deal with other Conspiracies. The mojo is a bit more understood and employed, but it shows the toys/Endowments can be broken out when needed (and how risky even using them can be).

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Hannibal is great example of a Slasher and a Hunter having a really complicated relationship, and what happens when you look too hard into the light of Vigil.
                      Last edited by Yossarian; 08-12-2017, 12:42 AM.

Sam Young | Vampires ruin everything freelancer

VtR: Curses of Caine in Blood and SmokeTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
                      I podcast: The Breakup, a podcast about destroying the things you love

Comment

XCom: Enemy Unknown and it's sequel really capture the idea of a third tier Hunter Chronicle from the perspective of the head of a Conspiracy. You start out completely out numbered by an unknowable but distinctively more powerful force of monsters (and human collaborators) but through strategy, research and the occasional hard choice to sacrifice a solider or even a nation you can gain the upper hand. Both games offer more closure than you're likely to see in any CoD but it's a place to start.

Darkest Dungeon: Same general idea as XCom. You're a human meat grinder of a boss trying to deal with an otherworldly portal letting untold horrors into the world. Tapping adventurers to breaking points of mind and body until they are of no more use.

Ghostbusters: All versions of this franchise are a great (albeit less than serious) looks at ordinary folks getting way over their heads and delving head first into the supernatural. Maybe too serious for the corebook but certainly something to consider at your own table.

Daredevil: Not so much the plot or characters (which are both great make no mistake) but the fight choreography nails the sense of desperate brutality that you want in your hunter games.

and an honourable mention

#iHunt by former Onyx Path dev David Hill. I haven't gotten to read it yet, since it just came out today but from his description on twitter makes direct mention of a lot of the themes in Hunter that I love so I imagine it'll be a relevant read.

Comment

Re: Enemy Unknown

Total Agreement! In my various homebrew projects I have a partial XCom conversion - many of the ideas I used for that wandered into my regular games.

Curios, Relics, and Tomes - A collection of Relics (Cursed and Otherwise)
                          The Horror Lab - A collection of Beasts, Monsters and less definable things.
                          Strange Places - A collection of Dark, Mysterious, and Wondrous Locations
                          Twilight Menagerie - A collection of Ephemeral Entities

Comment

I started doing Horror stats for the XCom aliens a while ago but never finished. I really should.

Comment

Werewolf the Forsaken, second edition. With the shift in focus to 'The Wolf Must Hunt,' it's hard not to see the vigil as a mortal vestige of Father Wolf and the Uratha. The fiction, sans werewolf abilities, is about a cell of hunters whose lives have been overturned at a great threat they can't exactly explain to the authorities. They devote years and lives to putting an end to the threat, which just gets bigger and more pervasive while they try and find an angle to come at it that will end it for all. And in the end they do so, but not without loss, sacrifice, and deals that perhaps should not have been made.

Comment

Working...
                              X