Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preview: Nests

http://theonyxpath.com/nests-hunter-the-vigil/

Looks pretty useful and cool, and not just for Hunter. Discuss.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD- Dark Eras 2; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

*looks at the Sentient paragraph*

...so Monster House?

Comment

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
      *looks at the Sentient paragraph*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEkeZhWbW7U"]...so Monster House?[/URL]
      I can’t wait for this. I love mysterious places, and the idea of Sentient places really appeals to me.

Jason Ross Inczauskis
      Freelance Writer
      Currently writing: Dark Eras 2, TC In Media Res
      Previous projects: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action (Alban, Beelzebub, Oxblood Mold, Whispering Oak); C20 Anthology of Dreams ("No Such Thing As Dragons")

Comment

Originally posted by White Oak Dragon View Post

I can’t wait for this. I love mysterious places, and the idea of Sentient places really appeals to me.
        Sentient House with a Beast's Lair inside sounds like it will be fun...

For the Storyteller.

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post

For the Storyteller.
          Bwahaha! I’m pretty much always the Storyteller, so that suits me just fine!

Jason Ross Inczauskis
          Freelance Writer
          Currently writing: Dark Eras 2, TC In Media Res
          Previous projects: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action (Alban, Beelzebub, Oxblood Mold, Whispering Oak); C20 Anthology of Dreams ("No Such Thing As Dragons")

Comment

For the Storyteller.
            Probably not even the PC Beasts.

People can be so snobbish about how awesome their crib is. Especially to less successful siblings they dislike.

Comment

Originally posted by Leliel View Post

Probably not even the PC Beasts.

People can be so snobbish about how awesome their crib is. Especially to less successful siblings they dislike.
              On the other hand, it could be a good source of family dinner and kinship nightmares, but I digress...

Comment

Actually, here's a fun game:

Think of what your supernatural characters would like in a Nest!

My own Goblin Queen Taoist Ogre would prefer an environ that allows him to meditate and his hobgoblin disciples, but immediately becomes a deathtrap the instant he senses someone trying to take advantage of his downtime. Ergo:

The Gutter Sage's Beachhead:

Tainted Nest (Otherworld Nexus, Quiet, Unstable)

Otherworld Nexus: The master of this Nest is an extradimensional entity or otherwise fascinated with the interplay of worlds beyond mortal experience. Either way, it's turned its home into the ideal staging ground for exploring places beyond the veil, and understands how it works a lot better than the hunters. Roll Perception at a penalty equal to the master's Potency or -5, whichever is less, whenever the hunter explores a new room or rushes into an area recklessly (running from the enraged tenant, for instance). Failure indicates the hunter accidentally activates a portal to an otherworldly portion of the Nest and gets the Lost Condition as her sense of direction does not function in the eldritch space she finds herself in. Other hunters may follow her, voluntarily taking the Condition themselves to avoid being separated. Resolving this Condition will allow the hunter to return to the main part of the Nest in a random spot, and by mapping the extradimensional portion to the Nest (an extended Intelligence + Occult action, 20 minutes per roll with a target of the master's Potency) will allow the hunter to take advantage of the space, allowing her to enter it without becoming Lost and re-enter the physical Nest at her chosen point. Naturally, the Nest's master can dip in and out of the otherworldly portion easily, with the expenditure of a Willpower point.

Quiet: Too quiet. So quiet, that the monster notices when someone's disturbing its Nest. All Stealth rolls are at a -3 penalty.

Comment

Looks like another problem for Hunters that can be solved with large amounts of fire.

Comment

It sounds like the whole chapter would be helpful for designing Lairs - as well as the unnatural places Beasts investigated - and complications for a werewolf pack's territory - and inspiration for designing havens and such.

Comment

I haven't been terribly interested in playing H:TV before now, but I've been reading the previews anyway and this one might just be moving it towards my to-play list. It really gives off that early-Supernatural feel of investigating a strange being or happening that you initially know precious little about until you feel confident enough in your hard-found advantages to finally face it down.
                      Last edited by Sith_Happens; 05-16-2018, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruger View Post
                        Looks like another problem for Hunters that can be solved with large amounts of fire.

well that's not out of character
                        (and leads nicely into developing more mundane problems)

Didn't anyone ever tell you not to bring claws to a gun fight?

Comment

Working...
                        X