Goetic Gospels vs Other Supernaturals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goetic Gospels vs Other Supernaturals

Hey, 1st Edition nWoD player here. I couldn't help but notice in Witch Finders where the Goetic Gospels of the Knights of St. George are detailed they repeatedly imply that the Gospels are targeted at Witches, the Mysteries they wield, and Source. However much like how the Lucifuge are given some leniency with what counts as a demon, I wondered if Goetic Gospels could work on other supernatural powers. For instance the spirit sorcery wielded by werewolves and other creatures of the shadow, underworld magics wielded by ghosts and sin eaters alike, both of which are shown to have some relation to the spirit magic and necromancy of warlocks. If we wanted to get really crazy I would wonder if Goetic Gospels could dispel certain vampiric disciplines (looking at you Dominate and Nightmare) and/or promethean abilities.

I'm not the biggest Mage the Awakening expert (Vampire, Hunter, Werewolf, Changeling, and Geist are my games), but this looks like Abyssal sorcery the Knights are wielding, if that's the case I guess the big question is does the Abyss screw with supernatural powers beyond magic drawn from the Supernal? Any thoughts or input is appreciated.
    Last edited by Star Sage; 01-05-2018, 05:45 AM.

Its never actually explained what the Knight's power * really * comes from. Its generally believed to be an Abyssal cult, but that could change from game to game if you really want it to. They could be Inferno-style Demons. They could be summoned Spirits, Goetia from Mage, a Mystery Cult, or whatever you want them to be. Some things it could be would work well against other types of magic, other things would be powerless against other types of magic. At the very least, it works against both Mages and Witches, and the text seems to imply that it works only for them.

If you want to throw your players a curve-ball, or to expand on what your players can effectively fight, you can say that they effect whatever you want them to. 2E's new Endowment system is open ended enough that it will * probably * be able to effect more than just Awakened magic through different Endowments.

If you want to stick with the "They are Abyssal cultists", then as far as I know Abyssals only effect Awakened magic and other things that make Paradox. But I don't know very far, so take that with a grain of salt.

Comment

The Abyss screws up Supernal magic due to the nature of the Abyss, but the Abyss always has the potential for everything. Due to this it's fully possible that the Abyss grants powers that screws with all types of magic equally.

Bloodline: The Stygians
      Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
        The Abyss screws up Supernal magic due to the nature of the Abyss, but the Abyss always has the potential for everything. Due to this it's fully possible that the Abyss grants powers that screws with all types of magic equally.
        In fact, we have evidence that it does in the Hunter corebook; Banality Worms are Abyssal entities that counterspell everything supernatural. Chieron uses them as protection for elite employees.

So, it makes sense that Gospels can affect other supernatural "magic" as well-it's all dragonspawn to them.

Comment

I can't believe I forgot about the banality worm, especially since a pc in one of our Cheiron Chronicles (I've done at least 3, easily one of my favorite hunter groups) dumped so much xp on the little buddy. I was contemplating having gospels work on other supernaturals at -2 or something, not unlike what is suggested with the Cainite Heresy. However I was curious if any Awakening experts knew if the Abyss' interaction with other supernatural abilities beyond the Atlantean is ever discussed in the Mage line.

Comment

Something abyssal that is all about disrupting magic might very well work on other supernatural powers, like the banality worms, but there's nothing inherent in the Abyss that disrupts magic other than Supernal. The Goetic Gospels might work exclusively only on Supernal magic, on other types of magic but not as well, or equally on all type of magic. Those three possibilities are equally possible. Just run with what you think works best for the game.

Bloodline: The Stygians
            Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
            Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Working...
            X