Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to distinguish a potential Endowment from Thaumatechnology, little help?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Trying to distinguish a potential Endowment from Thaumatechnology, little help?

    Basically, for a Conspiracy I may be making in the future, I've decided to refer to Feng Shui's Arcanowave technology, cloned flesh grown from captured demons and enslaved spirits used as occult cybernetics and various types of gadgetry. Problem is, abusing it, or trying to use it to its full potential without its normal drawbacks, causes the dim sentience inside it to gradually turn its users into ideal talents for it - which, given how it's made of monsters, is other monsters. Arcanowave addicts are biologically indistinguishable from the legions of the Underworld, and often have similar powers and weaknesses.

    All well and good, especially for the dark side of a Conspiracy that draws inspiration from the Architects of the Flesh that made the stuff (or more accurately, the Buro they back; bring order and peace to the world, no matter the cost - even our own humanity is negotiable in the face of greater harmony with our gear), but then I remembered something; Cheiron continues to exist, and monstrous biotech is also their thing.

    So, while I think the idea is pretty distinct (Not-Arcanowave is custom-made rather than torn out of monsters, and isn't necessarily implants; could easily be biological quantum computers or vehicles that bind mentally with their pilots), I was thinking, does the board have any idea on how to make these guys not that similar to Cheiron? (BTW, the Conspiracy-I'm-Planning's big internal thematic is post-cyberpunk and the use of technology to fix social problems through transhumanism, though not necessarily that well.)



  • #2
    Modular Tech. The Devices have some defined effect, but it varies upon the Installed ephemeral entity. And/Or entities of the same nature enhance powers (but increase vulnerability/Manifestation Conditions). Or, I'm rambling with overly complicated ideas.

    OR, since you said Feng Shui (I kno, the game, not the concept, but still), how about they leverage Resonance to channel/strength Spirits, they use Tech to harness and/or trap the Spirits for power. Relies upon preparing the area first, but once they get going they can do all kinds of crazy things.

    [Both concepts leverage using Ephermals, over material monsters]
    Last edited by Vent0; 04-10-2018, 07:29 PM.


    Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
      Modular Tech. The Devices have some defined effect, but it varies upon the Installed ephemeral entity. And/Or entities of the same nature enhance powers (but increase vulnerability/Manifestation Conditions). Or, I'm rambling with overly complicated ideas.

      OR, since you said Feng Shui (I kno, the game, not the concept, but still), how about they leverage Resonance to channel/strength Spirits, they use Tech to harness and/or trap the Spirits for power. Relies upon preparing the area first, but once they get going they can do all kinds of crazy things.

      [Both concepts leverage using Ephermals, over material monsters]

      First type sounds great. Given who and what the semi-hidden backer is, learning modularity based on what's thrown into the devices works great. Ghost, spirit, or goetic bonuses depending on power added sounds like something he'd stumble on to in his quest for Synchronicity.

      To go a bit tropey, here, ghost-enhancement sounds like it should be the Thief, goetia the Mage, spirit the Fighter; first makes you stealthy and more mobile, second allows mental tricks and inducing Tilts, third raw elemental fury and combat capabilities.


      Comment


      • #4
        Don't run away from its origin as transplants and technology utilizing harvested ephemera. Run towards it, and characterize it by its drawbacks. Thaumatech has gross physical side effects. Esobiotics have mental and spiritual side effects. They tend to be internal or easily concealed, moreso than thaumatech, but they change who you are and how you think, moreso when you overrely on them. Endowments that give you spirit bans. Endowments that make your body start to require exposure to Resonance or even Infrastructure. Endowments that give you weird Integrity breaking points. Endowments that have to be fed.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Leliel View Post
          (BTW, the Conspiracy-I'm-Planning's big internal thematic is post-cyberpunk and the use of technology to fix social problems through transhumanism, though not necessarily that well.)
          I think you've already done it. Cheiron's use of monster implants is a side-project - their goal is medical treatments. They might be interested in human augmentation down the line, but its not their focus (and they don't really regard thaumotech as augmentation). A conspiracy whose goal is augmentation from the get-go, especially with societal goals for it, is already as distinct enough from Cheiron.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Stupid Loserman View Post
            Don't run away from its origin as transplants and technology utilizing harvested ephemera. Run towards it, and characterize it by its drawbacks. Thaumatech has gross physical side effects. Esobiotics have mental and spiritual side effects. They tend to be internal or easily concealed, moreso than thaumatech, but they change who you are and how you think, moreso when you overrely on them. Endowments that give you spirit bans. Endowments that make your body start to require exposure to Resonance or even Infrastructure. Endowments that give you weird Integrity breaking points. Endowments that have to be fed.

            Hmm. I'll start with a prototype I can make in a few minutes

            Gravimetry-Alteration Beam Focus (Suckerlight) ***

            One of the most notorious hallmarks of the [Gestalt] is these tiny little devices, which look like (quite deliberately) large-model flashlights when at rest. If the hunter needs to see worth crap, they are also that, but in truth the beam is, like the laser sight on a sniper rifle, ultimately an aid to help in targeting the real function; a mental command from the owner's I/O jack will awaken the Core of the suckerlight, causing it to extend four bio-mechanical arms that assemble into a complex aperture, not unlike an abstract wire sculpture, over the main flashlight, and from within conjure a strange, rippling shape. This shape is in fact a matrix of gravitons, the elementary particle of gravity itself, and the source of the suckerlight's nickname; it can create a beam of altered gravity in front of it as a multi-purpose, reusable and nigh-unbreakable tether, for use as climbing aide or nonlethal capture of enemies via yanking them into what is hopefully a disadvantageous position. It's great for silently vacumning your house at low volume, too. [Insert rules about how to use the "tether" here.]

            Spirit Core: The tether is roiling and unstable, like a writing snake. It constricts like one too. [This is how you can grapple enemies from a distance and push them into walls.]

            Ghost Core: The tether is placid, but extremely difficult to disrupt. This ironically makes it more flexible, as it isn't prone to flickering. [Can walk on walls by pointing the suckerlight down, but not very fast.]

            Dream Core: The aperture develops "controls" its owner can manipulate, and only them; it is, after all, born from how they individually think controls should work. [Can alter beam to be wide-angle or more focused to be stronger.]

            Drawback: The suckerlight is many things, but its core goal is that of gravity; to accumulate. [Bans and Banes born from a suckerlight user being corrupted revolve around hording and confinement.]


            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Leliel View Post
              Hmm. I'll start with a prototype I can make in a few minutes
              I'm going to reiterate what I said - that absolutely feels different from thaumotech.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Leliel View Post
                Drawback: The suckerlight is many things, but its core goal is that of gravity; to accumulate. [Bans and Banes born from a suckerlight user being corrupted revolve around hording and confinement.]
                So, is the corruption here narrative/metaphorical, or is there a Mechanical component? Low Integrity? Condition risk? Trigger-able consequence (like break glass gain "Corruption" to trigger extra effect)?


                Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

                  So, is the corruption here narrative/metaphorical, or is there a Mechanical component? Low Integrity? Condition risk? Trigger-able consequence (like break glass gain "Corruption" to trigger extra effect)?
                  Condition risk; it's the Corruption effect mentioned to gain the "ephemeral type" bonus, but a roll of Integrity minus Corruption score at the end of a scene in which it was used to avoid the device's soul from imprinting its desires on you in the form of a Ban Condition.


                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Do you have any more examples? What about a straight-forward weapon (melee or ranged)? Or an defensive device?


                    Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                      Do you have any more examples? What about a straight-forward weapon (melee or ranged)? Or an defensive device?
                      Hmm. Allow me to present, my ripoff of the Helix Ripper:

                      Protein Denaturation Focus (Disintegrator Pistol) **

                      The [Gestalt] is notorious for overly technical language that simultaneously explains and confuses everything that Theurmelia in question does, and this deceptively small orb, attached to the palm of the hunter's hand (usually right over an I/O port) is a perfect example. To put it in blunt terms as possible, it is specialized for precision targeting taken to its logical extreme; it strikes at the very amino acids that compose organic cells, effectively causing the cell in question to at least become non functional, if not outright dissolve. Ironically, it's meant for ending a conflict with minimum causality or property damage; while basic armor defends against the Pistol well enough (matter disrupts the exotic energy it uses), it will not leave any blatant marks on its victims (only a spreading bruise and lots of pain), and does not damage inorganic matter at all, let alone leave traceable evidence from spent ammunition. The Disintegrator Pistol functions as a Heavy Revolver withou a Strength requirement with its user's Resolve + Composure in ammo capacity. Normally it exists in an inactive state, but the hunter spending a Willpower point "charges" the Pistol, filling its ammo in the process, and another Willpower point may be spent to reload it. Besides its untraceable nature, the small size and easy aim of the Pistol (no trigger discipline or brace for recoil needed, you just hold out your palm and shoot), it also negates up to a -2 penalty to any Aimed Shot, allowing hunters to inflict Tilts shut as Arm Wrack with relative ease (as it turns out, having cells dissolved is interpreted by the nerves as incredible pain, showing the human body is actually rather perceptive). It automatically deactivates at the end of a scene.

                      Spirit Core: The vital energy of the spirit powering the orb means the hunter doesn't need to supply her own will. The pistol has unlimited ammo while active.

                      Ghost Core: The frustration and rage of the ghost inside the Pistol gives the energy a malevolent will that powers through any obstacle. The hunter's shots ignore Armor.

                      Dream Core: The liminal state of being the Core exists in allows the Pistol to forget whether it can affect inanimate objects or not, instead targeting molecular arrangement. The hunter can shoot inanimate objects, ignoring Durability, but the Pistol can only hit inorganic matter or organic targets with each individual shot, and the damage left on inorganic targets is distinctly "melted" from losing internal consistenct.

                      Drawback: Anyone who tells you a gun is anything other than a tool of destruction is telling themselves that more than you. The ephemeral beings in Disintegrator Pistols are violent, raging things, and the Bans they leave implore the hunters to be likewise easily provoked and destructive in some ways. Their Banes are generally symbols of peace, or wards against evil magic found in many cultures (like crosses or hex symbols).
                      Last edited by Leliel; 06-05-2018, 07:37 PM.


                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Leliel View Post

                        Hmm. Allow me to present, my ripoff of the Helix Ripper:

                        Protein Denaturation Focus (Disintegrator Pistol) **

                        The [Gestalt] is notorious for overly technical language that simultaneously explains and confuses everything that Theurmelia in question does, and this deceptively small orb, attached to the palm of the hunter's hand (usually right over an I/O port) is a perfect example. To put it in blunt terms as possible, it is specialized for precision targeting taken to its logical extreme; it strikes at the very amino acids that compose organic cells, effectively causing the cell in question to at least become non functional, if not outright dissolve. Ironically, it's meant for ending a conflict with minimum causality or property damage; while basic armor defends against the Pistol well enough (matter disrupts the exotic energy it uses), it will not leave any blatant marks on its victims (only a spreading bruise and lots of pain), and does not damage inorganic matter at all, let alone leave traceable evidence from spent ammunition. The Disintegrator Pistol functions as a Small Revolver with its user's Resolve + Composure in ammo capacity. Normally it exists in an inactive state, but the hunter spending a Willpower point "charges" the Pistol, filling its ammo in the process, and another Willpower point may be spent to reload it. Besides its untraceable nature, the small size and easy aim of the Pistol (no trigger discipline or brace for recoil needed, you just hold out your palm and shoot), it also negates up to a -2 penalty to any Aimed Shot, allowing hunters to inflict Tilts shut as Arm Wrack with relative ease (as it turns out, having cells dissolved is interpreted by the nerves as incredible pain, showing the human body is actually rather perceptive). It automatically deactivates at the end of a scene.

                        Spirit Core: The vital energy of the spirit powering the orb means the hunter has more bang for her buck. The ammo capacity of the Pistol is twice her Resolve + Composure.

                        Ghost Core: The frustration and rage of the ghost inside the Pistol gives the energy a malevolent will that powers through any obstacle. The hunter's shots ignore Armor.

                        Dream Core: The liminal state of being the Core exists in allows the Pistol to forget whether it can affect inanimate objects or not, instead targeting molecular arrangement. The hunter can shoot inanimate objects, ignoring Durability, but the Pistol can only hit inorganic matter or organic targets with each individual shot, and the damage left on inorganic targets is distinctly "melted" from losing internal consistenct.

                        Drawback: Anyone who tells you a gun is anything other than a tool of destruction is telling themselves that more than you. The ephemeral beings in Disintegrator Pistols are violent, raging things, and the Bans they leave implore the hunters to be likewise easily provoked and destructive in some ways. Their Banes are generally symbols of peace, or wards against evil magic found in many cultures (like crosses or hex symbols).
                        Nice. (What is the damage rating on a Small Revolver again?) For Spirit, double capacity seems a bit weak compared to ignoring armor, or disintegrating objects. Maybe unlimited capacity, bonus damage, dice tricks, or Tilts?


                        Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                        Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

                          Nice. (What is the damage rating on a Small Revolver again?) For Spirit, double capacity seems a bit weak compared to ignoring armor, or disintegrating objects. Maybe unlimited capacity, bonus damage, dice tricks, or Tilts?
                          Point. Buffed it, and noticed the small revolver is 1L. That seems a bit weak, so it's now a Heavy Revolver.


                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Might be out of scope, but a nice "5 dot" piece of tech might be a "power armor" like suit - filled with/made of Ephemeral. Mechanically, it could grant stat-boosts similar to Claiming. But, yeah, be careful of the side effects.

                            How does Corruption work, mechanically? The roll is Integrity - Corruption, but how does Corruption accumulate? Once per use? Number of "Cores" of the same type used each Scene? Is it set per Device? Triggered on rolling a Failure with the Device?


                            Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                            Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Normally it exists in an inactive state, but the hunter spending a Willpower point "charges" the Pistol, filling its ammo in the process, and another Willpower point may be spent to reload it. Besides its untraceable nature, the small size and easy aim of the Pistol (no trigger discipline or brace for recoil needed, you just hold out your palm and shoot), it also make negates up to a -2 penalty to any Aimed Shot

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X