Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Divided We Fell - A Dystopian Dark Era (Dark Future? Dark Mirror?)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divided We Fell - A Dystopian Dark Era (Dark Future? Dark Mirror?)

((I've been started running an X-Com 2 inspired guerrilla resistance style Hunter game and thought I'd do a bit of a write up of the setting in a Dark Eras style just to get all my thoughts together. Since I was writing it all out anyways I figured I might as well share it.))

August 17
    th 2016, a dome of pure darkness was conjured over the city of Toronto, Canada. In addition to blocking out the sun it cut the city off from the rest of the world. No electronic signal could bypass the dome. How this happened is unknown as the city's Prince, generally assumed to be the one responsible barely lived another twenty-four hours as the local Uratha packs, Changeling Freehold and assorted Hunters all declared open war upon him and every other vampire in the city. It was a short but bloody conflict.

This would have been all well and good had the dome faded with it's creator. The Uratha and Lost would have gone back into the shadows, the Hunters would pursue them and the mortals caught in the middle would have found some way to rationalize the whole thing away. Unfortunately the dome did not disappear, it remained, shrouding the city in eternal darkness.

Such a brazen display of magic could not be ignored. If the monsters in the shadows could blot an entire city off the map the nations of the world could not sit idly by and let them play their shadowy games anymore. Nor could the supernatural powers keep their unspoken trusts in one another to keep things quiet. What followed was a terrible decade long war as the various factions of monsters and hunters forced one another into the light and open conflict.

Some mortals were protected by monsters with an interest in the status quo; a demon purchased Jeff Bezos's soul and used his considerable resources to secure San Fransisco as his own personal Hell.

Other's took up arms against the monsters themselves in defiance; The Night's Watch and The Union organized near every man, woman and child in Philly and held the city for five years before they were betrayed by one of their own number.

Some conspiracies used the chaos to take power for themselves; Milan pledged it's loyalty to the Lady Lucifuge who in return called all her warriors home to be it's defenders.

Some monsters followed suit; the Vatican elected a controversial new Pope, the late Ambrogio Baudolino, now a fully embraced member of the Lancea Sanctum and head of the church's no longer secret army.

Hunters clashed with one another as often as they did with monsters, after all those other conspiracies had supernatural abilities, how could they be trusted?

In 2027 the monsters managed to make peace with one another where the Hunters could not. Representatives from many Covenants, Packs, Traditions, Freeholds, Agencies, Cults and other stranger beings came together in the darkened remains of Toronto and signed a treaty, dividing up the world between them. Thus was born the Camarilla* coalition. Their combined powers let them easily defeat the world's Hunters.

Over the next ten years humanity was crushed under the heels of their new supernatural masters. In Vampire domains travel by daylight is a privilege reserved only for the most trusted of Ghoul servants. In Werewolf domains humans can be hunted for sport for violating any number of spirit laws they are barred from ever learning. Mages are less likely to murder their subjects but do put them through pressing trials in hopes of spurring awakening.

Still as long as humanity survives so to does the Vigil. The remnants of many compacts and conspiracies are still out there, hidden from the Camarilla*. They have begun to make contact with one another and have begun sharing intel as they prepare the strike back against the Camarilla* once more. Only Time will tell if they can put their differences behind them for the good of humanity this time.

*Camarilla is a place holder name that honestly I'm not too fond of and want to replace with something with less setting and meta baggage.

((Next time I'll do a write up on Themes and Inspirations))

Originally posted by Darkblade View Post
    ((I've been started running an X-Com 2 inspired guerrilla resistance style Hunter game and thought I'd do a bit of a write up of the setting in a Dark Eras style just to get all my thoughts together. Since I was writing it all out anyways I figured I might as well share it.))

August 17
    th 2016, a dome of pure darkness was conjured over the city of Toronto, Canada. In addition to blocking out the sun it cut the city off from the rest of the world. No electronic signal could bypass the dome. How this happened is unknown as the city's Prince, generally assumed to be the one responsible barely lived another twenty-four hours as the local Uratha packs, Changeling Freehold and assorted Hunters all declared open war upon him and every other vampire in the city. It was a short but bloody conflict.

This would have been all well and good had the dome faded with it's creator. The Uratha and Lost would have gone back into the shadows, the Hunters would pursue them and the mortals caught in the middle would have found some way to rationalize the whole thing away. Unfortunately the dome did not disappear, it remained, shrouding the city in eternal darkness.

Such a brazen display of magic could not be ignored. If the monsters in the shadows could blot an entire city off the map the nations of the world could not sit idly by and let them play their shadowy games anymore. Nor could the supernatural powers keep their unspoken trusts in one another to keep things quiet. What followed was a terrible decade long war as the various factions of monsters and hunters forced one another into the light and open conflict.

Some mortals were protected by monsters with an interest in the status quo; a demon purchased Jeff Bezos's soul and used his considerable resources to secure San Fransisco as his own personal Hell.

Other's took up arms against the monsters themselves in defiance; The Night's Watch and The Union organized near every man, woman and child in Philly and held the city for five years before they were betrayed by one of their own number.

Some conspiracies used the chaos to take power for themselves; Milan pledged it's loyalty to the Lady Lucifuge who in return called all her warriors home to be it's defenders.

Some monsters followed suit; the Vatican elected a controversial new Pope, the late Ambrogio Baudolino, now a fully embraced member of the Lancea Sanctum and head of the church's no longer secret army.

Hunters clashed with one another as often as they did with monsters, after all those other conspiracies had supernatural abilities, how could they be trusted?

In 2027 the monsters managed to make peace with one another where the Hunters could not. Representatives from many Covenants, Packs, Traditions, Freeholds, Agencies, Cults and other stranger beings came together in the darkened remains of Toronto and signed a treaty, dividing up the world between them. Thus was born the Camarilla* coalition. Their combined powers let them easily defeat the world's Hunters.

Over the next ten years humanity was crushed under the heels of their new supernatural masters. In Vampire domains travel by daylight is a privilege reserved only for the most trusted of Ghoul servants. In Werewolf domains humans can be hunted for sport for violating any number of spirit laws they are barred from ever learning. Mages are less likely to murder their subjects but do put them through pressing trials in hopes of spurring awakening.

Still as long as humanity survives so to does the Vigil. The remnants of many compacts and conspiracies are still out there, hidden from the Camarilla*. They have begun to make contact with one another and have begun sharing intel as they prepare the strike back against the Camarilla* once more. Only Time will tell if they can put their differences behind them for the good of humanity this time.

*Camarilla is a place holder name that honestly I'm not too fond of and want to replace with something with less setting and meta baggage.

((Next time I'll do a write up on Themes and Inspirations))

Okay this is interesting, are you going to continue it?

Comment

Holy crap that is an awesome setting!

Comment

Working...
      X