X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primordial newcomer
    started a topic Spirit slayer readers

Spirit slayer readers

A question. In the story for the story book witch hunt, man kills what I believe is a pure werewolf in one shot by a silver bullet to the mouth through the roof of it. Even being a pure werewolf (likely) is it possible to one shot one with these circumstances

Also will be reading tooth and nail afterwards. Thanks ArcaneArts

• nofather
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruger View Post
    Its a good thing that the Wolf was using a Brawl or Weaponry attack then wasn't it? It wasn't to give boost to him, it was to explain why the Wolf didn't get its defenses. Which is what I said.
    Yeah I read that wrong, I only skimmed your (detailed) post and I thought you had given the hunter All-Out Attack.

Leave a comment:

• Ruger
    replied
    Originally posted by nofather View Post
    Yeah the fiction often has things that would be hard to replicate reliably in a more rigorous mechanical setup, but it would be pretty lousy impetus for a game if every hunter story was, 'They went out tonight. Never found their remains.'

Said character doesn't seem to take aim (the attack happens really suddenly) and you can only make All Out Attacks with Brawl or Weaponry (there might be a Merit to allow Firearms though), but his bullet is blessed in the name of two Saints, which looks like it carried them through, along with a lot of luck. It's the type of roll that would be memorable in the number of successes (which, again, fits why it was memorable enough for the hunter to write it down and it to be kept in the records of the Loyalists of Thule ~500 years later), but just the other night someone was posting two ridiculous series of successes on Discord from two different characters (one seemed to be in response to the other) so these things happen. In first edition, which the fiction is in, werewolves didn't have the nice Defense boosters they do now (and debuffs to enemies).

It wouldn't be something you'd want to bet on, but as mentioned he wasn't exactly expecting it.
    Its a good thing that the Wolf was using a Brawl or Weaponry attack then wasn't it? It wasn't to give boost to him, it was to explain why the Wolf didn't get its defenses. Which is what I said. The aiming part was just me being silly, but the wolf not having its def applied is perfectly valid as far as game mechanics go.

If the question was "Is it reliable to one hit kill a werewolf in even combat", then the answer would be that it is implausible. But it is fairly likely in cases were the players or GM set it up so that it could happen. Since the question was "is it possible", the answer is a pretty clear yes. A reasonable 13 dice can kill the wolf in one hit a reasonable probability.

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    Yeah the fiction often has things that would be hard to replicate reliably in a more rigorous mechanical setup, but it would be pretty lousy impetus for a game if every hunter story was, 'They went out tonight. Never found their remains.'

Said character doesn't seem to take aim (the attack happens really suddenly) and you can only make All Out Attacks with Brawl or Weaponry (there might be a Merit to allow Firearms though), but his bullet is blessed in the name of two Saints, which looks like it carried them through, along with a lot of luck. It's the type of roll that would be memorable in the number of successes (which, again, fits why it was memorable enough for the hunter to write it down and it to be kept in the records of the Loyalists of Thule ~500 years later), but just the other night someone was posting two ridiculous series of successes on Discord from two different characters (one seemed to be in response to the other) so these things happen. In first edition, which the fiction is in, werewolves didn't have the nice Defense boosters they do now (and debuffs to enemies).

It wouldn't be something you'd want to bet on, but as mentioned he wasn't exactly expecting it.

Leave a comment:

• Ruger
    replied
    Originally posted by Malus View Post

Right, the Gauru right before him doesn't applies a defense. Convenient. Why don't you make it a killing blow? 16 aggy to the face then?
    From the description, he was clearly making an all-out attack ^_^.
    Besides, he was just a 1E mook werewolf.

Leave a comment:

• Malus
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruger View Post
    Books are always showing one shots that are not plausible :V.
    Spirit Slayers worked under the old rules, were you could get some silly damage if you knew the right power gaming techniques :P.

If you wanted to know if it was plausible under the current rules, lets take a look! It says he used a caliver, a light musket basically. I don't have any book with comparable damage, so lets place it at 3.

So lets say the very best guy has a baseline of 10 dice (5 from skill, 5 from dex). If he risks willpower (and he is a hunter so why not?), he gets +3 and 9 again from the Mortal remains book. Old gun, no autofire, with a potential +3 from aiming. It didn't say he didn't aim, so we can assume he did :P. Nothing indicates the wolf was behind cover or dodging, so with this setup we get a final tally of 16 dice +3 successes and 9 again. Using the above guy's math, some guy with base stamina needs 3 needs 12 agg to kill the monster. So here he would need 9 successes. With 16 dice 9 again, that is a 25.99% chance. So you would get your one hit kill about 1/4 times. If you take away the aiming and give him a 13 9 again, you have a 10.79% chance of instakill. So it isn't something that is crazy impossible.
    Right, the Gauru right before him doesn't applies a defense. Convenient. Why don't you make it a killing blow? 16 aggy to the face then?

Leave a comment:

• Primordial newcomer
    replied
    Wow, that was pretty good Ruger

Leave a comment:

• Ruger
    replied
    Books are always showing one shots that are not plausible :V.
    Spirit Slayers worked under the old rules, were you could get some silly damage if you knew the right power gaming techniques :P.

If you wanted to know if it was plausible under the current rules, lets take a look! It says he used a caliver, a light musket basically. I don't have any book with comparable damage, so lets place it at 3.

So lets say the very best guy has a baseline of 10 dice (5 from skill, 5 from dex). If he risks willpower (and he is a hunter so why not?), he gets +3 and 9 again from the Mortal remains book. Old gun, no autofire, with a potential +3 from aiming. It didn't say he didn't aim, so we can assume he did :P. Nothing indicates the wolf was behind cover or dodging, so with this setup we get a final tally of 16 dice +3 successes and 9 again. Using the above guy's math, some guy with base stamina needs 3 needs 12 agg to kill the monster. So here he would need 9 successes. With 16 dice 9 again, that is a 25.99% chance. So you would get your one hit kill about 1/4 times. If you take away the aiming and give him a 13 9 again, you have a 10.79% chance of instakill. So it isn't something that is crazy impossible.

Leave a comment:

• Primordial newcomer
    replied
    So basically you have to be extremely lucky, because I'm just asking from a story in the book, not actual gameplay

Leave a comment:

• Malus
    replied
    Assuming the weapon does 2 damage, on average you need like 10 successes to auto-kill a Gauru with base Stamina 3.

Leave a comment:

• Primordial newcomer
    replied
    Ahh, so while not certain, it is more than possible to kill on this way. Thanks Vent0

Leave a comment:

• Vent0
    replied
    Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
    A question. In the story for the story book witch hunt, man kills what I believe is a pure werewolf in one shot by a silver bullet to the mouth through the roof of it. Even being a pure werewolf (likely) is it possible to one shot one with these circumstances

Also will be reading tooth and nail afterwards. Thanks ArcaneArts
    Well, Silver does Aggravated Damage, so it just needs to do Health boxes in damage. Assuming he got a good roll (and narrating "shot through the mouth" sounds like it), then yeah. It isn't certain, but definitely possible.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X