Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Developing conspiracies and compacts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Developing conspiracies and compacts

    In each of your opinions, what factions do you think should be developed in lore, gameplay, or both

  • #2
    You mean, which existing hunter groups needs more fleshing out, or ideas for new organizations?


    My Homebrew Signature

    "And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

    I now blog in here

    Comment


    • #3
      Yes LostLight. Also sorry for not responding way earlier, had a camp thing

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
        Yes
        Yes to which?


        Comment


        • #5
          The first one, my bad Michael.

          Comment


          • #6
            I think that the Heritage House should be at the top of the list, as what we have about them is kinda basic and blend IMO. The Scarlet Watch as a modern/past conspiracy version is something I would find really interesting, as I really like the group. The Ahl al Jabal could use a more in depth writeup, even though their current version is not bad or lacking in some critical way. Among the conspiracies, the Cainte Heresy and the Faithful of Shulpae are ones I would like to see expanded, as I've never felt the urge to play them, even though that they are interesting by themselves. While I personally like most of Witch Finder's organizations, there are many who don't so a certain expansion could be useful for them. While all current compacts and conspiracies would definitely benefit greatly from a C&C like development and expansion, the Heritage House would still be number one in the need for such revision, IMO.


            My Homebrew Signature

            "And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

            I now blog in here

            Comment


            • #7
              I think the Loyalists of Thule could use some updating. You have some nice anchors but the guilt motivation seems like it would only fit a very small niche of characters.

              With the addition of the Faithful of Shulpae, the Promethean Brotherhood seems a bit underwhelming. Like if you were a member of the Brotherhood, it seems likely it's because you didn't know the Faithful of Shulpae existed, and if the Faithful wanted to convert they could just point out that they do what the Brotherhood does, but better.

              Comment


              • #8
                A “when they go bad” part for each group sounds nice. Especially in light of how hunters can become slashers on their Vigil. (Or did I miss existing ones?)


                MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
                  A “when they go bad” part for each group sounds nice. Especially in light of how hunters can become slashers on their Vigil. (Or did I miss existing ones?)
                  I think there is some about the more extreme elements of their compacts or conspiracies, but the non-core groups tend to either be 'they're good people, really' or 'they're mistaken/evil, really.'

                  I'd guess 'hunters gone bad' will be showcased more prominently in second edition. I always liked Mouse in the core for that, she wasn't a slasher as much as she was just overbearing and cocky. Wonder if there will be more like her, the edge cases or folks who are bad for the Vigil for other reasons.
                  Last edited by nofather; 06-18-2018, 04:02 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by nofather View Post
                    With the addition of the Faithful of Shulpae, the Promethean Brotherhood seems a bit underwhelming. Like if you were a member of the Brotherhood, it seems likely it's because you didn't know the Faithful of Shulpae existed, and if the Faithful wanted to convert they could just point out that they do what the Brotherhood does, but better.
                    except of the fact that, well, the Faithful eat their victims for power

                    (now, I'm not saying that the Firestealers are good people, and I do assume that some would be deranged enough to practice the rites of the Faithful upon witches, and that the Faithful claim that eating monsters is not cannibalism, I assume that the majority of the Brotherhood would say "hey, I may kill people- but I'm not a freaking cannibal". It is not to say that they won't be happy to study and try to advance their Rite of Hecate using the knowledge of the Faithful's practices, but even evil has its standards, after all)


                    My Homebrew Signature

                    "And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

                    I now blog in here

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      What you can tell me about the Etemenaki,Lost?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by LostLight View Post
                        except of the fact that, well, the Faithful eat their victims for power
                        The Rite of Hecate is a rite of human sacrifice. Sure they're different acts, but from there on the Rite of Hecate is crap in comparison.

                        The rite is fallible, and failures can cause Bashing or Lethal Damage dependent on the target's Gnosis, but enough to kill you. You can only use it on witches (if you want to include mages, we've already had threads about the futility of hunters fighting mages), and the powers are temporary, lasting from between one day and five weeks.

                        The Faithful of Shulpae expands this to all monsters, so you don't even have to target humanoid things (so it doesn't have to be cannibalism, so if your character is about 'standards' then they still have more leeway), there is no chance of failure, you just eat a certain amount of pounds of meat from the monster. Spend a point of Willpower, and the Dread Powers are in you forever, or until you decide to let them go to get new powers.

                        Both are about selfishly taking the power of others, along with their life, the Brotherhood's rite is just worse.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'd like more on the Loyalists, AKD, MM and TF:V; specifically how they actually work internally. The stuff we have seems very vague.


                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Ok some pretty good answers here. As for hecate, I think they could really just due with basically having a safe option of gaining power through mages, while the shulpae could deal with sanity issues, allies being creeped out by them, and being more naive

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by nofather View Post

                              The Rite of Hecate is a rite of human sacrifice. Sure they're different acts, but from there on the Rite of Hecate is crap in comparison.

                              The rite is fallible, and failures can cause Bashing or Lethal Damage dependent on the target's Gnosis, but enough to kill you. You can only use it on witches (if you want to include mages, we've already had threads about the futility of hunters fighting mages), and the powers are temporary, lasting from between one day and five weeks.

                              The Faithful of Shulpae expands this to all monsters, so you don't even have to target humanoid things (so it doesn't have to be cannibalism, so if your character is about 'standards' then they still have more leeway), there is no chance of failure, you just eat a certain amount of pounds of meat from the monster. Spend a point of Willpower, and the Dread Powers are in you forever, or until you decide to let them go to get new powers.

                              Both are about selfishly taking the power of others, along with their life, the Brotherhood's rite is just worse.
                              That is if you treat humans, and hunters, as rational people, who judge something purely by how beneficial it is to them, and have no twisted ideas for moral. I can clearly see why someone would claim that murdering witches for power is bad, but eating her would be worse, and as such it is better to have less stable power in exchange for not falling "too far" on the moral scale. It is not rational, it does not make sense on the paper- but humans do have the tendency to act irrationally in such cases. Eating monsters for power needs a certain type for personality, one which is different than just killing them in an occult ceremony.

                              Also, by that logic, both organizations should fold and be absorbed into the Hototogisu- there, you don't actually need to kill the monster to steal their power. But the Faithful won't do it because eating monsters is a part of their religion, and the Brotherhood won't do it because they have invested so much effort and interest in the Rite that they are quit obsessive over it, not to mention that what they search for is the "enlightenment"- that is, they gain Gnosis. Sure, it may not be equal to what the Faithful or the Hototogisu can do, but the Promethean Brotherhood has more than simple desire for occult power. Fleshing them out could help to enhance their emphasis about why to choose the Rite over the many other twisted ways to gain power in the CofD, but there are enough reasons to choose an inefficient method, if you are willing to include irrational motives.


                              My Homebrew Signature

                              "And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

                              I now blog in here

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X