Hunter Archetypes [Hack]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunter Archetypes [Hack]

Through the years, there have been a number of complains, suggestions, and opinions about whether or not should Endowments be tied to conspiracies. While I have always been on the camp of "each conspiracy its own Endowment", I do think that it could be a nice thought experiment to think about a setting were you can have Endowments without having "strings attached". Still, I think that having a "free to all" access to Endowment is a bit tasteless, I have came with an alternative, which is kind of a middle ground- replacing the highly specific splats of hunter with some broad "archetypes", with each such archetype granting access to number of conceptually related Endowments. The archetypes themselves are based around the capabilities of the certain hunter, and describe what kind of access and connection they may have to the occult world and their ability to utilize it for their own Vigil. This is still a bit rough, so feel free to criticize the idea (just don't make it to a "should or should not Endowments be tied to conspiracies" argument. I already said which side I support, and this is merely a thought experiment, nothing more). For this thread, I'm going to group all canon Endowment, as well as my own, KingRaven's, Skin & Bones's and some other, random homebrew.

Anyway, the list of archetypes is as follows-

Regular Joe/Jane- those hunters have no inherit capability to use supernatural abilities, and as such they need to relay upon outside accessories. Be them mundane, supernatural or just plainly weird, those hunters have chose the hunt for their free will, and take the greatest risk by getting involved and things which they don't really understand.

Canon Endowments: Relics (Aegis Kai Doru), Elixirs (Ascending Ones), Advanced Armory (VALKYRIE), Monster Media (Network 0)
    Skin & Bone: Thornapple (Regency of Thorns)
    LostLight: Infernal Technologies (Tartarus Enterprise), Nextlahualli (Tecuanimeh), Virtue Binding (Lycos Agema), Herbalism (Garden of Hesperides), Fetters (Pomegranate Deme), Chartomancy (Eye of Heaven), Tselamim (R.A.M), Rite of Moloch (Cult of Moloch), Caminhos (Navio de Tolos), Sea Salts (Yam VeNahar)
    KingsRaven: Gadgets (MI18), Elementary Deduction (Baker Street's Irregulars), Code (Reality Hackers)
    Civil Wars: Drugs (Jagged Crescent), Black Licence (Jomungandr), A.I.P.I (Nameless)
    Up the Tiers: Energetic Theories (Null Mysteriis), HunterNet (Union), Paradox Technologies (Division VI), Sight Enhancers (Illuminated Brotherhood), Spare Parts (Utopia Now), Legacy Coin (Heritage House), Networking (Bijin), Infused Pharmaceuticals (Last Dynasties International), Luminous Advancements (Deva Corps), Last Blow Serum (Dirge), Neo Medicine (Silver Cross), Disruption Field (Sons & Daughters of Cheshire), Cleaner (Terra Incognita), Primal Utility (Chosen of Mammon), Big Guns (Sibling in Arms), Bioclock (Tick Tock Men), Aludel (Pristine Order of Auric Chalice), FP (Phoenix Fire Watch), Paranormal Infection (White Heart Pharmaceuticals), Amulet of Eternity (Emerald Crucible)
    Others: Warrior's Code (Sons of Cu Chulainn), Mortal Compartmentalization (Searchlights), Anti Fear Treatment (Unit Huo)

Gutter Mage- some people are just born with certain capability to use supernatural abilities. Others learn it on their own, investing years of their life in research and deeper understanding of the the occult. At any case, those people have some natural capability to the hidden world, and by using strange and forbidden rites can use it as a weapon against the darkness.

Canon Endowments: Rites of Denial (Cainte Heresy), Goetic Gospels (Knights of St George), Rites du Cheval (Les Mysteres)
    Skin & Bone: Art of Dying (Dies Irae), Pyrokinesis (Obsidian Brotherhood)
    LostLight: Skeleton Key (Silent Imperative), Tselalim (Cage of Shadows), Blut Munze (Scharlach Spinnwebe), Shikigami (Aki Ten), Bans (Nibiru), Resonance (Silver Syndicate), Netjer Sma (Followers of Set), Night Ballads (Church of the Blood Moon), Shards (Order of the Nameless), Homunculus (Ashen Collective), Andolana (Aga Nritya), Chanson du Destin (Orchestra Fatalibus), Words of Irkalla (Ebony Fangs), Blood Rites (Shepherds of Annwn), Coffin Ceremonies (Temple of Silence), Idol Craft (Maagal HaBaal VeHaAshera), Mandate (Eye of Heaven), Mian Dui (Theater of Tragedies), Enochian Whispers (Nimrod Movement), Mantle of Hell (Heirs of the Crown), Infernal Investments (Cult of Moloch)
    KingsRaven: Sabine Sacraments (Stuff of Janus), Questing (Knight Errant)
    Civil Wars: Red Rituals (Aves Minerva), Spirit Rites (Tenders of the Dionysian Vineyard), Possession Aspects (Shango's Thunder), Geomancy (Tianxia Order)
    Up the Tiers: Das Archiv (Loyalists of Thule), Green Magic (Keepers of the Source), Spirit Hunt (Bear Lodge), Sacred Blood (Maiden's Blood Sisterhood), Hunt Zone (Night Watch), Sea Song (Ama San), Kagura (Azusa Miko), Divine Fate (Cult of Mitra), Kotoba no Kokai (Voyagers), Tale Binding (Keepers of the Weave), Tezcatlipoca (Nahualtin), Tpnalpohualli (Huitzilopotchli the Many Wheeled), Gu (Order of the Four Cornered Seal)
    Others: Arrangements (Office of the Lord Stewards), Fire's Touch (Firetouched Movement), Qiao (Shi), Soulsteel (Brotherhood Prizrakov), Contract (Carpenters)

Monster Eater- sometimes, hunters don't just fight monsters- they become monsters. They seek after what makes one into an inhuman creature and try to take it to themselves. Using either strange operations, occult rituals or even plain old cannibalism, those hunters steal the powers of the monsters for their own, and use it as they see fit.

Canon Endowments: Thaumatechnology (Cheiron Group), Antropophagy (Faithful of Shulpae), Setto (Hototogisu), Rite of Hecate (Promethean Brotherhood)
    Skin & Bone: Tolling (Section Nine)
    LostLight: Mutation (E.V.E), Hermetic Path (Museum Secretorum), D.I.V.I.N.E (A.S.T.R.A.L), Haravoth (Sabaoth), Kyoshin​ (Mori Kage), Curses (Maw of the River), Blood of the Dragon (Knights of the Bloody Chalice), Aberration (Bone Collectors)
    KingsRaven:
    Civil Wars: Relic Powers (Sword of Eden), Spirit Talisman (Great Spirit Society), Occult Evolution (Ningishzida)
    ​Up the Tiers: Enchanted Pelt (Les Voyageurs), Transhuman Potential (Amalgama)
    Others: Beautiful Madness (Wilde Society), Hunger Gospels (Brotherhood of the Locust)

Exorcist- there are hunters who hunt out of selfish reasons, and there are hunters who hunt out of holy duty. God has his agents upon earth, either chosen by him and his angels or by those who devout their life and soul to Him out of free will. Those hunters can call upon the power of the divine to help them in the hunt- even if they don't really understand what that "divine" is, or what it wants.

Canon Endowments: Ink (Knights of St Adrian), Benedictions (Malleus Maleficarum)
    Skin & Bone: Lumina (Army of Light), Abyssal Blessings (Chosen of Kroll)
    LostLight: Theo Tech (Raziel Ltd), Augury (Apollonian Priesthood), Theurgia (Los Inocentes), Scorch Marks (Custodes Ignis)
    KingsRaven: Devotion (Athenic Church), Shemot (HaKollel shel HaMerkava), Defensive Benedictions (Order of St Anthony), Mantle of Bastet (Bastet's Beloved), Hearthtending (Hearth of Hestia), Doorkeeping (Sunrise Securities)
    Civil Wars: Cursed Elixirs (Knife of Paradise), Spontaneous Benedictions (Order of St Ambrose), Zealot Benedictions (Brotherhood of St Athanasius), Soul Gospels (Church of the Original Sin)
    ​Up the Tiers: Blessed Speech (Long Night), Justice's Touch (Habibti Ma), Hashashin's Dance (Ahl al Jabal), Sunfire (Church of Inti), Warden (Protectors of the Light), Reverentia (Reckoning), Divine Vision (Lodowick Society), Gisei (Titgwai Gang)
    Others: Scriptography (Nephite Priesthood)

Cursed Child- not all hunters are human. Some only look like that. Under the surface, in their very blood, something boils and stirs- the blood of the ancient ones, of angels and demons who call the child to fight in the eternal battle between darkness and light. Some hunters accept their role, others defy it. All of them accept that they are not truly humans- but that they still have a side in that struggle.

Canon Endowments: Castigation (Lucifuge), Seitokoken (Otodo)
    Skin & Bone:
    LostLight: Scourge (Tartaruchi), Hadiat Layla (Al Rih al Asuad), Metwet (Hrt Isfet), Xayacatl (Nemontemi), Ilmu Hitam (Penyihir Mayat), Mofa (Tiansheng), Makutu (Tatau o te Po), Narak kee Mudra (Avici Sutra), Druj (Usij), IDE (Nightmare Network), Snovideniye (Burya Storozh), Toaavoth (Benei Topheth)
    KingsRaven:
    Civil Wars: Taint (LEnfant Diaboliques)
    Up the Tiers:
    Others:

Psychic Talent- the human mind is a wonderful thing. While all the 10% stories are nothing more than myths, some people are able to tap some inner, hidden power and call upon it in times of crises. Unlike the occult spells or divine blessings, those powers come wholly from their own spirit, and are a direct incarnation of the human will which takes a stand against the countless terrors of the night.

Canon Endowments: Dreamscape (Merrick Institute), Teleinformatics (VASCU)
    Skin & Bone:
    LostLight: Vision (Pythian Oracles), Flooding (ZMEI), Sealing (Silentium), Decapitation (Chasseurs de Tetes), Fractalic Soul (MourningStar Developments), Sonhar Navio (Navio de Tolos)
    KingsRaven: Dreaming (KSI21), Lightweaving (Llannerch Athrawon), Beastcrafting (Ride to Damascus)
    Civil Wars: Glitched Teleinformatics (Society of Twelve Keys)
    ​Up the Tiers: Vice Projections (Ashwood Abbey), Empathy (Talbot Group), Divine Right (Barret Commission), Bloody Binding (Scarlet Watch), Second Face (Hunt Club), Divine Grace (Gimu), Persona (Carvers), Psychological Suppression (Wordsmiths), Anarchy (Narodnaia Voila), Anomaly (Fellowship of the Finale Answer), Lifebond (Yuri's Group)
    Others: Mandrake Induction (Hotel Mascaron)

well, that's a lot more work than what I was expecting! I also see that the Gutter Mage list starts to get a little bit chubby- perhaps I'll have to split it into a number of smaller archetypes. I'll add the rest of the Endowments tomorrow (hopefully).

Anyway- what do you think?
    Last edited by LostLight; 09-11-2017, 01:18 PM.

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

On a Dragonlance-reading break. Surprise homebrew may still happen :P
    I now blog in here

Seems like good groupings. So:
    External - stuff anyone could use.
    Magic - learned Occult secrets.
    Assimilation - using monsters to empower them.
    Granted - given power by other forces.
    Inherent - something internal to the Hunter enables their power
    Psychic - mental power

Gutter Magic and Psychic has some overlap, or possibly Cursed and Psychic (depending).

What about those Endowments that are very monster specific, or exploit something in their nature?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Inching ever-closer to just having PbtA playbooks...

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

You forgot "Friends & Neighbors" for the Union.

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
          Gutter Magic and Psychic has some overlap, or possibly Cursed and Psychic (depending).
          well, the separation between psychic and occult powers was always a thematic one- but it is still an important one. Occult powers come from the Outside, from things you can't understand. Psychic powers come from yourself.

What about those Endowments that are very monster specific, or exploit something in their nature?
          as the general division focus around the source of the Endowment rather its effect, for now things like that aren't a problem. We'll see if it would become one as the project would progress,

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
            Inching ever-closer to just having PbtA playbooks...
            I... don't get your intention? Never played/read PbtA. Did I do something wrong? It os just an experiment, after all...

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy254 View Post
              You forgot "Friends & Neighbors" for the Union.
              well, that thread defines hunters according to their Endowments, not general behaviour. Besides, "friends and neighbors" are, by definition, Regular Joes/Janes, and that even without considering the "conspiracy level" I brewed for them in Going Up the Tiers.

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
                I... don't get your intention? Never played/read PbtA. Did I do something wrong? It os just an experiment, after all...
                PbtA games have relativrly strict narrative class systems, where each one has a narrow mechanical niche. What you describe sounds kinda close to how Monster of the Week does it; maybe take a look there?

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

PbtA games have relativrly strict narrative class systems, where each one has a narrow mechanical niche. What you describe sounds kinda close to how Monster of the Week does it; maybe take a look there?
                  I will, thanks!

I now blog in here

Comment

so, after finishing the list, I've got that the Archetype with the least number of associated Endowments are the Cursed Children (15), while the highest is the Gutter Mages (50) with the Average Joes a little behind (44). As the average is 30 with a standard deviation of 13 (which almost 50% of the average value), we can clearly see that thing are way from balanced- so those two archetypes are going to be split into two each, with each of the new archetypes having at least 15 associated Endowments. I'll give it a thought about how exactly to make the division, but if someone has suggestions feel free to share!

I now blog in here

Comment

You could divide Average Joes into Tech (anything based on science even weird/mad science) and External Magic (everything else) and Gutter Magic into Learned Magic (Magic rites that need to be researched and learned) and Bestowed Magic (magic rites that invoke otherworldly powers).

Comment

Originally posted by Darkblade View Post
                        You could divide Average Joes into Tech (anything based on science even weird/mad science) and External Magic (everything else) and Gutter Magic into Learned Magic (Magic rites that need to be researched and learned) and Bestowed Magic (magic rites that invoke otherworldly powers).
                        while it is attractive to divide Average Joe in the way you described, the truth is that there aren't a lot of purely "tech" Endowments- most of them are of a occult origin, even if they don't look that way (like Luminous Advancements, Infernal Technologies or Paradox Technologies). For now, I'm leaning more toward "technique" based hunters and "item" based hunters, but we'll see how well it works when numbers are concerned.

I now blog in here

Comment

Working...
                        X