Tooth and nail

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tooth and nail

I know the book is only like 4 dollars, but are all the hunter groups worth the read? Specifically the reckoning

THe only real answer is yes. Tooth and Nail was an excellent addition to both Hunter and Beast by extension, and all three of the groups have a lot of cool factor, whether you're looking for moral complexity or some neat takes on taking back the night.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
    Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Thanks arcane! What would you say is the most interesting edition the book brings

Comment

Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
        Thanks arcane! What would you say is the most interesting edition the book brings
        I'll try and answer more in full at lunch, but as two quick things, Merrick Institute and Yuri's Group.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)

Comment

Ok, and take your time too, i won't complain (plus I'm often a late replyer anyway)

Comment

Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post

Well, as a general rule, any outside look at the splats through the eyes of Hunters is usually my biggest point of interest, but a) I'll assume that might be a me thing, and b) a lot of that outside perspective was already offered by the extensive (and really shitty) discussion of the matter outside of the text. I mean, yeah, the text cuts out the shitty aspect of it, but, uh, if you were around for a lot of those conversations, you probably had a good understanding what hunters would think. Now if you weren't there, that perspective is still fascinating, and like I said, it's without a lot of ....toxicity that the forum discussions had.

That side, those conversations never did get into how specific compacts and conspiracies viewed them, and Filamena Young did a great job presenting some true perspectives that might not seem as obvious to the casual reader that help to diversify the way the way to look at Beasts, and makes both their experiences and hunters much more rich and nuanced, and that’s awesome.

That aside, for me the next most interesting things comes down to Yuri's Group and the Merrick Institute.

The Merrick Institute is great on the "take back the night" front because it’s simply and brilliantly a powerful chronicle basis on is’ own right and has a lot of powerful potential within it’s character base. You want to see those kids triumph and kick ass, but the cards are really stacked against them, so when they succeed at their tasks in real life, it’s honestly brilliantly hardcore, and seeing them get to let loose in dream/soulscapes is equally cathartic. Merrick’s kids are one of the coolest bunch of hutners out there, bar none.

Yuri’s Group, by contrast, is a great moral complexity argument, because on the one hand it’s hard to argue with what they are doing, but at the same time, that makes the small amount of what’s messed up about them not only stand out but forces some really hard admissions about how hunters are. Genuinely there for the victims of monsters but also helping the supernatural reconcile with their monstrous sides to be more human, they are legitimately the kindest and most morally grounded of hunters, but on the other hand, they callously exclude Beasts from their therapy (and mind you, they do have some good reasons for doing so, but they also critically fail for doing so regardless of those reasons), recklessly exacerbate the Heroic condition, and do also critically fail to ask if drawing closer to their humanity is actually the best answer for supernatural entities and tend to neglect their equally important monstrous sides(vampires are not humans, they are vampires and need answers that work for them as such). To see what we think of as humanity when we commonly appeal for it is really rewarding to see, and they are great for it, but it also reveals the limitations of such a singular perspective, a problem that hunters on the whole face.

And as a final thing, of course, the more hunter types we have, the more antagonists/story hooks we have for Beast, which is never a bad thing(really for any line).

So, yeah, I like it a lot. If you’re gonna get Mortal Remains, you might as well also pick up Tooth and Nail, and if you really like Beast, it’s still a worthwhile pick up.
            Last edited by ArcaneArts; 06-30-2018, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X