X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruger
    replied
    Originally posted by Tessie View Post
    Yeah, at this point I have no idea if HtV 2e brings anything to hype at all. The only things in HtV 1e that hasn't already been included in CofD or is pure fluff (and thus still fully usable) would be the Endowments and the Tactics. And I don't like the Tactics. The two open dev posts we have had (i.e. Tactics, that I still don't like, and Integrity with a second system messily slapped on top) did nothing for me and didn't seem that well received by others either.
    I doubt the KS will be dead in the water due to a lack of hype, but right now I have no idea why I'd even bother with a second edition except for having mechanically updated Endowments.

Edit: I forgot about risking Willpower, but I think that says more about how interesting I find that. I suppose it might be reworked for second edition.
    It's weird. I should absolutely love Hunter as a game. It hits all the themes and is directly geared towards stories that I'd love to play or ST, but mechanically it's so uninteresting to me now that most of the good stuff is part of the CofD core book. I'd rather lift the Compacts, Conspiracies and Endowments, and just play blue book characters; and that's exactly what my group is already doing. We're using Supernatural Merits as stand ins for Endowments, and it works great. But by basically playing Hunter with 2e rules makes me wonder even more what the actual Hunter 2e could bring that we don't already have.

I'm not writing this to bash Hunter: The Vigil. I genuinely want to know if there is any reason for me to look forward to the Kickstarter other than for the updated Endowments.
    If just being fully usable was the goal, then there wouldn't be any point to a 2nd edition in the first place :V. Endowments, tactics, risking willpower, The Code, compacts, conspiracies...basically everything that differentiates Hunters from blue books kinda needs an update. They could introduce something new to fill in the holes Hunters lost too if they wanted (since everyone can get Career now, it really isn't much of an advantage). I'm not sure how much they want to mess with the core compacts and conspiracies either, but a bunch of them could use a lore update and refocus now that the CoD is fleshed out a bit more. It was always weird that the Catholic church was gun-ho about vampires and witches but had a firm "Meh" as a stance on demons, even with the lore given to justify it. "A Vampire is this house? Don't worry, we'll blow up the block to get to him if we have to. A literal demon is running amuck? Not my problem buddy, the Vatican doesn't want to be seen as terrorists you see."

While you can play a mortal who hunts monsters perfectly well with the blue book, it isn't like the Hunter books bring nothing to the table. I don't think there is anything in Hunter core book that couldn't use some kind of update.

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post

Maybe it's just that the game isn't getting a KS next week or something?
    I do not remember any preview or spoiler on HtV 2E in whole 2019 year. We had few previews at the end of 2018 one, so we even started forum game on those - but's that it. It's not 'we do not hype few weeks before KS'. It's much more 'we do not make any hype at all'.

Leave a comment:

• Heavy Arms
    replied
    Originally posted by LostLight View Post
    I mean, up until now, we had some involvement from the side of the developers/writers in the forums/social media/whatever before the Kickstarter to start and draw people's interest towards it, and the lack of it towards Hunter's Kickstarter somewhat disturbs me (again, why I asked if I have missed something).
    Maybe it's just that the game isn't getting a KS next week or something?

Cult of the Blood Gods is still going. Even if they did a fast turn around it's still a month out at the earliest; and there hasn't been an announcement other than "next." There doesn't seem to be a big reason to hold off too long, but hyping things too far ahead of time doesn't generally do much either.

Leave a comment:

• Tessie
    replied
    Yeah, at this point I have no idea if HtV 2e brings anything to hype at all. The only things in HtV 1e that hasn't already been included in CofD or is pure fluff (and thus still fully usable) would be the Endowments and the Tactics. And I don't like the Tactics. The two open dev posts we have had (i.e. Tactics, that I still don't like, and Integrity with a second system messily slapped on top) did nothing for me and didn't seem that well received by others either.
    I doubt the KS will be dead in the water due to a lack of hype, but right now I have no idea why I'd even bother with a second edition except for having mechanically updated Endowments.

Edit: I forgot about risking Willpower, but I think that says more about how interesting I find that. I suppose it might be reworked for second edition.
    It's weird. I should absolutely love Hunter as a game. It hits all the themes and is directly geared towards stories that I'd love to play or ST, but mechanically it's so uninteresting to me now that most of the good stuff is part of the CofD core book. I'd rather lift the Compacts, Conspiracies and Endowments, and just play blue book characters; and that's exactly what my group is already doing. We're using Supernatural Merits as stand ins for Endowments, and it works great. But by basically playing Hunter with 2e rules makes me wonder even more what the actual Hunter 2e could bring that we don't already have.

I'm not writing this to bash Hunter: The Vigil. I genuinely want to know if there is any reason for me to look forward to the Kickstarter other than for the updated Endowments.
    Last edited by Tessie; 12-28-2019, 10:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• LostLight
    replied
    Well, it is less about Open Development and such- the silence in the subject make me fear that there won't be a lot of "hype" towards the Kickstarter. I understand that different developers have different methods to make their products, and it is completely ok, but there seem that it has been awhile since we had any activity in the subject- no hushed spoilers or [REDACTED] or anything, which is very weird when the Kickstarter is around the corner. It feels like Hunter is going, more or less, under the radar, and I'm kinda afraid that not having a build up towards the Kickstarter would harm its performance.

I mean, up until now, we had some involvement from the side of the developers/writers in the forums/social media/whatever before the Kickstarter to start and draw people's interest towards it, and the lack of it towards Hunter's Kickstarter somewhat disturbs me (again, why I asked if I have missed something). I may have been traumatized by Mummy (where we didn't managed to complete the Player's Guide), but as Hunter is my favorite gameline, I feel very paranoid towards its Kickstarter :P

And yeah, I know that Mummy didn't suffered from any lack of "hype"- the team was very involved before the Kickstarter, just as with Geist, Deviant, the Contagion Chronicles, etc. That just makes it more weird that we don't see such involvement from Hunter's team.
    Last edited by LostLight; 12-28-2019, 08:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    We will see all those in KS campaign PDF preview, in the end. Other problem with this policy is that one month of KS is many times not enough to read preview - if you have particular hotter period of your life - not too mention rising concerns with product as it is in all areas, when you need to 'mule' information about topic for a few days. On the other hand, with KS preview Onyx Path has largest number of beta testers of products it can get before proper premier of book.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 12-28-2019, 01:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Heavy Arms
    replied
    Onyx Path has, in general, cut down on a lot of that stuff to save it more closer to the KS. Less of the current devs seem as interested in open development, and given some of the massive changes that have happened before books got to their KS (with a lot of consternation from fans that liked the older things more), it seems sensible to cut back on these things.

Leave a comment:

• LostLight
    replied
    I must say that I find it weird that if Hunter is going up next as a Kickstarter, that there has been awhile since (as far as I'm aware) there was any update about Hunter 2e. I mean, the last big thing we have seen was from the Contagion Chronicles, where we have seen a glimpse of the new Compact and Conspiracy, and discovered that the AKD got cut. Anything other than that- like whether Endowments are going to follow the Conditions like format that was in the playtest, or any hints about the changes in setting for any organization or anything, was more or less kept silent for awhile. Perhaps something was mentioned in a podcast or a blog or something? I usually don't follow those.

Leave a comment:

• Second Chances
    replied
    It moved into Post-Editing Development in today's MMN!

Leave a comment:

• Archivist
    replied
    Super excited about it. My favorite way to interact with Chronicles of Darkness (weird horror) as mortals with cool powers.

Leave a comment:

• Second Chances
    replied
    Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
    *looks around*

A'ight, might as well bring this up...

OPP is having their Reddit AMA right now. And one of the things revealed is that the Hunter 2e KS will launch...after the V5 Cults of the Blood Gods KS, which is the next one after the Mummy 2e KS wraps!
    I'll just note that Rich said that's the plan... so it is tentative. But yes, that is excellent news!

Leave a comment:

• LostLight
    replied
    Awesome! I should start saving my money for it. I really hope that 2e will be awesome, even though I'm sad that the AKD has apparently lost their position. Still hope that we'll see the promised short writeup for every Hunter organization!

Leave a comment:

• tasti man LH
    replied
    *looks around*

A'ight, might as well bring this up...

OPP is having their Reddit AMA right now. And one of the things revealed is that the Hunter 2e KS will launch...after the V5 Cults of the Blood Gods KS, which is the next one after the Mummy 2e KS wraps!

Leave a comment:

• Robert D
    replied
    Originally posted by Lukkychukky View Post
    Hahaha! We have to do something about Bob! That killed me!

Anyone else saving their Christmas money in order to be better prepared for this KS?
    That would include me lol saving my cash for HtV2e

Leave a comment:

• Lukkychukky
    replied
    Hahaha! We have to do something about Bob! That killed me!

Anyone else saving their Christmas money in order to be better prepared for this KS?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X