Conspiracy: The Dream Healers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conspiracy: The Dream Healers

'J the Great' was in a rather confusing and irritating situation. He'd been tracking a rather devious and conniving monster, one whom J had branded the Deceiver. The Deceiver had managed to become the head of some big name law firm, and had own several major cases, in one case resulting in it's opponent being disbarred. To the ignorant, it looked like the Beast was just a skilled attorney, but J knew the truth, he could see the retched thing for what it was: A beastly, savage giant, building a fortress and staffing it with traitorous syncopates. It had used its' powers to twist the minds of everyone in those courtrooms, convincing them that up was down, black was white, and that its' revolting lies were the truth.

J had a plan, of course, and knew charging the Deceiver would be useless as long as it had its' servants and fortress. So J had found the fortress's weak point, learned when most of its' minions would all be entering at once, and had prepared a bomb. When the beast came in the next morning, it would find its' fortress destroyed and its' minions dead. What's more, J had packed the bomb with iron shaving, which would fill the Deceiver's lungs and rob it of its' monstrous powers. All together, J would be in the perfect position to slay it with one solid blow. Sure, the Deceiver and its' minions wouldn't be the only bodies there, but it was like J's mom had often said, "you can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs," and this wasn't J's first omelet either.

But just as J had been about to place the bomb, he'd felt something hit his back, and then what felt like a lightning bolt rip threw him. The last thing he'd seen before passed out was some vague shadows approaching him. When he came to, J had found himself in a dimly lit room, chained to a metal chair, welded to the floor, so even with his great strength, J could get it to budge even a bit. He'd occasionally heard footsteps and whispered discussions, but he still hadn't seen who was holding him prisoner. Not that J didn't have a good idea as to who they were; that damn Beast had been smarter than J thought, it had extra minions, nighttime warden's to guard its' fortress when the sun went down. The last few monsters J had fought didn't have anything like that; this meant the Deceiver must have heard J was on his way and buffed up security in secret. J smiled at the thought that monsters were that scared of him, when the sound of a door opening brought his attention back to the current situation.

A man wearing a ghost white jacket, blood red shirt, and midnight blue jeans sat down on a stool across from a big grin on his face, the kind of shit-eating grin that always pissed J off, and would have loved to wipe off his face if it weren't for the chains. "Listen asshole," J snarled, "I'll give you one chance: takes these chains off, let me finish things, and I'll let you live."
    All J received was the same grin, which long made him angrier, "Look here you fucker! That thing ain't human, its' hurting people, and I'm the only one who can kill it!"

"You're partially correct, J," the man sitting before J said as he stuck out his hands, placing his left on J's chest and his right on J's forehead. Before J could ask what the hell this guy thought he was doing or bite his dumbass hand off, J began to feel... strange.

His vision began to cloud, his head became stuffy, and he found that the whole room was swimming. Then, it was over, the man took his hands off J, taking with him a strange milky white fog that quickly gathered into an orb. But J didn't feel the same, in fact, he didn't feel like J at all, he felt like Jethro Mason, the pathetic loser he'd been until the day he'd decided that slaying monsters was what he was meant to do. And somehow, Jethro realized, the man in front of him was the reason why he no longer felt like a hero. He tried to yell, scream, and threaten, but couldn't find the courage or strength to, instead Jethro weakly asked, "What have you done to me?"

The man stopped smiling as he waved of his hands and the orb became a sword, he stared at Jethro with piercing glare and said, "I have taken from you the gift you've been misusing, Jethro Theodore Mason. You have proven yourself too mad and unstable to use it properly. And with this gift, I will do the things you failed to do; I will be what you have so miserable failed at."

Jethro didn't know what scared him more, the fact that the guy somehow knew his full name, or how menacing the man became once he grasped the sword, "And what was I suppose to be?"

"A true Hero."

________________(Note, the above and below INCREDIBLY WORK-IN-PROGRESS)_____________

"You think that just blindly killing monsters makes you a hero? Have you even listened to what your dreams tell you? Or are they filled with nothing but monuments to yourself? Let me show you the wisdom hidden in nightmares. Let me show you what your real duty is!"

Once upon a time, Dreams had meaning, purpose, and significance. Dreams imparted insight into one's self, truths one had denied, omens of the future dangers or rewards, and wisdom that allowed those who heeded it to progress. Once, dreams were so close, all considered them to be part of the world itself, a part that most people only truly saw when they slept. Yet there were also those with a powerful connection to Dreams, a connection so powerful that Dreams gave them a duty to help spread the Wisdom Dreams held.

There are those who are born to spread fear as terrifying monsters and there are those born to oppose them as mighty heroes. Through this mythic cycle, Wisdom was handed down from Dreams to the masses. And there were those who, while not carrying the mantle of Beast or Hero, could help ensure that the Wisdom was preserved through their own connection to Dreams. Through this connection, they aided those plagued by confusing dreams and disturbing nightmares, and devise easy ways the wisdom could be remembered and taught. People called these individuals many different names: story tellers, wisemen, diviners, and dream seers.

But one day, the dream seers noticed something strange and terrible was happening. Many Beasts began inflict fear and terror with no lesson or wisdom to dispense, their minds clouded by their appetites. Further, many Heroes became increasingly obsessed with their own personal glory and the killing of monsters, to the point that they forget their duty to find and spread the Wisdom hidden within fear. And even those who did not become self-absorbed became so convinced of the Beasts' Inherent evil that they failed to see any Wisdom, or even realize it existed!

Adding to this trouble, the kin of Beasts began to develop strange and unsettling abilities that allowed them to warp and distort Dreams. With each creature that did so, Dreams began shift, forced into forms that reflected each creatures' own views and knowledge rather than Dreams inherent truth. With each newly distorted form, Dreams became harder to remember with each passing night, and far stranger than the nights before. As the realm of dreams changed into a myriad of forms, people lost faith in their dreams and the wisdom these dreams presented. Soon, people began lashing out, declaring dreams to be meaningless and those who said differently were liars and fools. People abandoned the wisdom of Dreams, believing nothing but what their own eyes saw, refusing to see any point in dreams.

And from the sidelines, the sleep diviners, the tellers of tales, and seers of dreams wept and wonder how they can stop this dreadful decay from continuing. Then, one among their number spoke out, "Should we truly be doing nothing as meaningless fear is spread, precious wisdom is lost, and dreams are further twisted? No! I say, if the Heroes will not use their gifts properly, we shall take them and use them right! If the Beasts will not teach true lessons, we shall stop them! And if the Kin of Beasts will not stop violating dreams, we shall slay them!" Thus were the Dream Healers truly born.

By melding with the Dreams, Dream Healers blur the line between dreams and reality, and force creatures that pervert dreams into seeing their true power.

Endowment: Dream Melding 0-00000

By harnassing their connection to dreams, Dream Healers are both able to cross from the Waking World into one of the Myriad Realms, or bring the two Worlds closer together, imposing their dreams onto reality.
    Last edited by Mangaholic13; 09-29-2017, 02:18 AM. Reason: Added Endowment name and description.

Well, this is my first true attempt at making something Home-brewed. Please give me comments, critics, and suggestions about how this can be expanded and improved.

Right now, working idea for an Endowment is calling it Dream-Melding. Enemies include Beasts, Heroes, Changeling, and Mages.

Comment

What is dream melding going to do, mechanically? Environmental Tilt and/or area Condition application?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
        What is dream melding going to do, mechanically? Environmental Tilt and/or area Condition application?
        To be honest, I'm still trying to decide that fully, I'm not very good with mechanics yet. Though I am thinking at higher ratings it would allow you to impose Environmental tilts/conditions, similar to when a Beast imposes their Lair. Another idea is the ability to, at least temporarily, take a Hero's Gifts or ability to inflict Anathema for their own use.

I'm also thinking some of their abilities would grant them dream traveling/manipulation and allow them at higher ratings to manifest a dream form for combat.

Like I said, this group is very much at a concept level right now, hoping others might help me iron out details and philosophies.

The Enemy:

Calling Beasts and Heroes the enemy is a bit of a misnomer, as the Dream Healers do not truly hate or despise either group, but do have a problem with the actions and behaviors of many on both sides. This is not to say that they will constantly harass or attack either, but they will observe identified Heroes and Beasts and intervene if their actions are clearly destructive and malicious. Often, this observation will take many different forms, ranging from spying, stalking, to even infiltrating dreams, though this last method carries it's own dangers. A Beast that inflicts fear with no true lesson in mind or a Hero that willingly causes massive amounts of collateral damage in slaying a Beast will likely find the Dream Healers knocking on their door steps.

To ensure that a Beast or Hero is judged fairly, the actions of a Hero/Beast will be reviewed by three independent Dream Healers, and if all three agree that the Beast/Hero has strayed, action will be taken. With Heroes, the are restrained, their gifts put to use by wiser hands until the Hero can be properly educated about their role in the Dreams. With Beasts, diplomacy if generally done first, though not without some leverage to ensure the Beast does not simply kill the negotiator. In either case, death is only used if the Beast/Hero proves to be too arrogant, depraved, or stubborn to except their true role in life... Or, this at least how it should be, but rarely do Beasts or Heroes listen to the Dream Healers wisdom, meaning most are sadly put down.

Due to the Dream Healer's other goal of protecting Dreams and someday restoring it from the Myriad Dreams to it's original form, The Dream Healers also come into conflict with Changelings, Mages, and other related creatures.

With Changeling, the Dream Healers have an uneasy relationship, many noting how Changelings have abilities that let them enter and twist Dreams very easy; not to mention that the strange place Changeling are able to enter, the Hedge, seems to be somehow connected to Dreams, and many of its' residence have similar dream-weaving powers. Yet, those Changelings the Dream Healers have had more peaceful contact with claim an even greater danger exists, the True Fae, which cannot only twist dreams to suite their needs, but even create special dream based poisons to help them in snatching unsuspecting humans. The Dream Healers naturally find this idea alarming at best and do what they can to stop such poisons from running its course.

When it comes to Mages though, the Dream Healers are far less civil or diplomatic. The fact that those Mages they have interrogated or questioned insist that they, not the Dream Healers, are the ones in the right and that non-Mages are meddlesome fools who know nothing of what they take about does not help matters. The policy as far as most Dream Healers are concerned regarding Mages that distort Dreams is to strike first and ask questions only when matters become truly complicated, both to prevent further dream distortions and discourage Mages from following in the footsteps of their predecessors. As far as their knowledge of Mage society goes, they know three factions exist at least: One that seeks to expand their magical knowledge and power; one that seeks to rule over the masses as some sort of sorcerous overlords; and one that seems to worship some kind of monstrous force that may not even exist; all however, treat dreams with little respect, using dreams as tools to suite their own purposes, and the Dream Healers cannot allow this.

Recently, the Dream Healers have become aware of another Myriad Dream, one filled with vast kingdoms and strangely empathic nobles who command strange, light-based magic that differs greatly from the sorcery wielded by Mages. Dialogue's with these Nobles has given the Dream Healers quite the cause for alarm: according to the Empaths, this particular Myriad Dream was a result of their ancient enemy, a literal embodiment of suffering and despair, creating a prison in which to trap their souls and prevent them from reincarnating to continue their never-ending battle against it. To aid in this, certain denizens were given powers that allowed them to alter and twist the memories of anyone inside this dream prison, convincing them that the dream was their true home and the Waking World is some sort of nightmarish illusion. While the Nobles assert that their Queens have long stripped these deceivers, whom the Dream Healers have dubbed Jailers, of their power, they admit that many still exist in the hidden corners of this Myriad Dream and still try to carry out their old duties on unsuspecting dreamers. Adding to the Dream Healers' worries is that Nobles claim that some inhabitants, envious of humans living in the Waking World, have developed strange magics that allow them to steal the body of sleeping humans, using them to fulfill their own desires. Naturally, the Dream Healers find the very idea that creature from dreams could be distorting the Waking World just as disturbing, maybe even more so, as the Waking World distorting the Dream and combat these Jailers and Snatchers whenever they encounter them. As for the Nobles themselves, while the Dream Healers are still uncertain how much of their claims are true, members of the Dream Healers have not only witnessed the activities of Jailers and Snatchers, but have seen Nobles rescue the victims of these beings and guide their sleeping selves back to the Waking World, so the organization is willing to give the benefit of the doubt... provided that the Nobles whose souls reside in the Myriad Dream eventually reincarnate, at least...

Sidebar: Dreams? Myriad Dreams? Waking World?
        Some reading this who have read other splats may wonder what the Dream Healers may be referring to when they speak of Dreams: The Astral Realm Mages explore for Lore and Self-Discovery? The Skien Changeling travel along in order to Weave dreams? The Primordial Dream that Beasts claim their monstrous souls come from? The Dreamland Princesses travel to in order to consult ancient queens and nobles while avoiding its former jailers?

The answer is simple: Yes... And No. In the Dream Healers mythology, dreams were once a part of the world itself that most simply couldn't see unless they were sleeping. But as supernatural forces began to actively use and exploit dreams, they would twist dreams into forms that they found most useful and understandable, until the dreams were separated first from the world, and then divided into several different realms. For the original form of dreams, Dream Healers refer to it as The Dream, while they call the distorted versions the Myriad Dreams, and they consider have long considered it part of their mission to one day tear down the divides between the Myriad Dreams, restore Dreams to its original form, and reintegrate it with our world, the Waking World. Or, at least, that is how the Dream Healers see things.

Ultimately, each place is simply how that breed of supernatural perceives the world of collective dreams. Simple as that.
        Last edited by Mangaholic13; 10-01-2017, 05:34 PM. Reason: Added Princess the Hopeful to the Conspiracy

Comment

Originally posted by Mangaholic13 View Post

To be honest, I'm still trying to decide that fully, I'm not very good with mechanics yet. Though I am thinking at higher ratings it would allow you to impose Environmental tilts/conditions, similar to when a Beast imposes their Lair. Another idea is the ability to, at least temporarily, take a Hero's Gifts or ability to inflict Anathema for their own use.

I'm also thinking some of their abilities would grant them dream traveling/manipulation and allow them at higher ratings to manifest a dream form for combat.

Like I said, this group is very much at a concept level right now, hoping others might help me iron out details and philosophies.
          I think leveraging Beasts mechanics for Tilts and Nightmares might be a good idea, given their connection to the Dream. I could see low level Dream Melding granting Conditions like Informed, Steadfast, etc. Maybe personal Tilts (but skewed towards positive effects, as opposed to negative). Higher levels would be reserved for affecting entire areas or masses of people on the Scene. Limited to the minor Lair Traits or beneficial equivalents, though - they're still only human, after all.

You could see about inverting Nightmares as inspiration for effects. The Gift inhibition and Anathemas could be rolled into their general personal + area affecting ability (Convince a target their Gift is gone, or they are weak to X, and to some degree it is so).

Bonuses to others in Dreams (Dream combat, etc) could be provided via a helpful Condition that the recipient could resolve for a boost that night. Even something like Oneiric Ally for creating a helpful Goetic (based on the Dream Healer) for assistance inside Dreams.

Comment

I think leveraging Beasts mechanics for Tilts and Nightmares might be a good idea, given their connection to the Dream. I could see low level Dream Melding granting Conditions like Informed, Steadfast, etc. Maybe personal Tilts (but skewed towards positive effects, as opposed to negative). Higher levels would be reserved for affecting entire areas or masses of people on the Scene. Limited to the minor Lair Traits or beneficial equivalents, though - they're still only human, after all.

You could see about inverting Nightmares as inspiration for effects. The Gift inhibition and Anathemas could be rolled into their general personal + area affecting ability (Convince a target their Gift is gone, or they are weak to X, and to some degree it is so).

Bonuses to others in Dreams (Dream combat, etc) could be provided via a helpful Condition that the recipient could resolve for a boost that night. Even something like Oneiric Ally for creating a helpful Goetic (based on the Dream Healer) for assistance inside Dreams.
            I think right now, I'll have it be that Dream-Melding represents the users skill in the actual practice while having the various uses require separate purchases, with the stippulation that they gain a use for free with each dot of Dream-Melding they purchase. How does that sound?

I'll also need to review the rules for Dream Combat (or ask about how they'll work in Chronicles of Darkness) before writing the abilities.

Also, thanks for the suggested uses Vent0
            Last edited by Mangaholic13; 10-01-2017, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Okay... OKAY!!! Are some time browsing the forums, reviewing the rules and some details about compacts and conspiracies, I've managed to hash out a few more details about the Dream Healers, namely in the form of Status and some factions.

​Also... still trying to think of things for Dream-Melding...

O​: You have been welcomed into the Dream Healers, allowing you to learn the meditative techniques they use. You can access to Dream Melding Endowment.
              OOO: ​You have done great deeds in the name of The Dream. You gain two free dots, which you may use to purchase any of the following merits: Dream Avatar, Ephemeral Fetish,
              ​OOOOO:​ Many Healers look to you for inspiration and guidance, often going to you for advice on how to properly meld. The Sleeping Sages come to you in your sleep, and some think you may one day join them. You gain a four dot mentor representing the Sleeping Sages aid, which you may call upon in your sleep.

Sidebar: The Sleeping Sages
              ​Now, while the Dream Healers were founded ages ago, the founders still live... in a manner of speaking. While their bodies perished in eons past, their minds still exist in the Dream, seeking out new initiates, advising living leaders, and searching for a means restore the Dream to it's original state. It is through this that the Dream Healers endure any and all set backs in their great quest.

No living member knows how they separated themselves from their flesh, or how, on a rare occasion, they add to their ranks. The Sages refuse to answer any questions regarding it, and sternly dissuade living Dreamers form attempting to learn more.

​This secrecy leaves some Dream Healers deeply concerned, naturally...
              The Dream Healers divide themselves into different Roles​, representing how these members do their part to help mend the Dream and the lives Dream touches:

The Watchers​ are in charge of monitoring and confronting the Dream Healers foes. In the Waking World, they tail their mundane identities and spy upon their dreams... which can be very risky, since those they hunt are unlikely to respond well to being watched. And that is not even getting into the dangers they face when actually confronting them. Specialty: Stealth (Shadowing)

The ​Nurturers​ tend mainly to the victims, doing what they can to help those who have fallen prey to irresponsible monsters and heroes, whilst helping them find the meaning behind the nightmares they've suffered. They also tend to those who do combat in dreams, taking the Dream Medic Merit. Many members of this Role work in the medical profession, either as doctors, paramedics, or psychiatrists. ​Specialty: Medicine (Psychology)

Lastly, are the Seekers​ who explore many different dreams, folklore, esoteric literature, and psychological texts, trying to find any clues, rites, or lore that might aid in the task of restoring the Dream. Many members of the Role are scholars, academics, occult investigators, and anthropologists. Specialty: Occult (Dreams)
              Last edited by Mangaholic13; 04-06-2018, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Well, done so more thinking, and I'm glad to say I've managed to think of a few ideas about how Dream-Melding will function... Though that isn't what this post is about. Instead, it's about the Dream Healers' stereotypes and hunters. I may add some for fan-made C&Cs... with their creators permission.

Stereotypes

Yuri's Group:​ Their patients are proof of what a damage a Beast which has strayed can cause. Send such victims to them, but do not let them know what we are.

The Reckoning:​ Ignorant fools, the whole lot. The fact that they are little different from those they hunt is rather sad.

​The Merrick Institute:​ No child should have to go through this. There is so much we could teach them, if only we could get them to trust us. Lend them a helping hand when you can do so discreetly.

​The Cheiron Group:​ The Sleeping Sages have cautioned us about anyone who bears their emblem. They also insist we avoid their dreams at all cost.

​The Loyalists of Thule:​ On occasion, I have entered the dreams of certain scholars. They are filled with regret, shame, a need for atonement. What could drive such men to dream as they do?

The Dream Healers and The Merrick Institute
                Unsurprisingly, the Dream Healers have noticed that their are others using the power of dreams to hunt down Beasts. However, the fact that the ones who do so are children greatly unnerves many amongst the Dream Healers. As the Dream Healers see it, no child should be made to confront Beasts, especially in their own domain! From what information Dreamers have been able to gather, these children were recruited into an experiment that involved the Beasts' Myriad Dream. Unsurprisingly, many of these children lost either their lives or bodies; leading the survivors to rebel and escape, continuing to battle Beasts whilst evading their former masters. This tragic background has earned them the Dreamers' sympathy, and many wish to recruit these children.

​Unfortunately these children, who call themselves the Merrick Institute, as a challenge to their former captors, react to any such overtures with suspicion and distrust. After all, the Institute had promised to help them when first recruiting them; how can they be sure the Dream Healers are different? The fact that the Dreamers have a very different view on Beasts, the monsters which killed or traumatized so many of their friends during their captivity, does little to help.

For now, the Dream Healers who try to interact with the Merrick children do so under the guise of the helpful and kindly stranger, giving support without letting the children know their true nature and abilities unless absolutely necessary. By building good will, the Dreamers to someday convince the children of their good intentions. In Australia, the local Dreamers have managed to establish friendly relations with a group of Merrick Institute children attempting to set up a permanent facility.

​And as for the mysterious Institute that conducted, and continues to conduct, those experiments? The Dreamers make a point of attacking any facilities they come across, liberating any children contained within them. They know not why the Institute does what it does, but the Dreamers do not doubt that it will only cause Dream to be further twisted.
                Hunters
                ​Your dreams were always deeper, stranger, and more meaningful then those of others. Eventually, you learned how to lucid dream, and with that began to explore. You saw terrifying monsters, fantastic creatures, and mystical wizards when you slept. Then one day, you waked into a man you'd meet in your dreams the previous night. He told you that the things you saw were real, real and dangerous. He offered to show you how to dream deeper then ever before. Now you fight in both the dreaming and waking world.

​You were a psychology major assisting with a sleep study. At first, all was going well, until participates reported strange and troubling experiences... then some of them never woke up; while others died whilst sleeping. As you tried to figure out the cause, you were disturbed to discover it was the professor you were working for. He claimed that it was all for the sake of learning the inner workings of the mind, and that some loses were acceptable. Before he could dispose of you, the Dream Healers intervened, slaying the mage and freeing the survivors. Now you work with them to fix the damage men like your professor created.

​You had a Hero, one you admired deeply, who told you stories of how they hunted down savage Beasts and saved lives. When you were offered the chance to join the hunt, you took it without a moments hesitation. But reality was very different from fantasy: your fellows died as your Hero fought the Beast with reckless abandon; and when the monster lay dead, your Hero showed no concern for the lives lost and simply went looking for more followers. In anger, horror, and disgust, you fled, putting as much distance as you could from the thing you'd once admired. As you lay there, the Dreamers found you, set the record straight, and offered you their guidance. Someday, you hope to find the person you'd previously idolized, and when you do, you'll show them what being a true Hero is all about.

​...Not sure how clear my writing was with this, so if you've got questions, lay them on me.
                Last edited by Mangaholic13; 04-07-2018, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Well, the time has come! It's time I finally put down Dream-Melding! I hope you all enjoy.

​Dream-Melding:
                  ​Using special meditative techniques and exercises, Dreamers are able to enter one of the Myriad Dreams, place others in special healing dreams, or meld dreams and the waking world. Similar to Castigation, a Dream Healer learns a new use of Dream-Melding with each dot purchases. Unlike Castigation, however, a Dream Healer may purchase uses outside their Dream-Melding as additional merits. Dream Healers also have access to the Dream Sword, Dream Shield, Regenerative Mind, and Wrack merits.

Dream-Melding versus Dreamscape
                  ​Now, some of you may be wondering, if Dream Healers can access the some of the same Merits as the Dream Warriors, then how is Dream-melding any different from Dreamscape? Well, there are a few differences: for one, Dream-Melding does not allow one to alter or manipulate the terrain of dreams; to the Dream Healers, doing so is to distort Dreams, a terrible offense. Further, as you will see below, Dreamscape does not allow the Dream Warriors to actually enter the dream worlds, they must​ use the Procedure Tactic, while the Dream Healers have their own means of enter dream lands and even bringing their dream avatar into the real world, or their dreams themselves even. Both Dream-Melding and Dreamscape has their strengths and weaknesses.
                  ​Entry Dream
                  ​One of the most basic abilities Dream-melding allows; the Dreamer enters a meditative trance in which they project their minds into one of the Myriad Dreams, allowing them to confront those who might twist the Dream.
                  Action: Instant
                  Dicepool: Wits + Composure + Dream-Melding​
                  ​Cost: None

Roll Results:
                  Dramatic Failure:​ The Dreamer not only fails to enter the Dream, but places incredible strain onto their mind in the process. The Dreamer gains the Soul Shock condition, takes a point of bashing damage per point of willpower lost, and goes unconscious for one hour per point of willpower lost.
                  ​​Failure​:​ The Dreamer does not enter the trance.
                  ​Success:​ The Dreamer project's their mind into a desired dream world. (See Rules for the Dream World on page 10-11 of ​Tooth and Nail​). To return to their body, the dreamer must make another check.
                  Exceptional Success:​ Regain one point of Willpower.
                  ​​Waking Dream
                  ​Once a Dreamer has learned to freely enter and exit dreams, then they can learn how to bring their dreaming self into the real world. This ability, while powerful, carries its own potent drawbacks.
                  Prerequisite: Entry Dream
                  ​Action: Instant
                  Dicepool: None
                  ​Cost: 2 Willpower
                  Effect:
                  ​ The dream manifests themselves into the waking world as a spirit, with access to all Dream related attributes and merits.
                  ​Drawbacks: If the dreamer should lose all their health in this state, they will die for real. Further, in order to return to their body, they must spend 1 willpower and make a Entry Dream check. Upon returning to their body, the Dreamer gains the Soul Shock condition.
                  ​Mending Dream
                  ​A method for helping overtaxed minds recover, this technique is often used on victims of Starving Beasts to help hasten their recovery.
                  ​​Action: Instant
                  ​Dicepool: None
                  ​Cost: 1 Willpower
                  ​Effect:
                  ​​ The Dreamer induces in a willing, sleeping recipient a nostalgic dream of comfort, allowing them to recover an additional point of willpower.
                  Healing Dream
                  ​A more advanced version of the Mending Dream, a required technique for anyone in the Role of Nurturer. This technique enables a Dreamer to heal, not just the mind, but the body, but requires they risk their own mind in the process...

​Prerequisite: Mending Dream
                  Action: Instant
                  ​Dicepool: Manipulation + Empathy
                  Cost: 1 Willpower
                  Roll Results:
                  Dramatic Failure:
                  Instead of a dream that heals the recipient, the patient instead suffers a terrible nightmare that they can not wake from prematurely. The recipient not only does not recover a Willpower point, but loses one. Meanwhile, the Dreamer is inflicted with the Soul Shock condition, as their mind is flooded with visions of the recipient's pain and suffering.
                  ​Failure:​ The recipient has a normal dream.
                  Success:​ The recipient has a dream of healing, rest, and relaxation. They regain an additional point of Willpower and bashing equal to the Dreamer's dots in Dream-Melding.
                  Exceptional Success:​ In addition to recovering an point of willpower, the recipient heals all bashing damage and a point of lethal damage per dot the Dreamer has in Dream-Melding.

Will add more a little later

​This is my first attempt at a Endowment, any criticism, advice, and suggestions are welcome.
                  Last edited by Mangaholic13; 04-11-2018, 06:12 PM.

Comment

When they use Entry Dream (odd naming) to (re?)enter the world, is it as Goetia/Dreamborn? Can they interact with those entities, or do they lack Twilight Form? Would a 1/hour Willpower drain (like Essence Bleed) fit for a Drawback?

What about structuring this like a Merit tree? Some serve as pre-reqs for more advanced abilities.

And how would you model in (likely) 2E's Condition-like Endowment terms?

Comment

When they use Entry Dream (odd naming) to (re?)enter the world, is it as Goetia/Dreamborn? Can they interact with those entities, or do they lack Twilight Form? Would a 1/hour Willpower drain (like Essence Bleed) fit for a Drawback?

What about structuring this like a Merit tree? Some serve as pre-reqs for more advanced abilities.

And how would you model in (likely) 2E's Condition-like Endowment terms?
                      ​In order:

​1) That ability is called Waking Dream. I don't know how the entry got eat into Entry Dream. Also, regarding the name, I did mention I was taking suggestions and advice.

​2) I'd probably do it as a Merit Tree if I thought I had enough abilities to justify the tree.

​3) I don't have enough info about 2ed Endowments. I used the Corebook, Mortal Remains, and Tooth & Nail to figure out potential mechanics for Dream-Melding.

Thanks for commenting Vent0, if you have any suggestions, let me know.

Comment

Regarding names - do you want them with a theme (X Dream), simple descriptive (Seeking Dream), or referential and fanciful (Veil of Ivory - referencing the Gates of Horn and Ivory to divide "real" dreams from "false")? I find deciding upon a structure lets other names flow easier.

So you want ideas for other powers? A "find the target in their dreams and uncover information by analyzing the dreamscape" power would be fitting. A mass "everyone shares the same dream so they can coordinate and cooperate upon an action" power would fit also. Hmm. Do you have a framework or mechanism for how the powers should operate, or is it just "dream related" right now?

There is a preview for the 2E Endowment mechanics here: http://theonyxpath.com/revising-endo...ter-the-vigil/

Comment

Regarding names - do you want them with a theme (X Dream), simple descriptive (Seeking Dream), or referential and fanciful (Veil of Ivory - referencing the Gates of Horn and Ivory to divide "real" dreams from "false")? I find deciding upon a structure lets other names flow easier.

So you want ideas for other powers? A "find the target in their dreams and uncover information by analyzing the dreamscape" power would be fitting. A mass "everyone shares the same dream so they can coordinate and cooperate upon an action" power would fit also. Hmm. Do you have a framework or mechanism for how the powers should operate, or is it just "dream related" right now?

There is a preview for the 2E Endowment mechanics here: http://theonyxpath.com/revising-endo...ter-the-vigil/
                          ​I was going with X Dream fir simplicity of theme. I'm open to any suggestions regarding names.

​Mostly just dream related... for now.

​I'd prefer to wait until 2ed official comes out before designing Endowments according to a system that may not be used.

Comment

Are there any major power concepts your want or want to be off limits (such as a direct attack power)?

Comment

Working...
                            X