X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mangaholic13
    started a topic Advice on making Endowments

Advice on making Endowments

So yeah, I'm looking for advice regarding Endowment creation, this pertains not only to my Dream Healer conspiracy but also to a few other ideas for Conspiracies I've had and I wanted suggestion on not just making them but ensuring they're balanced.

Anybody got some wisdom to share?

• Mangaholic13
    replied
    Originally posted by Cinder View Post
    Don't mention it. If you could use some criticism or even just somebody to talk at while you brainstorm specific Endowments, feel free to tag or PM me. I tend to keep out other people's fanmade threads and just lurk, throwing likes here and there, but that's just because I'm always wary of speaking in a workshop that's not mine. Kinda afraid of being a bother or ruining somebody's else fun, but I'm available anytime.
    Okay Cinder, I think I will

Leave a comment:

• Cinder
    replied
    Originally posted by Mangaholic13 View Post

Thanks for the advice Cinder, that's a big help with some of my troubles.
    Don't mention it. If you could use some criticism or even just somebody to talk at while you brainstorm specific Endowments, feel free to tag or PM me. I tend to keep of out other people's fanmade threads and just lurk, throwing likes here and there, but that's just because I'm always wary of speaking in a workshop that's not mine. Kinda afraid of being a bother or ruining somebody's else fun, but I'm available anytime.
    Last edited by Cinder; 04-06-2018, 09:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mangaholic13
    replied
    Originally posted by Cinder View Post
    I've always found useful to picture in my mind how an actual Hunter would activate the Endowment in order to come up with the core mechanics. Of the three that exist in my mind bubble right now, I have amulets with spirits inside that grant small passive bonuses or can be used to do something big but would deny the Endowment for the rest of the chapter (you free the spirit, but then it roams free for a while before magic calls it back). inscribed bones of Beasts and Heroes that require minimum Attributes to work (if you're not strong enough to play with monsters and monster slayers, they don't let you use their toys) and ectoplasmic powers that sap Willpower and cause Conditions to make spooky effects (you pay with your body and mind to do as the dead do)

A suggestion someone once gave me and that's worth remembering is: what keeps everyone from using the Endowment? If the access to it is easy, it loses quite a bit of narrative importance. It might be as simple as it being hard to acquire, but occult initiation, training regimes, arcane bloodlines and rituals are classics that always work.

If you manage to work out the nature of the Endowment and connect it to the Conspiracy's history, it's never a bad thing. Gives personality.

And, I think's the last thing, I personally have a predilection for Endowments that take a toll on the Hunter or have some sort of drawbacks. It's personal taste, but I believe that cool powers without having to pay a price fits the themes of taking up the Vigil. Sure, some of the canonical big ones don't have much of a drawback, so I clearly am just speaking for myself. It's me and my passion for hurting heroes and protagonists, but still.
    Thanks for the advice Cinder, that's a big help with some of my troubles.

Leave a comment:

• Cinder
    replied
    I've always found useful to picture in my mind how an actual Hunter would activate the Endowment in order to come up with the core mechanics. Of the three that exist in my mind bubble right now, I have amulets with spirits inside that grant small passive bonuses or can be used to do something big but would deny the Endowment for the rest of the chapter (you free the spirit, but then it roams free for a while before magic calls it back). inscribed bones of Beasts and Heroes that require minimum Attributes to work (if you're not strong enough to play with monsters and monster slayers, they don't let you use their toys) and ectoplasmic powers that sap Willpower and cause Conditions to make spooky effects (you pay with your body and mind to do as the dead do)

A suggestion someone once gave me and that's worth remembering is: what keeps everyone from using the Endowment? If the access to it is easy, it loses quite a bit of narrative importance. It might be as simple as it being hard to acquire, but occult initiation, training regimes, arcane bloodlines and rituals are classics that always work.

If you manage to work out the nature of the Endowment and connect it to the Conspiracy's history, it's never a bad thing. Gives personality.

And, I think's the last thing, I personally have a predilection for Endowments that take a toll on the Hunter or have some sort of drawbacks. It's personal taste, but I believe that cool powers without having to pay a price does not fit the themes of taking up the Vigil. Sure, some of the canonical big ones don't have much of a drawback, so I clearly am just speaking for myself. It's me and my passion for hurting heroes and protagonists, but still.
    Last edited by Cinder; 04-06-2018, 09:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mangaholic13
    replied
    Well, most of those other conspiracies I mentioned are kind of bare bones, but here they are:

​The Dream Healers you can find out more on in the link.

​A law firm who invoke magical pacts to force monsters to follow human laws.

​A cult to use mystical lanterns and their own fears to animate their shadows.

​And, a group of shamans, spiritualists, and psychics who bind spirits into weapons they use to hunt evil spirits.

​I also have some compacts with potential endowments for if someone wants to use them as a conspiracy.

Leave a comment:

• adonus
    replied
    More information would help. For instance, what is the theme/conspiracy of the endowment? Can it be learned outside of the Conspiracy? Does the source of the power matter to you or your players?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X