Mixed Cell and Story Telling help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixed Cell and Story Telling help

Hey y'all. Having some trouble with our cell. We have a lot of homebrew endowments, but they are inspired by the cannon ones. Our cell has a Faith player, a bionics player, a psychic, an advanced armory character, and an Ink (the holy tattoos) player. Our game started out low powered with no endowments. The problem we seem to be having (at least as several of us feel) is that the endowments are not...believable? No one seems to flinch when a hunter with divine gifts uses a holy light ability (copied from benedictions with a small twist). No one seems to be intrigued when the psionics player manifests his powers. The players seem to treat them as normal, and it creates a weird passive approach to the supernatural. We are thinking of rebooting game as TFV cell with all the same endowment (advanced armory) and minor benefits here and there (the preacher requests the compact endowment prayer) to satisfy the niche each player will fill on the team.

MY question is for advice on how to run a mixed endowment game better (next time) and still make it...SHAZAAM! what experiences do you all have mixing endowments/cells/tiers...etc. Our game became stale, mundane, and lacking that gritty, "What are we gonna do!?!" Players were not respecting the powers. Advice? Also, when the endowments were introduced, i was NOT the story teller.

Our world blends classic WOD settings with the new ones. The next mixed cell game will feature:

A preacher who was...conscripted...into the Inquisition. He isn't catholic, but they recruited him because he took care of a spirit haunting.

A computer hacker

An investigative reporter who has minor psychic abilites (mainly a lie detector)

A police officer

A bar-tender.

The group wants the next mixed cell game to have endowments, but i am worried that it will become a weird non-authentic group again.

I hope I am communicating this well. We want to keep the scary mood but introduce cool powers to make the hunt more exciting.

Out of curiosity, why is the lack of surprise surprising? We're talking about people who know about vampires and werewolves after all. Is it a lack of, "Oh, this exists too? Well, that'll take getting used to", or is it a lack of, "HOLY SHIT HOW DID YOU DO THAT?!"

Comment

Good point. I guess it is because we went from lack of powers to big guns without a discovery curve. Our curve lacks development of character knowledge of the supernatural and the acquiring of endowments. We went from ignorance to empowered monster experts in one game session when no one has hunted anything other than a shape shifter.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy254 View Post
        Out of curiosity, why is the lack of surprise surprising? We're talking about people who know about vampires and werewolves after all. Is it a lack of, "Oh, this exists too? Well, that'll take getting used to", or is it a lack of, "HOLY SHIT HOW DID YOU DO THAT?!"
        Pertinent questions.

Also, what do you want to emphasize @op? How to make the use of such gifts horrific? Give them pertinent reasons to wonder "what if this asshole used that [evidently supernatural power] on me"? Have they had to do it already? Introduce some unease with possession: Many shows have at least 1 season in which the antagonist used to be a trusted companion and something caused him to pull a face turn heel. Doesn't needs to be a PC, maybe a trusted NPC could do. Bonus if the cause of the betrayal was the application of some power by one of the PCs.

Comment

Also, tips on making powers shocking when used first time. Maybe have endowments chosen but not given, make em spontaneous gifts from ST

Comment

Well, depending on the TFV advanced armory, you can have the agent involved break out the piece as things are getting really desperate. Cue the reactions of, "You had this the whole time?"

Comment

You might also want to look into the Supernatural Merits and Micro-Templates from Hurt Locker. Many of them have baked-in downsides or eerieness, and work well alongside Hunter Endowments.

For the Endowments themselves, try to introduce uncertainty regarding their source - when Vampires call down "Holy Powers" too, can the Benediction users really be sure that their power comes from God? Just what goes into the production of certain Advance Armory resources?

Also, throw them curve balls regarding the monsters they face and how vulnerable they are. The Horror rules give you endless variety.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
              Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Vent0 Indeed; few things are as scary as explosive pyrokinetics literally a hair-trigger away from bursting. I'd be very, very polite to him/her.

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                  For the Endowments themselves, try to introduce uncertainty regarding their source - when Vampires call down "Holy Powers" too, can the Benediction users really be sure that their power comes from God? Just what goes into the production of certain Advance Armory resources?
                  Seconding this. The problem seems to be that your players know what to expect from each Endowment. You need to disabuse them of this notion. Let every asset have strange little quirks to keep players off balance. The psychic gets strange interference every time they get close to a well. The ritual to ask questions to a corpse has it whisper an unprompted enigmatic message. The holy light reveals one of the characters as having stigmata, and you don't know why. A piece of Advanced Armory randomly emits a dial-up sound. None of these things should make the tools unreliable, but give you an opportunity to slip in foreshadowing to spook your players with.

~

Comment

Working...
                  X